To nitride or to not nitride?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Punxsy Guy, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Punxsy Guy

Punxsy Guy Gold $$ Contributor

Here sometime this winter I want to get a barrel nitride. Right now i just finished bedding my action into the stock. I will go shoot it here some to see if the precision and accuracy improved at all. The barrel was doing 3/4 to 1 moa.

By the time fall is done i will have around 500 rounds through it i say. It is 300 win mag with Remington action and Remington barrel still on it.

This is the question i was getting at. Should I get the Remington barrel nitrided or do you think i should just buy a better barrel/new one? I would then get the new barrel nitrided after its been machine/chambered.

2. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Don't waste your money on the factory barrel.

3. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Monumental waste of money on a factory barrel. In my opinion, the last thing I would want to do is increase the life of a mediocre shooting factory rifle. Shoot that barrel out then replace with a top quality custom barrel.

MontanaCreedmoor likes this.
  4. Punxsy Guy

Punxsy Guy Gold $$ Contributor

Have any of you guys had experience with nitrided barrels?

5. Matt Pitchon

Matt Pitchon

Many previous threads on this topic. Some like it some dont. I nitride my barrels.. The biggest issue for most is the lot charge. Most charge a $200 minimum, although the cost per barrel is about $60. Hard to get 3 to 4 barrels that need nitriding. Nitriding doesn't hurt accuracy, and for most improves barrel life.

6. MontanaCreedmoor

MontanaCreedmoor

+1 on JBT and JRS.

You are interested in accuracy otherwise you would not be in this forum. Bit the bullet ... get a proper barrel and watch your accuracy increase and your groups drop in half. You will not look back. factory barrels are factory barrels.... they will not be match quality.

Only additional thought to JBT’s post above........ I say .... “ Don’t shoot Out that factory barrel”. Instead .... GO get a proper barrel and shoot it ... you will be happier ... and will be shooting better. Life is too short to shoot factory barrels.

JBT and boltfluter like this.
  7. Breakshunter

Breakshunter

I stopped having stuff nitrited, a couple of the barrels that came back had some of the rifling crack off after not too many rounds, may have been a total fluke, this was about 5 years ago but it scared me off from it.