Trigger pull weights for long range f-class

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Eddie Vializ, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Eddie Vializ

Eddie Vializ Gold $$ Contributor

I'm trying to get a sense of what is generally accepted/used as not too heavy, not too light on trigger pull. And also what pull gauge is everyone using especially for pulls in the low ounces (1.5-6). I use a Jewel HVRA on a .284 at 6 ounces and recently acquired a 6BRA with a Jewel BR at 1.5 ounces. I like them both but will likely find some middle ground so they are the same. Thanks

2. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

I like 2oz. on a Bix and a Flava Flav.

[​IMG]

Bc'z and tcob68 like this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

CA58334B-0047-4E45-B202-B9C03D370E84.jpeg I like 4-6oz on a prone gun. I use a somfy-tec tension gage.

4. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

I have a very light trigger , it is set so I don't have slam fires yet just enough that I can lightly find my spot with my index finger- the next slightest pressure it's gone.
    How heavy is that ? I don't know for sure. But it's Not much
    Edit- single digit
    Jim

Bc'z likes this.
  5. big john 5394

big john 5394

bix&anby set as low as i can get it 1 oz?

6. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac

Both of my F-Class rifles have Jewel HVRA 8oz triggers, now this is due to necessity not want. I have carpal tunnel damage, so I have very little sense of touch in my index finger. This weight is all that I can work with using the first knuckle crease as finger pressure. I cannot use the pad of my finger, it’s simply too squishy and I don’t feel when trigger fall is happening.

Prior to this, I would have said 1-2oz is all that’s required, I have grown accustomed to this trigger wait now and prefer it. My hunting rifles, including my DG rifles, are all set to 2lbs exactly. Anything heavier is excessive in my view.

Cheers.
    ;)

7. Eddie Vializ

Thanks all. Gonna change my springs on the HVRA to get me down to 2 ounces and adjust the BR up to 2 ounces and work from there. I bought a Correx force gauge from ebay. A day ago I didn't know these gauges existed! Ahhhh the internet!

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  8. alinwa

alinwa

I personally think 2oz is too light for F-Class (even though there's days on a SR BR rifle where 2oz feels like I could bounce on it and do backflips) but since I do have a very accurate scale, one thing I've used for accurate trigger setting down to 2oz is light string or fishing line, a samwidge bag and an eye dropper.

Hang the bag on the string, drip water in until the trigger clix and weigh the whole bag/string/water mess.........

Empty, do again........

It's messy and

It's slow but

It's cheap!!

;)

Bc'z likes this.
  9. alinwa

alinwa

"I ate his liver with some Flavio beans and a nice Chianti....."

rardoin likes this.
  10. Sniper338

Sniper338

I shoot 6oz and less.

Its not as big of a factor really... if you practice and are used to it it dont matter.

SPJ likes this.
  11. kzin

kzin

I'm finding that if I'm holding the gun 6 or 8 oz is fine.

Free recoil touching only the trigger 2oz seems necessary.

12. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

2-3oz no more as long as you don't have any physical issues. Once you get used to it it seems like 1.5 pounds and your still squeezing.

13. alinwa

alinwa

Until yer bellied down in the rain at 46 degrees.......yup, I'm in WA :)

14. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

You know it never rains in Wa that's just to keep the tourists out"
    J

15. cdparker

cdparker Gold $$ Contributor

I am shooting F- open. I have Barnard actions and triggers. They have two stage triggers. I set the first stage really light, but my trigger finger knows where it is when I take up the slack and come to the second stage stop. The second stage is just a wee over that. I concentrate on the crosshairs and my gun sort of goes off by itself. I am just not really aware of actually pulling the trigger. That way, it keeps me from "bull gazing" or purposely steering the gun. That works for me. Follow through. The secret to shooting high scores is that there is no secret. It's fundamentals.
    Favor Center

16. Eddie Vializ

I thought my 8 ounce trigger was great. I shot the 1.5 ounce on 3 occasions now. Today I shot the 8 ounce again and I was saying, "is this damn thing ever gonna go off"!!!! :p

17. Eddie Vializ

Hey Dusty that device looks like a proctology tool. No wonder it says release gently!

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  18. snakepit

snakepit Silver $$ Contributor

Lyman Trigger Pull Digital Gauge. Jewel Benchrest Trigger set at 2oz.