U.S. Special Operators Will Soon Be Using This 6.5mm "Assault" Machine Gun

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by PatMiles, May 22, 2019.

1. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

2. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

i dont pretend to know anything about this stuff because i dont but didnt SOCOM just adopt 300 Norma for something. mabie to replace 338 lapua for snipers?

3. DaveTooley

Only a few were using the 338 Lapua. The new ASR rifle by Barrett is to be a 300 Norma with the 338 Norma as the anti material round. For the common knuckle draggers this is a big step up from the 300 WM. But it's one of those "be careful what you wish for" things.

hoz53 likes this.
  4. ebb

ebb

"this is not the 6.8 from a decade ago, it is something totally new with performance close to a 270 Winchester short mag." WOW

Rstrick0352 likes this.
  5. DaveTooley

Each company submitting has their own cartridge. What absolutely doesn't make sense is to get the performance they want pressures are running 80K PSI. NOW WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

simo hayha and hogpatrol like this.
  6. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks Dave

7. DaveTooley

8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Nineteenth century technology for a twenty first century war. Meanwhile the bad guys are still using AK47s and RPGs. Military intelligence, the original oxymoron. More taxpayer money pissed away to keep someone in a job.

9. DaveTooley

everyone is looking for a material solution to a training problem

hogpatrol and GotRDid like this.
  10. ebb

ebb

Is that why the cartridge shown has a steel base?

11. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting read. Aspects such as materiel damage vs anti personnel - had not thought of that differentiation.
    The 6.8 dia? Never could figure that. But as I follow, I'm finding out even more I didn't know or had even considered.
    The 80k pressure figure - I'd like to do some reading on your info source Dave. Hope you won't have to kill me after you tell me. :)

12. DaveTooley

Nah all this is open source. The 6.8 supposedly is the smallest diameter that lets them develop all the different projectiles needed. There's always one requirement that drives these things. They needed 80K psi to get to a level of performance to defeat level body armor at 600yds. Sounds simple enough but if 80K is normal operating pressure then the system has to function when pressures are 90K+. There's a gov document somewhere but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Laurie likes this.
  13. rr2030

rr2030

The thought crossed my mind that 1000 years from now, military historians will be talking about the Creedmoor, and not a word will be spoken about the other 6 and 6.5 chamberings. Creedmoor will live on ...........