Tuning a 1010 scale

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by SPJ, Aug 25, 2018.

1. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Gents
    What is the best way to maintain tune on my RCBS 1010
    Cleaning?
    Adjusting?
    Don't mess with it?
    They are ridiculously accurate and sensitive but sometimes a kernel difference when returning to zero.
    Maybe stop breathing around it?
    J

2. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

Get with @BoydAllen
    He walked me through tuning mine and it works great.
    CW

SPJ likes this.
  3. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

after cleaning the knife edge pivot, try burnishing it with a very small amount of pencil lead. it worked on my Scott Parker tuned M5.

boltfluter and SPJ like this.
  4. SPJ

What would you use to clean the knife edges?

5. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

i use some rubbing alcohol and a cotton patch and then gently blow off any residue or cotton threads with an air can

Boyd is the man with this stuff. i believe it was him that talked about the pencil lead mod

6. wanttobe

wanttobe

Would this work on the 5-0-5

dbaird likes this.
  7. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?75444-Accurize-a-balance-beam-scale Wondered if I could get that link copied. Whew—. As the guy above said Boyd Allen has the goods on doing this job.

8. 1066

Your problem is more than possible to be dust in the "V" blocks - a quick way would be to use a cotton bud with some sort of spirt or alcohol. A better way would be to take the bearings out and give them, and their housings, a good scrub all round with a toothbrush, again with alcohol.

It could also be the tips of the knife edges touching the bearing end plates. In a perfect world, this shouldn't matter, the theory is that the tips of the knife edge are exactly in line with the blade edge, as the beam rotates, the tip, if it's touching, should induce very little friction as the beam rotates round this perfect pivot point. However, nothing is simple, the bearings on the RCBS range are all free floating and wobble about a good bit when in use (mostly a good point)but the plate stays still. Also if the tip is not quite in line with the blade edge the tip tries to scribe an arc on the end plate which causes a good deal of friction.

To test if it's an end plate problem, just remove them and try to zero your scales again, if you still have the same problem at least you know it's not that.

The other area where you may have problems is the panhanger stirrup, it should be free to hang on the centre of it's own little knife edges and not rubbing.

Just as a matter of interest, as the knife edges of these scale are not available as spares I've decided to make my own.

[​IMG]

9. SPJ

Very informative Gents
    My scale is very accurate and sensitive. I'll look into delicate cleaning the V blocks and check the pan hanger.
    My Electric scale on its best day doesn't compare.
    J

10. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

And the position of the hook of the pan holder on the loop it sits in can make a difference. Make sure it’s the same each time.

SPJ likes this.
  11. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

Yes

12. Rsadams

Rsadams

Boyd also helped me with mine... His advice returned mine to great again...

Mulligan and SPJ like this.
  13. SPJ

I have to keep in mind here that this is occasionally and only by maybe a kernel difference.
    No way in hell I could see that on paper"
    I'm just being anal
    J

boltfluter likes this.
  14. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

Get in touch with Scott Parker, get him to tune it and never look back. I have on of his tuned redding scales and it's amazingly repeatable. You can even watch it swing when you drop a half of a kernel of H4350.

Darrin

SPJ likes this.
  15. SPJ

I'll talk to Boyd tomorrow about maintenance and light cleaning
    Thx all
    J

DHuffman likes this.
  16. rogn

rogn Silver $$ Contributor

I notice that one thing is never mentioned about mechanical balances. When the balance is not in use it should be immobilized to prevent unnecessary wear on the critical knife edges. Air currents and other things can cause the balance to swing and after 30 or so years( mine is probably about 40 years old) the wear can add up resulting in a reduction in sensitivity. When mine is idle I try to move a vial of sight paint gently up against the pan to prevent unwanted motion.

17. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Some very good advice in this thread. My electronic scale is on its way out. In your opinion, what would be the best beam scale to purchase and have fine tuned? Thanks for any and all advice guys. Some good posts lately. :D:D

Paul

18. JMayo

JMayo

I have given up on my old worn out 1010. Bought a Sartorius. Un real how fast I get right to the EXACT weight.
    Weighing brass, bullets combining 5's.
    EXACT powder ....I hope to at least see grouping get more consistent.

19. SPJ

Paul
    I believe Scott Parker is the leading authority on these, he also has scales tuned and ready to ship at a fair price. I can PM his # if you wish.
    Jim

Puzzaz01 likes this.
  20. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Jim,

Just a little cautious about dealing directly with Scott. As mentioned lately, many times, he is MIA when getting product to a customer in a timely manner. I have had no personal dealings with him. Just what I have read on the forums. Apologies if this is incorrect. :);)

Paul

DHuffman and JMayo like this.