U.S. Special Operators Will Soon Be Using This 6.5mm "Assault" Machine Gun

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by PatMiles, May 22, 2019.

1. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Creedmoor fans are jumping for joy,internet warriors are too...something else to bitch about .:rolleyes: 6.5 Creedmoor has it's merits...pretty simple really .

2. Bindi2

Bindi2

Why don't they just adopt the 7.62x39

3. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

The application for these is specific and very methodically planned, this isnt a general infantryman weapon.

Rstrick0352 and Laurie like this.
  4. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Are you kidding? Congress would launch ANOTHER investigation on why we adopted a Russian military cartridge!:eek: That would burn up another 2 years!:mad:

5. eric32

eric32 Shooting when I can Gold $$ Contributor

Hahaha

6. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

It's all about the money, political connections and which senatorial district the manufacturers are based and whose turn it is to get a nice juicy government contract. Thinking this is better than anything else? Not in my opinion.

Zero333 and Joe Salt like this.
  7. saunaking

saunaking

I'm not sure what one of these weigh, but I know what the old "60" weighed. My A-gunner usually had one spare barrel with him, and if we were lucky we found any extra barrel for someone in the squad to carry. You could turn one of those barrels into a banana pretty quick when the action started. It was easy to weld the barrel to the receiver if you weren't switching the barrels out fast enough. One advantage would be slightly lighter ammo to carry. I got out in 76', so I'm sure there are lots of fancy gadgets for these types of weapons that the "Corps" never saw

8. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Probably because it has the ballistics of a mortar vs the laser like trajectory of the almighty six point five!

9. rr2030

rr2030

It's really killing some guys on this forum that anything Creedmoor was chosen over anything they feel would be superior to whatever their favorite chambering is. I am enjoying this.

10. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

I wonder what the response would be if they had announced 6.5x47. I'm curious if all these negative nellys would be piping up still.

Grimstod, DHuffman and hogpatrol like this.
  11. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Just think, way more powerful than the 223/5.56 (Assault) rifle criminals and school shooters have favored, by the logic of politicians, now they will have this really powerful assault machine gun to do their crimes. Wonder when gun control politicians will jump on a ban on these.. Being sarcastic ? Yes, I am, but just watch.. Fienstein will lead the charge.

hogpatrol likes this.
  12. hogpatrol

It wouldn't make any difference what they chose. Just follow the money, who's building these weapons systems and where they are located.

State of manufacture: South Carolina represented by Lindsey Graham, head of the Judiciary committee, also serves on the Defense Department subcommittee.

https://www.lgraham.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/biography

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Zero333, nmkid, GotRDid and 1 other person like this.
  13. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

"Just follow the money" the military hardly ever goes for any new system without the prodding from congress, and congress never does anything without some incentive mainly in the form of $$$. So follow the money, Who stands to profit ??

hogpatrol, GotRDid and 284winner like this.
  14. hogpatrol

15. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Not saying ANY Senator/legislator would not take lobby $$ to help steer a project but the M249 is already produced in SC unless I am totally wrong. This will likely be the platform for the 6.5 Creedmoor MG so nothing but a barrel change in my opinion. The 6.5 Creedmoor was a Hornady project. Maybe look at Hornady for the decision to move to the Creedmoor? After all, didn't SOCOM already announce it had chosen the 300PRC for long range snipers?
    All those "haters" gonna hate but the 6.5 Creedmoor's immediate success is what prompted the 6.5-47L ever getting to our shores for a successful launch here. I have rifles in both and, in my opinion, the 6.5-47L is best for LRBR shooting and 6.5 Creedmoor is best for "precision rifle" shooting (of the 6.5 calibers).
    Hang a Talisman on me!

DHuffman, Bc'z and hogpatrol like this.
  16. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Hard to argue that. It's exactly how it works.

hogpatrol likes this.
  17. hogpatrol

No hate for the CM. In the last few decades, it's the best thing that's ever happened to the gun industry. It's made moa shooters out of 3 moa shooters. Other than the nauseating hype, what's not to like? :D

Evan, DHuffman and Bc'z like this.
  18. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

What the hell is not to like about it, it's sure going to shoot further than that dumb 223 isn't it and when things are over 1000 yards away your going to wish you had A CREEDMOOR !

Joe Salt

19. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

And hit a helluva lot harder!

'Freak and hogpatrol like this.
  20. Laurie

Laurie

I'm sure that's the case. I wonder what application is in mind here. The British Army and reportedly the USMC are withdrawing the FN Minimi 5.56 SAW (L110 UK; M249 US), in the UK's case at least partly replacing it with the 7.62mm L129A1 designated marksmen 'sharpshooter' semi-autos, but retaining the 7.62mm GP Machinegun (FN MAG or L7A1 in British forces terminology) for long-range suppressive fire.

The arguments against the 5.56mm SAW are an insufficient gain over the basic assault rifle in return for the extra weight, unit experience suggesting a true effective range of only 250 metres.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/21/british-army-drop-light-machine-guns/

Maybe SOCOM sees a 6.5mm LMG as overcoming that drawback and also replacing heavier 7.62mm machineguns like the M60 for long-range fire.

Bill Alexander argued after all (and still does I believe) that his little 6.5mm Grendel not only outperforms the 5.56 in the short/medium range role, but actually offers better long-range ballistics and retained bullet energy than the 7.62 in the machinegun role.

joshb likes this.