To much crimp?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Primal, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Primal

Primal

Hello folks I accidentally way over crimped a batch of 10mm with 8.7 grains of Hodgon long shot and I've been told I can shoot them or pull them but I want to see what you guys would do? Shooting out of a Glock 20sf SmartSelect_20190319-213300_Gallery.jpg

2. Rsadams

Rsadams

Since they headspace off the case mouth will they still have proper headspace would be my concern.... Try a plunk test with your barrel.... I don't think they will , if not , I wouldn't shoot them... Safety first....

rammac and Whit holman like this.
  3. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm 99% sure you'll be OK to shoot.

How many did you reload ???

You can always reload a new batch and take a handful of these over-crimped rounds to the range and test them before deciding to use them all.

Picture shows a slight flare at the mouth, so if it chambers, it will definitely have good headspace.

What you really need is a taper crimp die to mainly get rid of the flare.

I've overdone crimping with a taper crimp die, which messed up the headspace off the mouth, and I had no problems. They shot normal.

It's good that you're worried. It means you're not going to do something unsafe. But in this scenario you're good to go.

Primal likes this.
  4. Whit holman

Whit holman

I would do what Rsadsms said

Bill K and Primal like this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Theyll either be fine or just not go off due to dropping too far in the chamber. Just give em a try i dont see it being dangerous

DirtySteve and Primal like this.
  6. Primal

Primal

Ok thanks, it's just a small batch of 50 .

7. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

me myself would pull them.

Ggmac likes this.
  8. dellet

dellet

You did not mention bullet weight. From memory that's a mid to high end load for 180's probably over max for anything heavier.

Add the heavy crimp and it's not worth it to shoot them.

9. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

If they are fine to fire, I would do so. The cases would then be blown out again.

10. Pwc

Pwc

They do headspace off the rim, but the xtractor will hold the cart back for the firing pin. Try shooting them. They'll either go off or not.

11. KevinThomas

KevinThomas

A) yes, that’s WAY too much crimp, and accuracy is going to suffer. As in, non-existent. B) regardless of the crimp, the cartridge is going to headspace on the extractor. Not the way it’s supposed to work, but that’s how a frighteningly high percentage of rimless cartridges wind up.

Review some of the books on just what an appropriate degree of crimp is, and you might be better off considering a Profile or Taper crimp. Doesn’t take a bunch, you’re just trying to ensure that the bullet doesn’t set back upon feeding, nor pull in the magazine under recoil. But yes, this is seriously excessive.

Ggmac likes this.
  12. divingin

divingin Gold $$ Contributor

I suspect they would be safe to fire (assuming the load is safe), but since you've swaged the bullet where the crimp is, I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of accuracy.

I prefer a taper crimp on handgun ammo for auto-loaders (with the exception of rimmed cartridges - 32SWL for a Pardini, and 38Spl for a S&W Model 52. Those get a touch of roll crimp to help feeding.)

13. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Are you using the stock Glock 20 barrel (I assume) . The reason being the factory barrel normally does not have full case head support, at least my gen 2 didn't. I would maybe fire one and Mike the web area, check for a bulge or "glock smile". The bullet weight is important, as was stated, the load is close to hot with a 180gr.What ever you do be careful, and ALWAYS inspect your first couple reloads,to save yourself the grief....rsbhunter

14. T-shooter

T-shooter

With any caliber pistol ammo, I crimp just enough to straighten and remove the flare, not crimping into the bullet to make it tighter.
    9mm.jpg

15. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

T-shooter, that is how I do 90% of my loading ( pistol and rifle) . On some high recoil loads, 10 mm and 45 super I do light to med crimp to prevent bullet set back and higher resulting pressures...however, I never have case distortion like the op's.In normal pressure loads I never crimp, just set the neck AS in your diagram.....seems to have worked so far.....rsbhunter@yahoo.com

16. JMayo

JMayo

Isn't 10mm a real high pressure round and that's why leo went away from it?
    Such a crimp will certainly cause pressure to spike ....
    I just don't know the charge in the case. If low maybe shoot. If on the high side pull it & try to repair the case or chunk it.
    I'm not super happy with breaking my guns with something so easy to correct.

I'm not big on super cautious but that's an easy go around on that .

17. rsbhunter

rsbhunter

Actually, the most repeated reason for the FBI going to the 40cal was the excessive recoil , which is in part the pressure, bullet weight (200 gr) and velocity 1200 fps in the original Norma load. While excess crimp will effect pressure, I have always read that bullet set back can be a dangerous situation, including up to a "kaboom" experience......once in awhile you can cheat bad happenings, I try to minimize taking that chance.....other than the powder, I would write off the investment in those rounds, and start over.....expensive, but so are emergency room visits....rsbhunter@yahoo.com

18. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

pull them and trash all of it,,I load thousands of handgun loads, your gun is going to come apart. Your not going to be able to use the bullets at all.

19. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

On a semi-auto pistol cartridge that headspace on the case mouth the taper crimp is only used to remove case mouth flare, and very slightly streamline the case mouth for feeding.

The bullet grip is controlled by how tightly the case holds the bullet and never by the crimp. The cartridge below is wasp waisted and you can see where the base of the bullet stops inside the case. Meaning the case body has a firm grip on the bullet to prevent bullet setback and the taper crimp is only for streamlining the case mouth for feeding.

I agree with pirate ammo above and you should trash that loaded ammo, its not worth bodily injury and damage to your pistol.

Lay a straight edge on your case like below to inspect the taper crimp and the case grip on the bullet. Any case that is smaller in diameter below the bullet will have plenty of grip on the bullet.

[​IMG]

Below is the same cartridge "before" applying a taper crimp and still showing the case mouth flair.

[​IMG]

Below I prefer using a Lyman type "M" expander that aids greatly in straight inline seating by prevent bullet tilt during seating.

[​IMG]

Below a Lyman type "M" expander and 99% of the time the case mouth only needs to be bumped onto step "B" of the expander and not flaired on step "C". This allows the bullet to be started straight into the case by hand with no bullet tilting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    T-shooter and pirate ammo like this.