Time to get out of Dodge, Part II

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by spencerhenry, May 25, 2019.

1. spencerhenry

spencerhenry Silver $$ Contributor

My thread of a few months ago, is now ready to be updated. Colorado is not yet in the rear view mirror, but it is getting closer fast. I am sure many thought I was just all talk, and would never make the move.
    But, I have a contract on the house. Closing is later this summer. I have pulled down all my big game mounts, have my books and furs boxed up. Painters are coming next week to repaint most of the inside of the house, I have just a few more small things to fix on the house before it is no longer mine. My employer / friends have decided to pull up stakes too, we are all getting out. Currently I do not have a place to move to, but I have most of the summer to find one.
    I have been selling off tons of stuff, throwing tons of stuff away, giving stuff away, and shortly I will be down to only the stuff that matters.

Nearly everyday I am reminded of why I want to leave Colorado. I just bought a new to me car, a 1996 4Runner. A $2500 car cost me $216 to register! They actually have an extra fee for cars over a certain age!

Zero333, mikeinct, msinc and 3 others like this.
  2. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Don’t move to Michigan thinking it will be better here. Car registration cost is on value of the car when new. It never goes down And if it’s a heavier SUV, weight will cost you. The Imperial Governor wants to raise the tax on gasoline another whopping .42 per gallons to pay for the roads when the taxes were already higher than most states. One problem is that funds that were supposed to fix our crumbling roads have gone to libraries among other things. I guess that’s so we’ll be able to interpret road signs. So, don’t move to Michigan.
    I’m glad I got that off my chest.

3. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter

Montana would work okay, since you are used to winter. Any ideas yet on just where?

mikeinct likes this.
  4. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

If you are a believer in conservative values and politics, please move to Portland Oregon and spread your beliefs. The rest of us Oregunians need folks like you to turn the tide of the liberal, leftist snowflakes that are pushing our state over the edge into Looneyville. jd

'Freak, Zero333, tac284 and 6 others like this.
  5. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Jd that's a great idea.
    A mass influx of conservative idealism moving to Portland.

6. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

New Mexico is circling the drain with the new democratic governor. People are starting to bitch, they get real quiet when I ask who they voted for. I forcefully remind them about their stoopidity, double dog daring them to reply.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2019
    'Freak, mikeinct, jamesk and 6 others like this.
  7. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

If everyone on this forum moved to Portland today, it still would not be enough conservatives to make a difference.
    Just saying
    CW

8. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I'm still lovin Colorado! Been here since the 70s and sure, it's changed, what hasn't.
    I moved more rural 4 years ago to get out of the Burbs. Got access to a ranch 15 minutes by ATV from my house. Targets out to 2000.
    Where the hell would I go to find that somewhere else. Taxes aren't too bad, weather ain't horrible. The more people that leave here, the better.

JasonPeterson likes this.
  9. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Still a good thought

joshb likes this.
  10. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

It's time for all of us to start doin a lot of evangelizing. I've got a hunch that in a few years, there's gonna be a lot of lost millennials looking for direction. They're gonna need us to show them "the way". jd

'Freak, 6MMsteve, New Gun and 4 others like this.
  11. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I drove to Ohio (one hour) and paid $2.44 for gas. Here in Pa it is nearly $4. Our Gov is walking in lock step with where NY was 20 years ago, and it was swirling around the bowl then. I have a few years here, then when the kids get settled out west, one of them is gonna hit the lotto (I am moving nearby!) :)

I;, thinking AZ in winter, Wyoming in "summer". Till I get too old to move about, then I will will move into the HAppy Halls of Nursing Home and dwindle away

joshb likes this.
  12. Boyd L.

Boyd L. Witty comment under development Gold $$ Contributor

At the risk of sounding "political" (let's call it an anthropological look at human nature and its influences) there is a great polarizing of our nation taking place. The last presidential election (not being political now, just providing historical context) is a perfect example of that polarization. We are becoming a nation in which the differences between us (and the right to have individual choices) are no longer respected.
    To the OP: I hope you find what you're looking for.

'Freak, theare, msinc and 1 other person like this.
  13. Chris Covell

Chris Covell Silver $$ Contributor

Move to Texas!!!

JLT likes this.
  14. Jr solocam

Jr solocam

Central and western ND is still a good place to live. West River SD is still ok in my opinion as well. We haven't yet seen the influx of CA libs like CO, WA, OR, and NW MT.

Hillrunner likes this.
  15. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe I should buy a bigger chunk of Wyoming so I can build a bunch of small summer cabins around a shooting range and hang out a “For Rent” sign.;):D “Shooters only”

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    'Freak, 6MMsteve, rogn and 14 others like this.
  16. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

Idaho.

Gun Smith likes this.
  17. spencerhenry

spencerhenry Silver $$ Contributor

My friends / employers own the ranch next door to me, it has been a great opportunity for me. They are three brothers in the late 20's and early 30's. They pay me to work part time on their ranch, I am the only one to take care of 640 acres. I take care of it like it is mine, and I get to hunt it as I see fit. I take care of the animals, roads, buildings and machinery. I would have left this area 5 or 6 years ago if it weren't for them. A couple of months ago, I sent an email to the 3 of them, explaining that as much as I did not want to part ways with them, that it was time for me to go somewhere else. A few weeks later they informed me that they were going to sell their place too. I will take care of their place here until it is sold, they are buying a bigger ranch somewhere else and I will manage that place. We are looking first at Wyoming, primarily for tax reasons. But also looking at Idaho and Montana, they want a working cattle ranch as well as waterfowl and big game hunting. I want a large property where I can cut timber, cut roads, maintain ditches and ponds, build a hangar and airstrip for them and myself, build a big ranch house, and create a property that elk and deer want to be on.
    I bought my 35 acres in 1990 at the age of 19 and built my house in 1996. I never thought I would be almost 50 and still here. It is very exciting to think of learning some new country, and retiring from my day job. It is a huge change, but one I could not be more ready or excited for!

acloco, 6fatrat, hogpatrol and 2 others like this.
  18. ND shooter

ND shooter

Nothing in North Dakota.

Delfuego likes this.
  19. mac86951

mac86951 I prefer my targets level and unmoving

Any chance I can have the cabin with a clear 2-mile view out the back door?

-Mac

joshb likes this.
  20. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

i'm in! I will trade you rent for housekeeping. My wife likes to do that kinda stuff...;)

'Freak, joshb, Dgd6mm and 1 other person like this.