Tula Large Rifle Primer failure to fire

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by dminn1, Jul 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM.

1. dminn1

dminn1

I recently purchased 1000 Tula large rifle primers to try in my Savage model 10 with a .243 Win Shilen barrel. I am about 300 rounds into these and I have had 4 primers that have failed to fire on the first strike. All 4 have fired on the second strike. This is the only primer I have experienced this issue with in this rifle. I have noticed that the Tula primers take a good deal more force to seat to the bottom of the primer pocket and feel the anvil seat. I use an older Lee hand priming tool that gives excellent feel when seating primers and I don't think seating is the issue with the failures to fire. This rifle is a switch barrel rig and has several thousand rounds through it and many dry fires but no failures to fire on the first strike ever with any other primer.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue with the Tula primers.

Thanks
    Darin

2. Tom Baker

Tom Baker

I've shot many thousands of Tula primers, large and small, many different actions/firing pins. Never had a single failure. They don't read the wind very well sometimes though.

JLT likes this.
  3. perry42

perry42

The Tula primer has a "hard" cup and Savage firing pins are not known for hard strikes. A new firing pin spring and a firing pin 7 to 5 thousandths longer will cure the problem.

perry42

Ggmac, dkhunt14 and JFM33 like this.
  4. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

I've read of many instances when people fail to seat the Russian primers to the correct depth because their "feel" sense is set for others. Check that you are properly bottoming them out in the primer pocket.

dkhunt14 likes this.
  5. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

Yep

New firing pin spring and check firing pin projection

Make sure your primer.seating system is fully seating the primers. If half the firing.pin force is used to finish seating the primer that is your problem

6. brxbrad

brxbrad

Send them to me.....I'll get rid of them for you....

Ggmac and dkhunt14 like this.
  7. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

When I seat those primers, I seat them firmly then rotate the case 180* and do it again. I've never had a problem doing that way in a variety of rifles.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

dkhunt14 likes this.
  8. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

You can adjust the length your Savage firing pin protrudes out the front of the bolt head.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  9. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

The Tula primers come out of the package dome shaped. They seem to like being "sensitized" by being pushed down until a fair sized flat spot is apparent.

I've never had a failure with them either, but I've always seated them as above.

Dgd6mm and dkhunt14 like this.
  10. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Excellent practice to seat primers of any make. Been doing that for years and have rarely had a primer failure, except for a batch of bad primers a few years ago.

Alex

11. jepp2

jepp2 Silver $$ Contributor

Any primer that doesn't go on the first strike but goes on the second strike, wasn't seated deeply enough. At least that is my experience. I wouldn't increase protrusion to compensate for a problem with not seating the primers deeply enough to begin with.

dminn1 likes this.
  12. dminn1

dminn1

I will give them a little more push and see if I can flatten them out a bit. I failed to mention it in my first post but I seat, turn 180, and seat again as standard practice.

13. Killick

Killick Silver $$ Contributor

I've had Wolf failure to fire because I uniformed the primer pockets and that was enough to seat it beyond the pin protrusion. (Barnard action)

14. jr600yd

jr600yd

15. dminn1

dminn1

That is a possibility as I have uniformed the pockets on the Win brass I am running in this rifle. I will check protrusion and may lengthen it some.