truing remington 700 receivers

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by cmillard, Sep 9, 2017.

1. therifler

therifler Silver $$ Contributor

well from my experience of 35 years of doing this come aug.as a hobby and then a living. the guys that have money won't send an action to get trued for 50.00 . secondly the guys that can afford 50.00 won't send them because their content with the factory savage axis or rem. 753. just my findings after 35 years .

shortgrass, Ggmac and dmoran like this.
  2. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

In 2004 I built a 17-lb rifle from a trued and timed 700-Rem, for 1000-BR It has won 28% of the Relays that I have shot with it. Do like my custom action rifles better, but honestly can say that 700-Rem will shoot right with them as to raw accuracy.
    Donovan

DMC likes this.
  3. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

well if it was me I have a two year backlog of my own stuff to do so i bet youll keep busy.

4. cmillard

cmillard

Ok, so after all of these comments, has anyone bought a trued remington 700 from northland shooters supply?

5. therifler

therifler Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks to the fellows who commented on my post . CM not trying to talk you down just telling my experiences in this area . i charge 175.00 and guys tell me i"m to cheap.i know guys pass me up because they don't believe you can do a good job for that money .but a fair share of customs will finish behind my builds on Sunday afternoon.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass

Everyone wants to become a 'gunsmith'. Don't know why, must not have enough 'knowed-up snipers' comin' around to dazzle 'um with their BS!

7. cmillard

cmillard

Man, after all this, maybe nobody will want to get into this. Then what? Did you learn to reload on your own? I sure as hell did without anyones help. You gotta start somewhere

300_whisper, hpshooter and Someoldguy like this.
  8. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I think its natural to want to turn your hobby into a career. I have done it twice, first was drag racing->mechanic, sold the drag car, now I wont even change my own oil. Then competitive shooting-> rifle building, have not shot competitively in 3 years. I dont regret it, and in my second career I wanted that change, and love what I do. But I can warn you that your hobby will probably never be the same once it turns into your career.

rgc54, mac86951, jkohler and 4 others like this.
  9. Danley

Danley Danley Precision

I'll say this, I'm VERY skeptical about buiding on someone else's *trued* action ... unless I personally know who done the previous work. Sure there are 100's of guys out there that can do the job correctly, but there's even more that think they can.

shortgrass and Ggmac like this.
  10. Intheshop

Intheshop

Building vs shooting are separated by a thin,sometimes hazy line.I don't like that personally.....but that's just me.

We build some pretty bada$$ traditional bows.Set a few records even,I shoot a cpl 1970 Bear "A" handles (think outlaw "pro-street" match racing car).....rarely shooting bows we build.I get other guys to do shakedowns....they love it because they're into new,testing,etc etc.

Just feel strongly that the ability to separate hobby from pro level,be it building or just shooting is a stumbling block for a lot of guys.No biggy.We have a very nice machine shop,beautiful...painfully accurate equipment.Yet,have almost zero interest in "building" rifles.Heck,I get bored screwing a pre chambered Savage brrl in?Concentrating instead on shooting discipline with an unwavering desire to create as close to perfect handloads as possible.

So,as others have said....be careful turning hobbies into a business.I'm adding,don't assume your riflecraft will improve,just because you built it.

11. shortgrass

shortgrass

"Ya gotta start somewhere". So, I'll ask "why"? OK. Then start by working on (and screwing up) some of your own guns. That's what self taught guys do. The guy who is self taught and can take his hobby and turn it into a business is the exception, not the rule. Probably 80% of those that graduate from the gunsmithing schools (you know , Trinidad, Lassen, MCC and the others) never open a shop, and a fewer number go to work in an established shop. Of the 20% that do open a shop, over 2/3s of those give it up in a years time or less. And the "real" gunsmithing schools teach a complete curriculum, not just threading, chambering and action truing. Only a select, very few will 'make it' doing just those things. And, if you 're just thinking about making some money (or maybe not!) doing work for others requires a lot of other things besides tooling (like Ggmac said, FFL, insurance, ITAR)......... Lots of guys "fly under the radar", but they ain't looking (advertising?) to "true action" on an internet forum, either. Lots of 'experts' out there... What fails to get mentioned on the interdnet threads is, just like most everything else that's worthwhile, there is more to being a good gunsmith than meets the eye.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    JLT likes this.
  12. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

What is the name of your bow company?

13. Cigarcop

Cigarcop Gold $$ Contributor

Fighting that right now!!!!!.. Lol!

JLT likes this.
  14. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I already warned you!!!
    I wanted the change, but if you dont then be careful.

15. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

I enjoy building more than shooting. There I said it. --Jerry

300_whisper, Ggmac, Danny1788 and 2 others like this.
  16. shortgrass

shortgrass

Ya', but I like to see what I have built preform as expected! I enjoy the work too, until some 'internet trainee' tries to tell me how I should be doing it. After 40+yrs of machining experience, and 25yrs of fitting barrels, I don't think I need a 'coach'.

rayjay, Ggmac and carlsbad like this.
  17. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

Well, I have been watching this thread closely and have decided to throw my two cents in. I think there are several levels of "gunsmithing" and find the term a bit confusing to deal with. I consider my self a hobby type or amateur type rifle assembler with maybe a little rifle building on the side. Such a gray area between assembling rifle parts and building/modifying, tuning, finishing and other such attention to detail. If a rifle assembler was a gunsmith we would have one on every corner as I have talked to many that bought black rifle parts and then put them together and call themselves a smith. The real smith is the one who can build you a competition rifle, a tack driving hunting rifle, completely restore you Grandpa's model 99 or some such rusted heirloom and put you pistol back together after you brought it to him in a tupperware container. I know such a person and the last time we talked he was just about done with tolerating the "silly gunowners" and their problems. I have, on occasion, repair someone's firearm after they misused, abused, and mistreated their gun. Doesn't make me a gunsmith, just somebody lucky/smart enough to figure it out.
    Thanks for reading this.
    Robert

300_whisper, Danny1788 and cmillard like this.
  18. Ggmac

Ggmac

Yes reload can be spelt taught , but still it's illegal and requires the same ins , taxes , etc if you SELL your reloads . Liability ins is a bummer , long after you retire !

19. cmillard

cmillard

Well said Riesel!! My dad was the same way. Guy of many trades, between military, construction, carpenter, plumber, machinist, etc. He was always redoing someone's firearm or rod and reel

Danny1788 likes this.
  20. shortgrass

shortgrass

That's about right! Except the 'parts' from that handgun or O/U or SxS shotgun receiver come to me in a zip-loc bag,, usually one with a hole in it so there will be some part missing. I attended and graduated from a 2yr gunsmithing program (MCC class of '93). Most of those who call themselves (or others may call) 'gunsmiths' have not seen or learned even half of what is taught in the 2yr schools. I completely quit 'restoring' Grandpas' gun,,,, Grandpa must have not thought much of it as he used it to hold the chicken coup door open for 35yrs. I've got plenty to do without Grandpas' gun...

cjames, Riesel, hpshooter and 2 others like this.