TIG a bolt handle

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by DickE, Jan 27, 2018.

1. DickE

DickE

If a factory bolt handle is timed and primary extraction is very good, can the bolt handle be TIG welded without removal? In other words, left soldered on, then tigged in place.

2. GenePoole

GenePoole

I've been called a lot of things over the years, but "welder" is not one of them. Nonetheless, my experience with TIG is that at the temperature needed to weld steel, some of the elements in solders will vaporize making a huge mess of things.

3. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

A factory handle & most clones handles benefit once improved.

Would you attempt to stick or mig weld over soft solder?

NO.

4. Egg

Egg

For a good bond and no porosity you need to have the metal as clean as possible.

5. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

Egg,
    Is your reply in reference to the preparation for silver brazing or TIG welding?

Some inexperienced, have attempted the reverse -
    Fusion TIG welding a handle onto a bolt body & then attempting to silver braze or soft solder to assist their improper procedure.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  6. Egg

Egg

Dans, I was refering to TIG welding. I agree with your " improper procedure" statement 100%. If your TIG welding procedures are sound ( clean rust and oil free metal along with proper joint preparation, depending on whether you have a fillet or butt joint) the weld will be stronger than your base metal and there will be no need or benefit to booger up your bolt handle with silver solder. I would also weld it with filler metal and not just fusion weld it.

And.......I would not quench the weld, you run the risk of creating micro fractures in the weld if it cools down to quickly. Let it cool down on its own or better yet wrap it in some kind of insulated blanket so it will cool down real slow and let the molecules go back close the their natural position.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  7. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

You are speaking to the MASTER!

eddief likes this.