TIRED EYES

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by mike Bullard, May 30, 2019.

1. mike Bullard

mike Bullard

i'M WONDERING IF THERE IS A COMPANY OUT THERE THAT MAKES DIFFERENT RETICLES FOR NIGHTFORCE COMPETION SCOPES. I HAVE A COUPLE WITH THE DDR-2 RETICLES AND AS I GET OLDER I'M HAVING DIFFICULTY FOCUSING ON THE DOT IN THE CENTER OF THE RETICLE ESPECIALLY IN LOWER LIGHT CONDITIONS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW OR EVEN ANOTHER OPTIC ALL TOGATHER.

THANK YOU
    MIKE

2. Crow

Crow Silver $$ Contributor

If there's a reticle offered on a current Nightforce Competition model that you'd prefer, Nightforce will swap it for about $400.

Personally, I like the DDR-2. Have you already verified that the eyepiece is optimally focused for your current vision?

3. efoleyjr

efoleyjr Silver $$ Contributor

Been thru the same problem shooting sling smallbore. Only option that works for me is an Trijicon TR23-1G with illumination dot but only come in 20x. But it is better than not seeing any aiming reference.

Ed

4. mike06

mike06 US ARMY 1970-1977 Silver $$ Contributor

5. Dos XX

Dos XX Bystanders Should Also Wear Safety Goggles Gold $$ Contributor

The double dot on the NXS had a bigger dot, I think. You might check the BR scope, too. I had the same problem with the DDR on the comp. That dot is too small for my eyes. I have floaters bigger than the dots.

I also think the FCR is too thin. If you can use a hashed reticle, look at a March HM with the thicker reticle. I think it comes in 2 thicknesses. It is bold and crisp. It is my favorite reticle, now.

theallcineyes likes this.
  6. tbs

tbs

I've been there and the solution for me was to get Cataract surgery. I now have 20/13 in both eyes.

gawga_boy likes this.
  7. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I have cheated the"old eyes" problem a little bit by keeping my eyes moist while shooting. Eye drops!

Crow likes this.
  8. mike Bullard

mike Bullard

SO FAR NOTHI IN THE OPTICAL WORLD HAS SEEMED TO HELP,,HEADING TO THE EYE DOC NEXT WEEK,LOL

9. Straightshooter1

Straightshooter1 Gold $$ Contributor

Some of these old eye problems, line mine, can't be corrected without surgery ...

cataracts

10. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Be sure you’re keeping yourself properly hydrated! Your eyes suffer when you lose too much water, aren’t doing everything you can to prevent it.

Check with your doctor(s) too about what side effects any meds you’re taking might be. Many can affect your vision in ways you may not suspect; there might be something you can try for awhile that will do what it’s expected to while it avoids any vision changes.

11. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

You will be one happy camper after cataract surgery. Make sure the doctor is well aware you use a scope for shooting!!

gawga_boy likes this.
  12. Straightshooter1

Yeah, am actually looking forward to the surgery. Wife had it done and was very happy about the results. In my case, doctor says it's a little too early for surgery as it's not a bad enough case. But there's enough reduction in clarity that I notice it . . . particularly when shooting with a scope. I miss my 20/10 vision I once had and just have to make compensations for the effects of old age.

13. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

A shooting glass might also be of help so you should look into that.

14. Straightshooter1

I've actually been thinking about that... and procrastinating. :cool:

theallcineyes likes this.
  15. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

Happens to the best of us.