Took a walk today

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by bluealtered, Nov 14, 2019.

1. bluealtered

bluealtered Silver $$ Contributor

Today is six weeks since my five back surgery's and to treat myself i took a short hike down into a area that i used to hunt years ago. It's a valley with dense stands of very large larch and pine as well Reprod so thick you have to crawl through it. The valley this is in is shaped as a "Y" and has 50-100 to 400yd shooting lanes.

I have taken both coyotes and bear out of here and there are depending on the time of year herds of elk as well. This place is up high in the mountains and when it freezes it can stay that way until spring sometimes. There are springs here that water the grass and yesterday they were frozen solid and made for very careful walking for an old fart like me.

This a place that has a main forest road not far from it and a atv trail system running through the corner of it, however the animals could care less since they have grown up with these noises and just go on about their lives. The first time i went in there i scouted it out of course and found two different little tin blinds that hunters had made years before, one was falling apart but the other was still there and being used. It had a small sheep herder stove in it and wood stacked up around the tin to help hide it. The temp yesterday maybe 200yds above this spot was in the mid40's, but down here it was well below freezing and probably not going to change until next spring.

It was my first time back down in here in years and time has stood still here. One of the reasons i hiked back down in here was to look at a large larch that i had found many years ago that had a well made tree stand in it, the tree now is probably 80ft tall or more and the tree stand is now 60+ feet up there, a good climb for anyone wanting to use it, (if it isn't to rotten now) it has a perfect view of most of the "Y" for the shooting lanes there. I will try and remember to take a camera next time i go and get some photos to share here, the cameras not the best but we'll see what happens.

Well it's off to Boise this morning to see the doc for my six week check up from my back surgery's and get his release so i can finally get my hips put back in place from being clamped to that damn surgery table.

2. painter

painter Gold $$ Contributor

Very nice write up, may you have more time in the valley.

thekriebles, 1shot, mikeinct and 2 others like this.
  3. argrendel

argrendel Silver $$ Contributor

Glad you able to move around after 5 surgeries. Hope you are pain free, or close to it. At 59-1/2 I have been dealing with back pain since I was 8 years old. Tried several times to get it fixed, but each time they wouldn’t touch me for fear of making things worse.
    I think if I lived out west, my goal would be to see everything. Impossible, but one hell of a goal. Years ago I visited a friend in Buffalo Wyoming and we hunted mule deer and elk. I toured Crazy Woman Canyon and creek. Laughed at the creek, but was amazed at the canyon.

GotRDid likes this.
  4. Ken

Ken Gold $$ Contributor

Some life events make a person reflective.

GotRDid likes this.
  5. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Its 1 helluva walk down into the bottom of Crazy Woman canyon as I recall. Almost 40 years ago.
    That creek is nothing to laugh at, some of the best fly fishing to be had down there.
    The ol man worked out at Black Thunder coal mine out of Wright Wyoming. Company truck and fuel provided us with lots of great outdoor experiences, and memories.

GotRDid likes this.
  6. bluealtered

bluealtered Silver $$ Contributor

I have been fighting with myself since i wrote that because tomorrow i want to go back down there with a rifle and see if i can get a coyote or two before the snow hits there and sticks for winter, that's the good side, then on the other hand i have other things that must be done before the snow comes here which may be in a few days. I guess i'll know in the morning when i wake up which one won.

The Doc said i'm doing fine for a guy in his 70's and will be completely healed up in six months or so if i don't do anything stupid, ...yep he said i'm in great shape for a guy of 105, then he laughed like hell, the damned smart ass.

Bc'z and GotRDid like this.