Timney trigger and Stiller TAC 30 "Heads Up"

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by rcol317, Sep 12, 2017.

1. rcol317

rcol317 Silver $$ Contributor

Just had an interesting experience with a Timney 512 trigger that I Installed on a new TAC 30 and had problems getting it to engage the firing pin on each effort to cock the bolt. If the safety was on then would work fine for 6-10 times and then fail. Timmy said trigger was set to light. After a couple days different attempts to resolve I took it to Timney and after 45 minutes effort they couldn't get it to work either. With professional persistence the tech did finally get a Calvin Elite trigger to work by substituting several parts to finally solve the problem. They said their triggers won't work on the Stiller Tac 30 action but were very determined to resolve my issue which I greatly appreciated. I have three other Tac 30's and they have Jewell triggers. If you're needing a trigger for a TAC 30, don't buy a Timney.

WRECKEMUP and 300_whisper like this.
  2. L.Sherm

L.Sherm

I think from now on when I want a trigger like a Timney it will be Trigger Tech.

3. mr.big

mr.big

I had a 510 in my Tac 30 and didnt have any problems at all,,why would the Timney not work on a Tac 30 and work on any other Rem 700 or 700 clone ??

4. Prose

Prose

Come to think of it, same thing happened to me with a TAC 30 and Timney 510. Anything close to below say 2 lbs or so and it wouldn't operate safely. Good for you on function testing your trigger and finding the problem before if became a big problem. My advice to anyone reading this would be to follow the trigger recommendations of your action builder as they probably had one in mind.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  5. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

Been an ongoing issue for years. I went to rifle basix when I use a Stiller Tac action.