Two left. Picatinny scope checkers

Discussion in 'Commercial Sales by Paid Sponsors' started by AlloyTargets, Aug 3, 2017.

1. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

dedeadeye and Alex Wheeler like this.
  2. pat fulghum

pat fulghum Gold $$ Contributor

If I understand the design correctly..

No need to remove currently mounted scope and rings.
    Your device will attach to two open areas on the pic rail and provide a second pic rail for 2nd scope.

Slick design!!
    Ordered!

3. AlloyTargets

Yes, sir. Thanks!

4. Jay Christopherson

Jay Christopherson it's turtles, all the way down Administrator

The prototype was great, but the improvements Travis did after testing made a great product even better.

AlloyTargets likes this.
  5. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

6. AlloyTargets

Thanks for the orders, everyone. Need about 7 more pre-orders, then we'll probably close it down until they are in stock.
    Save $20 while you still can!!!!

7. BBlount

BBlount Gold $$ Contributor

You have one more order.

AlloyTargets likes this.
  8. randy x

randy x Gold $$ Contributor

Ready for mine. Lol

AlloyTargets likes this.
  9. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I bet @Dave L Kiff could sell you a couple hundred feet :)

10. AlloyTargets

11. AlloyTargets

I now have a few weeks of R&D and some more feedback from field testing. The product has changed quite a bit from the schematics that we have posted in our online store. The information that I am posting here is the most current. We will update our website next.

The bad news... The checker has lost some flexibility. It no longer has two adjustable arms for different rail mounting options. It now MUST be mounted between your rings only! I felt it necessary to minimize the possibility of the mount moving. The arms are now a single unit, and the rail section is doweled in place with 1/8" dowels and fastened with two #10-32 socket head cap screws.

The good news... The design is solid, and they will be supplied with an additional rail section that will allow the end user to bolt a second rail (again, pinned) directly over the rifle's rail. This will allow it to be used as a conventional checker. There are two excellent reasons for doing this. First, you may have scope/ ring combos that the checker won't fit underneath (I found this out the hard way last Saturday). Second, if the checker were to move on the rail, the results would not be skewed.

I will be posting several pics, captioned with the design ideas.

The mount in the pictures will be shipping out today to @whysman

If you have pre-ordered a checker and aren't happy with the new design, we'll gladly refund your money. Simply send an email to support@fieldandcaveoutfitters.com. Mention your order number and that you would like a refund and we'll get right on it.

IMG_58811.jpg

Final design dissembled. Note the dowels that locate the clamp axially. This lines up the bolts and holds the clamp and unit together under recoil. These are now standard, unmodified, #10-32 SHCS x 2-1/2" LNG. this gives the proper unthreaded length to mate against your rail (no damage) and serve as the recoil lugs. The web section is tapped all the way thru, so you get 1/2" of thread engagement. This is important because we torque these to about 50 in/ lbs - you won't pull out the threads after repeated use. The spacing between the bolts will accommodate Mil-Spec rails as well as those on Panda F-Class actions. This compatibility was a major challenge in the design.

boltfluter and whysman like this.
  12. AlloyTargets

IMG_58791.jpg

The mount now contacts three lugs on each side. The contact areas are .900" long. Note counterbores and dowel holes for user installed second rail.

IMG_58801.jpg

The inside of the clamp itself. Note machined slots for dowel engagement. The clamp is cold rolled steel, cold blued.

13. AlloyTargets

IMG_58721.jpg

It measures 2.55" wide, so you'll need a little more than that between your rings.

IMG_58731.jpg

It measures 5/16" thick above your rail. You'll need at least that much clearance. Be sure to consider the erector tube spring on NF Benchrest Models, IORs, etc. More on that below...

14. AlloyTargets

IMG_58741.jpg

As stated, each unit will be supplied with an additional rail section & the fasteners to install it. Note, dowels not pictured, but rail will be supplied with the dowels pressed in.

IMG_58751.jpg

So... You can run it like this.

15. AlloyTargets

I don't have a frozen scope, but wanted to test it for myself. I took a Panda F-Class 6BR with an IOR36X Benchrest to the range with some custom targets that I made up. I was going to mount this monster on the checker and look for relative movement. It's a NF ATACR 5-25 x 56 weighing in at a trim 2 pounds, 13.5 OZ!

IMG_58821.jpg

I got to the range only to find that the checker wouldn't clear the external erector spring on my IOR. Crap! So I did the only thing that I could...

IMG_58831.jpg

I shot 5 shot groups at 50 yards. 2 control groups with the standard IOR (top). Then I removed the scope, mounted the checker and the NF ATACR and shot a group using that big guy hanging 3-5/16" off to the left. Even though it torqued terribly under recoil, the group shot with the NF was tighter than the control groups.

I realize that this test doesn't prove anything, but it absolutely tells me that the mount didn't move much. Even a few ten thousandths of an inch would have shown on target.

16. whysman

whysman Steve Harp Gold $$ Contributor

Looks great Travis. I am going to try to get out to the range this weekend to test a couple scopes. I'll keep you posted

17. AlloyTargets

Great. It's been dropped off with USPS. Small Flat Rate box. You should get it tomorrow or Thurs.

whysman likes this.
  18. pat fulghum

pat fulghum Gold $$ Contributor

That is what I liked about the earlier design, and I'm glad you remembered the "red headed step child" call Panda Pic Rail

ETA on final delivery for those of us who ordered early?

bpmoss1 likes this.
  19. AlloyTargets

I had to. I have two such children! We are still looking at the week of 9/6. Thanks!

bpmoss1 likes this.
  20. whysman

whysman Steve Harp Gold $$ Contributor

I was able to get out to the range this morning and test the latest version of the @AlloyTargets scope checker mount.

Short story is that it worked like a champ.

When scope checkers became one of the hot threads months back, I was disappointed at the mounting options (e.g. no picatinny mount, which Travis's mount solves beatifully) and was also put off by commments that only a light recoiling chambering (one of the 6mm flavors) should be used. I currently run only .284s so this was a concern.

After seeing Travis enter the fray with his design (and reading the testing post from @Jay Christopherson using said mount), I was excited to get my hands on one. As Travis had mentioned in this thread, the design changed but in my opinion it was for the better. I was going to run it as originally intended, with my scopes to be checked mounded on the rifle rail and the scope checker mount secured between the rings. At the last minute I decided to change plans and added the second rail to the mount, and run it like a "traditional" scope checker.

I tested 4 scopes using my .284 Shehane and the mount did not budge. Follow common sense and the instructions Travis includes and you'll be good to go. I decided not to post my data on the results as it doesn't really cover any new ground. I was pleasantly surprised at my results overall but as @Alex Wheeler has stated before, you need to check your scopes instead of relying on what others have tested for the same brand (e.g. There was a test done by @tom recently that showed very poor results for a particular model scope, my test showed much more positive results on the same model).

If you have not ordered one of the @AlloyTargets scope checkers yet, I would highly recommend getting one.

Steve

Jay Christopherson likes this.