Tinninitis solutions

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Jefferson, Dec 2, 2018.

1. heydogman

heydogman

F4 & F16 fighters did me in. Ears have been ringing for 38 years. Cleaning transmission parts with 150 psi of compressed air has not helped. I still have great distance vision but I use a dog to assist with wildlife photography. They can hear something coming, I can't. Any mental traumatic stress makes the noise worse.

2. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

If your friend takes baby aspirin on a daily basis that will cause it as well.

3. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Full strength aspirin, yes. 81mg aspirin, no.

4. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

I disagree with her. I can remember the day mine started. I was about 13 and knew everything. Cold winter day and everybody gone from the house so I decided to clean the Winchester 30-30. To keep it short, the rifle went off and I was almost completely deaf for a while. After about 15 minutes, the radio started making some garbled noise, but couldn't understand the words. After about 30 minutes, I could understand the words but my ears were ringing, and everyday since.
    In 1971 I took a hearing test as part of my EAS from the service. The audiologist said my hearing was bad from 6000-8000 cps. I commented on my time on the flight line and jet engines and she said "No", that the problem was caused by a loud pop.

5. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino Silver $$ Contributor

I've experienced it in different forms of magnitude over the years, mostly when I was cutting and splitting firewood every day to sell etc. This gave me tinnitus but I also felt that certain foods that raised my blood pressure aggravated the condition. Watch your sodium/beer/coffee/sugar intake and try calming meditation sessions , or even check with your Doc. about BP Meds.

6. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Silver $$ Contributor

I've had diagnosed tinnitus for probably 20 yrs now. Lots of causes and triggers. Not everyone's symptoms and triggers are the same and not everyone's relief is the same or at all. This helps some people: https://www.tinnitusformula.com/?ut...9idIF_KznA3qdF-dLrhXpCWxB3GZTkLsaAvd8EALw_wcB There are also other vitamins and minerals that help some people. They are referencced on the linked site. There are like 100 prescription and OTC drugs that can cause or trigger tinnitus. I think that list is on the site as well. Aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc are definite triggers. Caffeine seems to work both ways, as a trigger for some and relief for others. Alcohol too. Back and neck message/chiropractic helped me but I still have it. Good luck.

22BRGUY likes this.
  7. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

I've had it for decades, probably from years of machine shop noise and flying or working around aircraft, doing engine run ups etc. For me, it exacerbated by low blood sugar, frequently waking up in the morning to a much louder ringing and hissing sensation, and it gets much louder if I push on the left side of my head using my left palm and resisting with my neck muscles. But that's probably due to a herniated disc in my neck from an ancient car accident.

I have hearing aids now, and apparently some can be programmed to counteract or reduce tinnitus. They train the brain to ignore the false sensation of noise.

Now.... if I can just train my brain to listen to and understand normal conversation.....o_O

8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

I forgot I had it until seeing this thread. Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum with no ear protection, been downhill ever since.

muleystalker and msinc like this.
  9. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I've learned to ignore it. Occasionally I realize that some of them must be real crickets...I haven't consciously heard a cricket for years.

D Coots, Steve morgan, msinc and 2 others like this.
  10. oldduc

oldduc Silver $$ Contributor

Huh, say what? Just kill me now!!!

11. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

My solution to sleeping soundly and ringing ears is to snore real loud to drown it out ...….or so my wife says. I still don't believe her about my snoring.

D Coots and riverwolf1 like this.
  12. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Gold $$ Contributor

Whaaaaat?
    I wish you guys would speak up!!!
    Gary

muleystalker and riverwolf1 like this.
  13. savagedasher

savagedasher

Go see a good ear doctor
    Is my advice

14. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Silver $$ Contributor

Now that rings true
    Got a stint couple years ago Dr had me start a 325 aspirin daily
    Ringing did start around that time

15. clunker

clunker Silver $$ Contributor

I should have tinnitus, but I don't. Played in a rock band for 10 years, and you can't wear ear plugs if you're a singer. Worked on construction sites and in manufacturing with constant compressors and loud equipment. Now I spend half the year on farm equipment. Only thing I can think of is that I take a calcium channel blocker for high blood pressure. It relaxes your blood vessels. The only time I get ear discomfort and the slightest ringing is when I am dehydrated and/or I've had too much caffeine. If there are concoctions (as earlier posts have mentioned) that reduce blood pressure or otherwise relax blood vessels, there might be some merit in trying them.

16. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Taurine it is for some people.

17. John from MN

John from MN

Mine has gotten better over the last couple years. The only things I can think of that have changed is that I'm in much better shape than I was and we can now use suppressors for hunting here in my state.

I avoid muzzle brakes like the plague.One definite trigger for me is operating my S185 skid steer. It has a vibration in the cab that earpro doesn't help block at all.

Still find it easier to sleep with the tv on, though.

18. K22

K22

Lots of Knob Creek - after shooting of course.

19. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

There is a solution. My brother has some kind of hearing aid type of device. Previous to getting this hearing aid type of devise, he though he was going to go mad. This devise has really helped him. I will find out what it is and post the results.

20. D Coots

D Coots Silver $$ Contributor

I flunked my first hearing test in kindergarten. Lots of ear aches until tonsillectomy in 2nd grade. Too late, lots of scar tissue and hole in eardrum. I wouldn't know what to do if my ears weren't ringing. I've always wore hearing protection around equipment, while shooting, and usually while hunting.

Later
    Dave

KMart likes this.