timing barrel

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by 10xsllc, Sep 10, 2019.

1. 10xsllc

10xsllc Silver $$ Contributor

forgot to time barrel after cutting tenon and threading, have already chambered and set head space. any suggestions in an easy way to fix this

2. Gundoktr

Gundoktr

Why does it need to be timed? Extractor cut? Sights? No easy way, start over

butchlambert and Ggmac like this.
  3. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

If say a Springfield style extractor cut , well only one option , ok 2 , start again or cut another extractor cut . But I guess you mean to set current barrel spec engraving or. Barrel bore to 12:00

4. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Just shoot it..

ridgeway and Ggmac like this.
  5. 10xsllc

just want barrel at 12:00

6. 10xsllc

good idea

7. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

Not sure what you mean by timed.
    I've never timed-clocked a barrel in my life and never will if you mean bore alignment. Life's to short.

Question for you if you're referring to bore alignment.
    You turn and thread the tenon. Then align the bore and "clock" the barrel.
    Then the chamber, and by extension, the case head is not perpendicular to the action and by extension the bolt face.
    That's well crazy.

hogpatrol, Terry, DJSBRS and 3 others like this.
  8. 10xsllc

my bore is align I was talking about the high side of the outside of barrel

9. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Why?

butchlambert likes this.
  10. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Just shoot it.

Ken and butchlambert like this.
  11. Nightraider

Nightraider

Basically you'll need to cut the shoulder until it times up or down then adjust the tenon length and headspace. Unless it's an excessive amount you'll not necessarily be gaining anything.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  12. a6mmbrman

a6mmbrman Site $$ Sponsor

Exactly what Dave said +1

hogpatrol and Stan Taylor like this.
  13. DaveTooley

What is your set up and process for establishing the high side. I mainly use Bartlein's and they're never out more than a few thousandths. I've done Obermeyer barrels that were never turned after rifling and they were out .050"+ on the muzzle. Never timed and never made a difference on the target.
    I do OEM precision gas gun barrels and time the gas port to fall in the groove. It's a simple process to move the shoulder forward. Everything else follows that.
    If you have taken the barrel out of whatever your setup is you will not get it back in the same place. Just shoot it.

14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

15. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Is there a problem you want to fix? There are a few barrels out there with a lot of bow in them. Is it a sporter? Are you hitting the stock? If you really do need to fix it, for a real reason, figure out how many degrees you want to rotate it. Call that x degrees. Then take x/360 x 62 thousandths off the shoulder and the tenon surfaces. deepen your chamber by the same amount.

--Jerry

16. 10xsllc

thank you I am going to shoot it

17. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Listen to Dave. I've mentioned before, Dave has chambered more barrels than all of us together.
    Jerry, Carlsbad, I've never seen an actual bowed barrel or bowed bore. They may take off at a mild spiral. I've asked barrelmakers if the could bore "machine" a bowed bore. They just chuckle.

Terry and Stan Taylor like this.
  18. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

My own testing has proven to me that indexing a bore's curvature is effective (particularly at distance/LR).
    With what I call my "spin chassis" (pictured below), I have came to the conclusion, for myself any way, that there is advantages to index/timing a barrel to there unique optimal position(s). For barrels that I haven't or won't spin test to final fit/chamber, at 12-o'clock is my preference.
    Donovan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DaveTooley

I have no doubt that the bore moves around some. The amount will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and rifling process. The manufacturer I'm most familiar with uses a 6" long cutter head with about .0005"-0010" clearance. The barrel has to be be pretty darn straight for that to work. When chambering I indicate in the throat and the muzzle. What happens in between has no affect on where the bullet goes.
    If the bore at the muzzle is concentric with a line that is perpendicular to the barrel shoulder and the same line is concentric in the throat that's about all there is to it.

20. DaveTooley

Donovan