truing remington 700 receivers

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by cmillard, Sep 9, 2017.

1. cmillard

cmillard

just wanted to see how much potential interest there is out there on this. a co-worker of mine, whom has an FFL and is also a head armorer in his military unit, and I are looking into doing a little business venture and I am looking to see what kind of interest we can spark. since he has his FFL, my thoughts were to if someone wanted a Remington 700 trued up, the rifle and/or receiver could be shipped to him. he could either take the barrel off for a small fee or I could. then, I would take the receiver/bolt and true the action for $50. this would include cutting the minor diameter of the threads, cutting the receiver lugs, lapping the lugs, and squaring the bolt face. I am about up and running and will be acquiring the manson kit to do this. in time, we would like to do some barrel chambering as well. I know $50 seems really cheap compared to $150-$300 for truing rem 700s, but I am not looking to make a lot, just want to add another hobby. any interest out there? thanks

2. Ggmac

Ggmac

You can't do it for that . That's less tha $5 per hour . It takes time to set it up correctly and not just stick a mandrel thru it . The first screw up and you'll be buying a receiver or more . Heck liability insurance is going to cost you , so is LLC , taxes , etc .
    It would be nice if everyone with the tooling and talent could just hang a shingle and start working .
    Not to rain on your parade , but reality stinks

3. kendog

kendog

It's OK. What is lost per piece, they can make up with more volume.

4. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I am at the beginning stages of hobby gunsmithing ie friends and family. There is a very real thing where people are afraid of inexpensive if you price it to cheap youll get less business.
    Also if your talkjng about the lathe less kit. Remember having those things sharpened isnt cheap. Good luck

5. swehrman

swehrman

I'd be concerned about running afoul of the BATF. You wrote, "shipped to him...then, I would take the receiver/bolt and true the action for $50." It sounds like the FFL holder or the person that owns the action would need to be present while your in possession of the action.

-- Scott

Ggmac likes this.
  6. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Shiny surfaces do not mean true. There is one way to true and action and thats indicated in on the centerline and single point cut (yes some do it in a cnc mill too). The hand tools do NOT true actions. Minor thread diameter doesnt mater, pitch diameter does and a guided tap is not going to fix that. Lapping is another way of screwing up an action. You will not end up with flat perpendicular surfaces. There is a reason that guys charge what they do, they are doing it properly. Not trying to be a dick about it, but I have seen enough cheap truing jobs. Its false advertising, they are not trued.
    To go into some detail, First the guidance is done with a rod and bushings. The centerline is between those 2 bushings. They dont take into account for the warpage of the action. So you not really on true center. If you use the tapered bushings its even worse as now because your relying on the chamfer to set your front center and the extraction cam to set your rear (really screwed up now). Add up all the clearences, rod flex and you will see why they just shine things up, trig it out and you will see how close the lugs need to be to perpendicular for proper seating. Its easy enough to un-true and action in a lathe with that bushing set up let alone hand tools. Sorry.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    DickE, dmoran, Ggmac and 2 others like this.
  7. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

Why is this subject open for discussion? All of the "Eggspurts" agree that a trued Remington is worthless for real competition, as well as re-sale value.

jdh47, 300_whisper and hothead like this.
  8. STS

STS

Very well said Alex. I would like to add a following thought to enhance your explanation. If one doesn't address the action bore to bolt clearance issue by banding the bolt body it does absolutely no good whatsoever to lap the bolt lugs. When the mainspring forces the bolt to the upper limit of the action bore it unseats the top lug. If the bolt is lapped without the trigger, the top lug will be forced off the seat when the trigger is installed. And if the lugs are lapped into contact with the trigger installed, the bolt face (along with the rest of the bolt) will no longer be perpendicular to the centerline. As Alex said, you can't properly true a action without a lathe.

Ggmac likes this.
  9. cmillard

cmillard

Thanks for the all the replies. So the BATF would think that i may be a felon because of shipping the receivers to an FFL holder? I guess I can't fault them for that. Also, i know that a lathe is the best way, but using the manson kit has worked well for the USMC precision weapons

10. Don

Don Silver $$ Contributor

There is a Lady in Central Oregon that made High Master in F/TR with a Tune Rem. 700 !

284winner likes this.
  11. cmillard

cmillard

I might add to that my best friend made high master in open with a remington 700 trued up in .260

12. Alex Wheeler

An untrued rem action with a good barrel will shoot sub .5 moa. I wouldnt say a lathe is the best way, its just the difference between a trued action and one that looks trued.

284winner likes this.
  13. Alex Wheeler

I did too, in LR Open.

284winner and Don like this.
  14. Don

Don Silver $$ Contributor

I am feeling a little better now ?
    I have a small fortune in a F-Open 6 Norma Dasher being built on a 40X .
    The Gun Smith is Well Known.
    No names , but He said the Action would be fine.
    Thanks for all the positive posts .

15. Alex Wheeler

When it comes to factory actions its more about the guy doing the work on it. They just are not economical by the time all the work is done, but they are competitive in sports where fast shooting is not needed.

284winner and Don like this.
  16. rayjay

rayjay Silver $$ Contributor

Personally I would never send an action to someone learning gunsmithing via the OJT system. I have seen far too many hacked up jobs done by 'gunsmiths' that have no business working on guns or even doing general machine shop work. I am not saying the OP is like this but I am saying that the guy I would [ and have ] sent my stuff to will be very well known and respected and the heck with the price.

Below is a classic example and I've seen plenty of other similar threads on this forum over the years plus stuff seen at the range.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/chambering-question.3929990/#post-37013697

17. rayjay

rayjay Silver $$ Contributor

Where the BATF is going to grab you is when you take the receiver to another location and do work on it without signing it off his books and onto the books of the new location.

swehrman likes this.
  18. Ggmac

Ggmac

An armorer isn't a precision gunsmith , a precision gunsmith /riflesmith can be an armorer .

shortgrass, ridgeway and hpshooter like this.
  19. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

what about the 2000.00/year export license you have to have even though youre not exporting anything

20. cmillard

cmillard

Well, i guess i will do it all for myself. I have quite a few builds in mind

Harvey McCraw likes this.