Unknown accuracy issue with 6bra.

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Bataction, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Bataction

Bataction Silver $$ Contributor

Anyone had any issues in the bartlein barrels 1:8 twist 6mm 5r?

2. Nightraider

Nightraider

I've cut about 200 this year and haven't seen an issue. What are you seeing as an issue.

GSS likes this.
  3. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

I had one that I chambered in 6mmBR that was really hard to tune. Once I found the bullet and powder combo it liked it shoots great. If you have issues contact Frank at Bartlein. Very good guy to deal with, he will get you taken care of.

corning likes this.
  4. Bataction

Accuracy it will shoot the first 3 shots into a small ragged hole at 200yards then string a vertical group straight down. I have changed scopes two vx6 a 45x and then a March. Changed bedded a5 Mcmillan then to a chassis. Chamber is 6bra I have put around 500 rounds thru this rifle trying to figure it out. Kelbly’s atlas tactical action Mpa chassis. I have tried 107 sierras 105 bergers vlds/ hybrids 95 bergers 90 bergers 108 bergers. Federal 205m primers cci 400s and 450s. All lapua cases.

5. Lbart

Lbart

I've never had any issues, but if I even thought I had one, I would first call them 262-677-1717. Great barrels and even greater people. They are the best!

B Nettesheim, dmoran, GSS and 2 others like this.
  6. Nightraider

Nightraider

Sounds like a load/ node issue.

7. Bataction

What bullet/powder did you end up settling on?

8. jamesh

jamesh Gold $$ Contributor

Barrel is the last thing I'd suspect bedding. Barrel touching stock bolt handle touching stock brass needs trimmed brass needs turned more. Just a few things I'd look at

GSS likes this.
  9. dirtworks5

dirtworks5 Gold $$ Contributor

Neck tension will cause those issues. Also, check your brass length and thickness.
    Vern

10. Bataction

Barrel not touching in the a5 or mpa chassis.
    Brass was trimmed to length before fire forming. I actually did take .002 more off the necks in .001 increments to see if it would change and it did not.

11. accuracyman

accuracyman

No issues ever with a Bartlein barrel. My 6XC is an 8 twist 5R Bartlein and it is a hammer. Wore out the first chamber throat so I cut it off three inches and re-chambered. It's a hammer once again. Some barrels are just difficult to find that tune sometimes so they require a little more patience. Don't give up.

12. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett

Every barrel maker accidentally puts out a barrel that does not shoot to expectations.The cream comes to the top when this happens.I got the most condescending reach around when I called them about my last barrel.I will never shoot them again !

Pyscodog, WSMNUT and Bataction like this.
  13. Bataction

That’s pretty much how my call went after they looked at my barrel. I have put over 500 rounds through this barrel with no consistency. Followed the nodes measured off my labradar changed scopes changed from bedding to a chassis and still nothing. The list of reasons they gave me what may be wrong where comical to say the lease. The entire gun is bad except the barrel.

14. golong

golong

I have Bartlein's in 3 chambers, 5 barrels this year. No issues.

I am about as far away from being a smith as I am POTUS, but I would say if the barrel was bad then it would likely not shoot at all. If it starts good every session then goes bad on the 4th shot, look at the lug, barrel torque, action screw torque -- something that changes with heat.

15. FrankG

FrankG

So what’s your name and who we’re you talking to?

mrjdasr, dmoran, Mulligan and 8 others like this.
  16. FrankG

FrankG

So I assume you sent the barrel in and someone looked at it and talked to you about it etc...whom did you talk to/work with on it?

Call me tomorrow at 262-677-1717. Don’t go to my phone extension. Have one of the guys come and find me. I’m usually on the phone or out in the shop. Will go over what is going on, and from where it started to where your at now.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Mulligan, Tommie, HTSmith and 14 others like this.
  17. Bataction

ill send you a pm I don’t want to throw someone’s personal business out there.

338 Mollett likes this.
  18. FrankG

FrankG

Define that?

Good example is just a few months ago a customer had a rifle in 6.5CM. I won’t name the gun maker/builder as it’s not the point here. The complaint was the rifle/barrel only shot .5xx moa groups with box ammo. I’ll repeat with box ammo. Box ammo in a SAAMI min spec chamber. We don’t make the ammo. You get box ammo that is shooting .7moa or better that’s about as good as it gets at times. No matter what we did or the builder had to say nothing was going to make the customer happy. We replaced the barrel and the builder redid the installation at n/c as well. Guess what the guy is happy and the gun shoots as good or better.

I gave that barrel to an ammunition maker as I knew they had a few of that builders rifles. Guess what it shot as good or better for them with box ammo. With handloads it would shoot in the .3xx’s with out trying hard.

At times how a barrel is fitted on each individual action can have a bearing on how the rifle shoots. How much it’s tightened onto the receiver etc...all can effect the tune. How a gun shoots with a given set up might not have nothing to do with the barrel itself being supposedly bad. There are other things that come into play that we don’t necessarily have control over. At times we are looking at only one piece of the puzzle.

Got a X caliber barrel in the shop right now. Dimensionally and visually there is nothing wrong with the barrel. Customer did his own gunsmithing. Mark spent a few days cleaning the barrel. Yes not one but several. There was excessive carbon build up amongst other things that we seen issues with. The extra work and time we put into it is all being done at n/c. All we ask is to send it back and have the customer give it an honest try and go with some of our suggestions. First comment back was, “so your not going to replace it?”. All we are asking for is the customer to give it an honest try.

In the past I’ve had/requested that customers send in they’re whole rifle (don’t need the scope) and if I cannot find anything wrong with it I’ve even taken it out and shot it to try and figure out what is going on/fix it etc...what gets hard about this at times are odd caliber chambers that it makes it cumbersome to load and test for.

Got a 308win tactical rifle in from a Police officer from TX. Complaint was the gun shot 1 1/4” groups at 100 yards. Gun came in and looked the whole thing over. Only thing I could find wrong was the muzzles crown had a ding to one land and one groove and you couldn’t see it with the naked eye or even a eye loupe but I could pick it up with the bore scope. Barrel had 110 rounds on it. I took it apart and recrowned the muzzle and took the rifle out and shot it. First group with box ammo it shot a 1/4” group at a 100 yards. Next group came in at a .3xx. I sent the rifle back with the fired brass and 10 unfired rounds of ammo so he could shoot the same stuff I put thru it. Guess what....he was happy and the gun shot fine etc...the point is the barrel got blamed for it right away. First question the customer asks was, “well how did that happen to the crown?” It was either the shooter damaged it from cleaning or the builder didn’t properly crown the muzzle. I didn’t see it right after the rifle was built so I can only guess.

Point is guys there are more things going on than we all see at times. We the barrel maker are only one part of it.

Later, Frank

19. FrankG

FrankG

That’s cool and understood and appreciated!

Later, Frank

Brady W likes this.
  20. 338 Mollett

338 Mollett

Like you I didn't just put a few rounds down the tube.During May and June I had 260rnds of various tests to include 3 primers,5 bullets ,6primers and cut the crown back three times in 3/4 inch increments.All testing was done in cherry picked conditions that 's why it took two months.

Bataction likes this.