Time for a new electric scale, any suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by 280AIDave, May 20, 2019.

1. 280AIDave

280AIDave

Im looking for a new electric scale, my lymann hasnt held up to well. What do you suggest ?

2. dhamby

dhamby

A&D FX120i

Medic505, Whitey and T-shooter like this.
  3. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

The A&D FX 120i with an Auto thrower and an Autotrickler will give you a load to within .02 grains in about 10 seconds. It's pricey, but it really works well, and faster than a Chargemaster.

Whitey, CADDIE5 and T-shooter like this.
  4. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Whatever you get, read the warranty before you order it.

dogdude likes this.
  5. Jefferson

Jefferson

YES. YES. AND. YES

6. 280AIDave

280AIDave

ok....at firts glance the scale and all the extras s $1,200.00 ? what do you suggest for less $$ ?

7. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I use a Bald Eagle digital <$100 coupled with a vintage 1010 beam scale.

perazziguy likes this.
  8. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

You don’t need all the extras just the scale and auto trickler the way it comes from Adam...you won’t regret it..use the lee scoops you can buy a full set of them for around $15-$20..

SPJ likes this.
  9. Falfan2017

Falfan2017

Used sartorius on eBay can be a heck of a deal. Weight to .01 or even .001 grain depending on what model you get.

jackbrownii likes this.
  10. jmcgowe

jmcgowe Silver $$ Contributor

You can find the FX120i online for around $600. If you want to skip the Auto Trickler, the Dandy Trickler works well and will add another $100 or so. The FX120i is really worth the price if you can swing it.

11. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

12. long40shot

long40shot Gold $$ Contributor

If you aren't looking for a high dollar option, i like my gem 250 really well.

sdbob likes this.
  13. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

like someone else said, the a&d with the autotrickle and a set of lee scoops. skip the auto throw, around 700 bucks, no area 419 till later, 5 year warranty, and after I got mine I decided it was one of the best investments on my reloading bench I have made. like I tell folks some times, get this and thats one less variable to worry about, and thats what we do in br, eliminate variables;). good luck sir

SPJ, Twoboxer and Rushty like this.
  14. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

Exactly what he said^^^^^^^

15. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

what's up old man, Lincoln got Vicki shooting and loves the comp!!!:cool: and have you noticed how many peeps are using30.6 gr of varget for their match load:eek:. smooooky;). sorry op, didnt mean to hijack this threado_O. its yours again:)

Puzzaz01 likes this.
  16. Twoboxer

Twoboxer Silver $$ Contributor

The A&D FX 120i by itself is $503.50 today at https://ceproducts.shop/products/fx-120i-reloading-scale-122g-x-0-001g

That web site is actually a Cambridge Environmental site, and it shows the price as $745.50 until you apply the discount code "CAMBRIDGE" at check out. Why they do that is a long story not gonna repeat here.

Don't buy the AutoTrickler stuff yet . . . a new version (V3) is coming out soon. My guess is it will use your phone as a keypad to directly enter the target weight . . . but that's just a guess.

Until then you'l still have an accurate, repeatable scale that does not flutter or lose zero in the presence of RF noise and responds well to trickling. Less expensive scales use a different technology that is very likely to lose track of things if you have a noisy environment. If your reloading room is noise-free (cell phones, wifi, motors, some audio equipment, microwaves, fluorescents, etc etc) you may get by with a less expensive scale.

17. Mad_Charlie

Mad_Charlie

Kibble Balance. That oughta do it...:D

18. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

I agree that the fx 120i is as good a reloading scale as you can get (and overkill for 99% of the people who own them). But if you’re not going to spend that money, I’ve had good luck with my Dillion digital and the scale that comes with the charegemaster has been reliable. I’d assume the rcbs standalone scale is of similar quality.