UBR-Two Brothers Rifle Range-Auburn KY-October Match

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Greyfox, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

Twenty two rifles went to the line at Two Brothers yesterday and had a fine shoot. The wind and some rain challenged things a bit. We had sustained switching winds of 15 mph with gusts around 25, so the scores weren't as high as the recent past. But the competition was fierce and a good time had by all. We had three rookies who had never shot a centerfire benchrest match before, Curtis & Ethan Riterling and Tom Aldridge. I don't know the Riterling's history, but Tom has competed quite a bit in rimfire benchrest. His experience showed as he finished 3rd in the GA shooting a borrowed rifle and even shot one perfect 66 on the 3rd card of the 200 yard match. The next highest score on any 200 yard relay was a 63. We have one more match at Two Brothers the first Saturday in November and one at Strategic Edge on October 28th.

Rick

Attached Files:

2. mr.big

mr.big

is that a P or a B beside Larry Moores 6 ??

3. Greyfox

"It's a "P". Larry shot a 6PPC. I think he's done with the 30 for a while."

My bad, I just spoke to Larry and that was my mistake. It was a Southern 6BRAAAW
    and an 80gr bullet. So, it should have been "B".

Rick

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I spoke with him yesterday. He said he was shooting his 80 grain bullets in a new 6BRA that he was fireforming brass in.. I didn't shoot yesterday, as I had other obligations, but was there for a bit.

Clearly, yesterday's conditions made it a shooter's day more so than a day to proclaim a new gun and chamber as being better or worse than other proven cartridges/guns, but it was a good day to have the better bc bullets and obviously, it worked out well for him yesterday.

Congrats to Larry on some fine shooting in what looked like very trying conditions. Maybe he'll chime in but I think he said he was running his 80's at about 3,250 fps with 8208 powder. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing this on here.:oops: Sounds pretty mild but he talked like it was shooting well for him.

I have some of his 80's but haven't tried them yet. Need to get my 6 Grendel tuned up with them and give it a go soon.

5. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

The secret weapon has been uncovered. LDS

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  6. mr.big

mr.big

monkey see monkey do

7. mr.big

mr.big

he has that Southern Gentleman drawl down pat ,LOL

8. Greyfox

Larry is one of my best buds, so I'm not about to make light of his win. But, he has won before as have a lot of other folks. The bunch that shoots at TB is some of the best there is. The sun don't shine on the same dog's a$$ every day. Now, if he does that with some consistency, then it might be good to pay attention. I'd be more likely to pay attention to Garry Lawrence shooting that new ABC barrel. But that's just me. A person might check his last two matches.

9. mr.big

mr.big

those two 264`s JR shot are off the chain also,,

10. Greyfox

As I said, Jr is one of the best. But he doesn't win every match either. We all have good days and some not as good. So, is it the Indian or the arrow?

11. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

I have no idea which it is but hats off to all that finish in the top few with regularity, they do it against a very very tough field of shooters. Congrats

gunsandgunsmithing and mr.big like this.
  12. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

Mighty nice shooting Mr. Moore, it sure is great when a plan comes together!! Enjoy your win!

It appears your competition is not very happy about your new ride, or those new 80 gr pinwheelers....lol!

It might get ugly once you finish fireforming......

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  13. birdog

birdog DASHER DOME Gold $$ Contributor

I don't have a dog in this, but kinda strange when the top scoring individual is not mentioned in the write up.
    There are some tough to beat shooters on that list, and to have the top score is an achievement no matter the caliber or bullet.
    Looks like there may be a new contender (cartridge) on the line!

Congrats Larry on some fine shooting!!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  14. mr.big

mr.big

no doubt the guys that shoot these matches on a regular basis are really good,,I havent been able to shoot but one match this year and its killin me,,but I keep up with how it goes from the score sheets Rick puts out,,and ever month when I check the scores it wouldnt surprise me if any one of 10-12 different guys wins,,if Ron Jackson showed up and won wouldnt surprise me at all,,if Chester brought some 16 year old that never shot a match and won wouldnt surprise me either,,if Rick shot a 515 with that Beggs wouldnt surprise me at all,,if Bob Baker came in 5th at 100 and 4th at 200 and won the GA wouldnt surprise me,,nothing that Gary and JR does would surprise me ,,and for sure dont over look the guys that have the will to drive up and shoot from a wheelchair as they will clean your clock,,

it is for sure a great group of guys to shoot with and IMO Larry breaking out of the box to shoot against some of the best score shooters in the South East with something new shows me that crowd aint happy just being the best but trying to find new ways to get better,,,,if it hadnt been for a couple guys trying something new we`d all still be shooting 222`s,,

15. tndeer

tndeer

This was my first centerfire match, and I am hooked. It was a great bunch of guys shooting there, and I picked up a few tips to get me on the way of having my own setup. The Greyfox has been very helpful getting me started, and now I am going to let him get my wife hooked at the Strategic Edge match. He was very gracious in allowing me to use his equipment. She has been kicking my tail on the rimfire trail this year, so maybe I can get a little payback if I can get her behind a centerfire! So watch out, I don't call her Little Annie for nothing, lol!

16. Greyfox

Not really strange and certainly no slight to Larry. Twenty one shooters participated and all but maybe two of the newbies have copies of the scores. Anyone can feel free to share. I run two matches every month, Strategic Edge and Two Brothers. It gets repetitive for me to just write about who won as anyone can look at the scores and see that. I try to create variety and give recognition to new guys and things unusual. Anybody who knows what took place at the match can feel free to talk about what they felt was important. I just choose to do it the way I do.

Rick

tmwinds, jimmymac and Redneck01 like this.
  17. Redneck01

Redneck01

Larry is well known by many members on this forum for his shooting and bullet making business (Hillbilly Bullets). Not but a few if any at TB were shooting his bullets. He's been on top many times before, a previous SSOY,and very close to the top in other years. He may be getting a little smarter in his old age, birthday tomorrow , 10-11, by limiting the old 30 cal use. Shooters beware, the ole bear is back!

nonotone, Greyfox and tclaunch like this.
  18. tclaunch

I have really enjoyed our conversations, his enthusiasm is contagious, I hope I am still winning matches, and trying new ideas into my 70's as well.

19. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I didn't see anything that I think implies anyone isn't happy for Larry or for his new "ride". I certainly didn't mean anything of the sort. I was simply stating that conditions were tough to be evaluating any gun's potential in, and that the better bc of the 80's was probably a good thing in those kind of conditions. Nothing more, nothing less, Tim.

I'm a big fan of Larry and consider him a good friend. I'm always happy for him when he does well...which is pretty danged often!

I think the world of virtually every regular at Gallatin/Two Brothers, Buck Creek, BGSL and most every place we contest UBR at, but I can't think of anyone that I'd rather see win than Larry...except maybe me.;) Lol!

I wasn't there for the whole match Saturday but was there long enough to see that whoever won had to work for it. Kudos to Larry and to all the winners.--Mike Ezell

20. tclaunch

Thanks for clearing that up. I`m of the opinion the new chambering spoke quite well of its potential, especially with such a talented field, excluding yourself of course, with fireform loads. I am still amazed. I would think you would have shared this opinion. But I know how competitors are from being one myself!!!

I`m always happy when someone shoots well with something I have had my hands on, I know you know that feeling. Working with Larry is quite nice as he is simply a super nice fella. I`ll do all I can to help him.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Gabe22BR and LarryDScott like this.