Too Cool :)

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Ledd Slinger, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I've always been a history buff and really enjoy reading and learning a out the history of firearms. Especially enjoy learning the history on some of the old rifles I personally own.

I've had this old heavy barrel Ruger M77 tang in 6mm Remington for many years now. It is 100% factory original, in mint condition, and ridiculously accurate :) Out of all my firearms over the years, custom or not, this old Ruger has always been one of my favorite rifles. It's one of those rifles where if I miss what I'm shooting at, I know it was MY fault. When im in good form, I can shoot this rifle all day on a dog town and the rifle will stack up hit after hit after hit and never fail. So I decided to see if I could find some original advertising or periodicals for when the Ruger M77 first came on the market and I came across this old magazine on Ebay. It is an original print of "Shooting Times" magazine from September 1968 when the Ruger M77 rifle was first announced to the world in a publication. Obviously I had to buy it as an accessory for my rifle and took a couple photos with it.

I found it very interesting that there were no magnum actions produced in the first year of rifles and I had NO IDEA they ever produced a 6.5 Remington Magnum in that M77!!! The 6.5 Rem Mag has been another one of my all time favorite rounds for many years and I would absolutely love to get my hands on one someday. So if any of you know where I can find one in good shape, please steer me in that direction.

Anyhow, I thought some of you folks might enjoy this little piece of firearms history :)

20190218_223240.jpg

20190218_224141.jpg

20190218_223403.jpg

20190218_224356.jpg

20190218_223510.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Zeke 225, okie, swd and 24 others like this.
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew

I love it.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  3. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

That's cool, but I have only 1 question.
    Did the magazine cost $.50,or did it suffer a little inflation?

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  4. 270guy

270guy

Sure is a looker! Understated, with underlying confidence!

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  5. mikeinct

mikeinct

Back in the day, I had a pair of M-77's.A sporter 257 Roberts, HV 22-250 I had forgotten how nicely the bolts were made. The integral scope mounts are what got me to buy them. The triggers, not so much. Price too, The Ruger's were an outstanding value. If I could turn back time. I would have traded the pair for a buddies Sako sporter in 308 win. mike in ct

6. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Absolutely beautiful rifle! I never did have a Ruger 77. I had 2 friends that had them (not the earliest models) and they were gorgeous too. I also had a friend that had a Remington Model 600 Magnum is 6.5 Rem. Mag. in absolutely showroom condition! It had a light brown / slightly darker brown laminated stock and a vent-rib on the barrel. His rifle may have been the single most beautiful rifle I have ever had the pleasure of gazing on! I love the "old" stuff too!

mikeinct and Ledd Slinger like this.
  7. thejamesd

thejamesd Silver $$ Contributor

I had one in 6mm, should have never let it go. Crazy accurate.
    James

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  8. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Cool story,and a great looking rifle . I have owned a few of the 77s over the years,they all seemed to have character...not all rifles do .

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  9. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

That's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing. In 1971, I bought a new M-77 in .284 win. I used that rifle for Deer for over 20 years before I was able to build a custom .284 Win. I killed many, many deer with it and still have it today. Great piece of history--thanks again for the pictures and story....

Ledd Slinger and ShootDots like this.
  10. Ledd Slinger

This article was also in the magazine. I'm sure most of you will recognize the Author's name :)

20190219_072515.jpg

Zeke 225, okie, Bc'z and 1 other person like this.
  11. Prose

Prose

I enjoyed blowing up and reading the article above. Nice to see a gun review that wasn't just an advertisement. Now please post the second half of the article :)

mikeinct and Ledd Slinger like this.
  12. Dub

Dub Silver $$ Contributor

very nice! Neat find on that magazine too.

13. 500Stroker

500Stroker Silver $$ Contributor

I have always been a fan of the M77, have owned several over the years.
    My favorite is factory chambered in 220 Swift , it has taken many coyotes and has never failed to produce very accurate and tight groups.
    Thanks for sharing.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  14. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

Oh to live in a world again where "can get quite exciting" was explanation enough. OP thanks much for sharing

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  15. Ledd Slinger

Yeah I paid $16 including shipping for the magazine but I thought that was a really good deal especially for how good a shape it was in. So cool to find a original publication that details the origin of my M77. I would have gladly paid twice that :)

thekriebles and Bc'z like this.
  16. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

great read, thx for the post, and a neat rifle. Here's a pic of the M77 bolt, as a pro photog, I "shot" this for my portfolio years back - thought even the bolt was a work of art. inert dummy round btw :)

Bolt_308_047_FINAL*.jpg

mikeinct, Prose and Ledd Slinger like this.
  17. Ledd Slinger

I havent touched the 6mm Remington in the photos of the original post. That one will always stay factory original. But I do have another 6mm Remington I built this year (2018) on a newer circa 1983 M77 tang action. This one has a custom AA Fancy walnut stock, custom Wilson LV 8tw SS barrel, custom powder coating, and I've done some work on the action.

20190219_111123.jpg

20190219_111301.jpg

You hear top riflesmiths like Alex Wheeler talking about how important good ignition is for accuracy. I also believe this is very true. 'One' of the factors for good ignition is of course firing pin fall. I was very surprised to find that in original condition, the Ruger M77 Tang action had over .280" of pin fall. I was able to time the trigger in with the bolt where the action cycles like butter and still maintained .253" of pin fall. Also had a little help from some Hobo Oil ;)

18. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

wow, that's stunning. that's one beefy barrel. what's the finish- powder coating?!

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  19. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

We all have our fancy, (fiberglass/chassis) stocks but, a nice wood stock touches your soul!!

Medic505, mikeinct and Ledd Slinger like this.
  20. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

AWESOME!!! I love wood! Is there anything prettier than a gorgeous specimen of wood adorning a barreled action? You can have the finest action and the finest barrel>>>>but would you say that is "beautiful"? Now, take that same barreled action and place it in a gorgeous piece of wood and all of a sudden the transformation is startling!

Bc'z, nmkid, CT10ring and 1 other person like this.