V22 Repeater - Too much fun!

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by flatlander, Dec 5, 2017.

1. flatlander

flatlander

Got started on this almost 2 years ago - invoice for a Stiller 2500XR action is dated 2/23/16. I'd seen an ad on another forum for a run of very classy 22LR trainers based on the Stiller repeater action, Bartlein bbls, & Manners Elite carbon fiber shell stocks. Thought about how nice it'd be to own a rifle like those in the ad, but choked on the $4200+ price. Decided to build one myself, so placed a call to Curtis at Stiller. They had actions in stock, so all it took was to put a check in the mail. Long story short - I wound up doing a Krieger bbl, using a PTG Ultimate EPS reamer. Manners had listed an extra T4A Elite in molded-in Elite GAP camo that was identical to those being used in that run of trainers that initially peaked my interest, so I snagged it, along with a Seekins CF DBM unit that I modified to work with the inlet in this stock. What I wound up with was a 13lb rifle that shot very well, and was a near perfect duplicate of my CF PRS-type rifles. The only thing I didn't really care for was that it used little 10rd curved Savage magazines that made fast reloads a bit awkward.

Then I started reading about Mike Bush's 10rd AICS-style magazines being used in modified 40X 22RF actions. Hoser dangled the carrot, and I went for it. I had a couple of complete 40X/XB rifles purchased from the CMP 12-13yrs ago that weren't doing anything but taking up space & gathering dust in the closet, so the older 722-style action was sent off to Jonathan Elrod in Denver, NC for the repeater mod that uses the Bush mags. I fitted & chambered a Benchmark 3-groove bbl for it when it came back, and put it into a B&C #2015 stock (very similar to a McM A5 w/o the butt hook, inletted for DBM). I used a Jewell HVR trigger on this rifle, and have been very pleased with it ever since. Wound up selling the Stiller to a friend who was interested in it, and put that money into converting the 40XB into another repeater, but put a Lilja titebore bbl on this one. With the addition of two Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes, I had a couple of really excellent rifles - what more could I have wanted?

Then Mike Bush partnered with Paul Parrot of Vudoo Gun Works in St. George, Utah to bring his custom 40X-based 22RF repeater into production - I resisted the temptation for awhile, but when a friend & customer bought one of their complete rifles & brought it to one of the 22RF PR matches he runs, I decided it was just too cool a rifle, and called Paul to order an action. I still had a couple of Krieger 22RF bbl blanks in sendero contour on hand, so when the action arrived, I went right to work on getting one done for it. The Manners Elite T4A I'd ordered for this project was already here, as was another Jewell HVR & Cronus scope. This is the end result: DSC_1157.JPG

2. holstil

holstil Silver $$ Contributor

Me likey!!

3. missed

missed

I am planning on getting one myself. Just waiting on the lefties. I need to order a Manners T4A or PRS2 for it. I may just get the Greyboe for now and sell it when the Manners gets here. I will have a lefty CZ452 in a T4A for sale soon!

4. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

May be longer then we think, when I asked about a left hand ver I got nothing...

5. Hoser

Hoser

Awesome. Cant wait to see it in person...

6. missed

missed

I talked to him a few weeks ago, they are on the horizon. First part of next year was the projection.

7. jbell

jbell

Very nice, I am looking forward to hearing how it shoots!

8. flatlander

flatlander

jesse, it shoots just fine at 50yds, and pretty respectable at 200. Haven't had time yet to do any shooting at 100yds, or guess I should say I preferred to take the time to try it at 200 instead of settling for shooting at 100. These two 5-shot groups were shot with SK Rifle Match top, immediately followed by five of SK Pistol Match on the bottom. I'd spent all day working on the rifle in the shop, and got out just before it got too dark to shoot; was a bit tired. Put 20rds through the new bbl, including getting the scope zeroed, turret knobs set to zero, and setting the zero stop. Was shooting both the SK grades, plus a few rounds of Lapua Center-X, before finishing the session with these two groups.

Attached Files:

boltfluter likes this.
  9. longbow

longbow Silver $$ Contributor

Price for A 40X clone 22RF Action?

10. flatlander

flatlander

$1320 MSRP for an action, $1770 for a barreled action - as per Vudoo's website.

11. XTR

XTR

I see the action and barreled action prices on the website. How much do they get for the mags to go with them? (curious because I have a McM A5 lying around that needs a rifle in it)

12. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

From what I have read the action or barreled action come with 1 mag. Might have been on the SH thread Mike stated that mags used to be $50 each but now are $40 each or 3 for $100. Least that is what my failing memory recalls!

13. XTR

XTR

I seem to recall that they fit into a standard M5 bottom metal (AICS pattern)

14. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

Yes they do, Mike was thinking ahead for sure with his design of a mag that fit many different and popular bottom metal choices that were designed for AI mags.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. flatlander

flatlander

I took the time to get the bbl & DBM CeraKoted graphite black to match the melonited action yesterday - think it looks a bit better, more finished now. DSC_1161.JPG

16. longbow

Dennis. Very Trick, where are we at on your build for $$$. worth every penny. thanks for posting this .Pete

17. Rob01

Rob01

Yup they do as mentioned and I have been using them in my Manners mini chassis and they run perfectly. The Vudoo V22 is one of the funnest rifles I have ever shot. Going to shoot my first match with it tomorrow in the rain and snow in NC LOL

My team mate and me getting some chrono numbers the other day with our rifles.

[​IMG]

18. flatlander

flatlander

pete - wish you wouldn't have asked - because I wouldn't have added it up if you hadn't...
    I'm at $2460 just for parts, with my ffl discount - and that doesn't include the scope or rings or my labor. Still not sorry I built it for myself, but...
    Whoops - just took a look at the last photo of it that I posted - forgot to add the cost of the PTG DBM - $125. And the Harris bipod isn't included either.

19. longbow

Dennis. Face it...A couple very nice guns and we are done...Right? I passed this thread onto a younger Buddy to instill in him, buy quality! Who needs three 22's, sell em all and put that one together that will do it and maybe match up with your hunting gun. This is the perfect "build my centerfire" to match or vice versa. Nothing beats a matched pair. Nothing beats a quality 22RF especially with the magazine that is on your gun. Thanks again...Pete

20. Rob01

Rob01

Pete I agree 100%. Got out this past weekend with my V22 to a match in NC. The rifle felt just like my centerfire and it made a very smooth transition going to my first .22LR match.

[​IMG]