Throat carbon removal ????

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by LarryDScott, Sep 24, 2017.

1. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

If you have used the felt pellets w/JB or Iosso
    in the throat neck area, does it do as good of a job
    or better than a patch on a brush????? Is there more
    or less chance of damage w/the pellets vs the bush patch
    combo. There are 2 pellets available, the plain
    felt and the super intensive. Which do you use????
    Inquiring minds need to know???? LDS

2. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I have them and have used them.. They work well. However, they are hard to work with. They are a bit large for the bore. So I have to use the front (of the three you use) one to be smaller. Example: If I am using the 6.5 pellets in a 6.5 bore, the front (entry pellet) pellet needs to be 6mm or I can't get them in the bore. I also run them down the bore a few times with just oil to "soften" them up.. BUT doing all that has become such a pain, I just now use the brush / patch way now. Is it as effective? I don't know>>>they both work, one with a lot of aggravation, the other not so much.. I use the brush / patch method..

Comrade Terry and savagedasher like this.
  3. msinc

msinc

I have never used them...I always just use a brush {a caliber up in size or so} with carburetor cleaner and the cleaning rod chucked in a cordless drill. Spray the cleaner in the bore, go to the throat with brush and let 'er rip for a few seconds. Check it with a borescope and when it's gone it's gone. Don't have a borescope??? How do you know the carbon is there???

4. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I've had my share of carbon rings this yr, way more than ever. I'm going to a 9mm bore mop soaked in Boretech C4, let it sit in there.

pacificman likes this.
  5. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Is this a future plan, or have you already tried it??? So far all the liquids I have tried have failed. Just havent tried the C4.

Butches
    Slip 2000 carbon killer
    Wipeout foam
    Patch out w/accelerator
    Wipeout carbon remover
    GM top Engine cleaner
    Mercury outboard engine cleaner
    Kroil
    Lucas injector cleaner
    All the above have been left in the throat area on a patch,
    for at least 12/24hrs, and all have failed to soften the ring.
    JB on a patched brush works. LDS

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    gotcha and 6MMsteve like this.
  6. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Well of coarse you had to call me out on this, C4 does liquefy carbon, the mop should help, it will be pressurized per se. No, I have not tried it.
    Plus Boretech C4 even though does eliminate carbon, has given me fits in the form as unless you remove it totally, it seems to coat the barrel to a point where a copper solvent will yield little, and scrubbing through it with a brush a must.
    Seems like there is no magical solution.
    Why I said it is my next move.

7. pacificman

pacificman

I use wipe-out or patch-out ...then clean with several patches...then I soak a patch with Boretech C4 and
    wrap this around a bronze or nylon brush and rotate this in the chamber area at the lands where the carbon
    builds up....I twist it around a bunch and this will clean the stubborn carbon every time. I have had to let
    it sit for a bit and sometimes do a bit more twisting on the real stubborn build up but it WILL get all carbon
    out on every rifle that needed hard carbon removed. ;):D

8. snakepit

snakepit Silver $$ Contributor

About every 200 or 300 rounds I insert a Sinclair Chamber Plug, then fill the barrel with C4 and let it set for a couple of hours, or a couple of days, or a couple of weeks and then drain it and run a couple of dry patches through the barrel then clean as per the Bore Tech cleaning instructions. I have had no carbon or carbon ring problems as checked by my borescope. Bore Tech told me they have barrels that have been soaking in tanks of C4 for as long as several years that they periodically check and have found no problems with the barrel and long term soaking.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    dogdude likes this.
  9. Martin52

Martin52

I use the VFG 7.5mm (plain and super intensive) felts in a 0.308 barrel. I bought the rod adapter that fits 3 felts for Iosso but run oil through the bore first as 3 felts increase resistance. I use 1 or 2 super intensives for carbon but not with Iosso. They seem to do a pretty good job but then again I don't have easy access to a borescope.....

10. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

I use C4 constantly with my target rifles that use Varget. Soak, scrub with brush, wrap patch around brush soaked, wrap patch of Iosso and JB around brush.

Push and pull for sometimes hours. Soak more in C4 when done. Get out my Lyman borescope and guess what. The black carbon is still in the pores of the metal forward of the throat - lands and grooves.

You can stop a build-up doing all that. You just cannot eliminate the affects of carbon completely.

milanuk likes this.
  11. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Iosso on a nylon brush short stroked works for me.

12. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

^^^ This ^^^

13. yotehater

yotehater Silver $$ Contributor

^^^ Has worked for me too.

14. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

@LarryDScott I've tried nearly everything on your list, albeit without literally soaking with either a chamber plug or a bore mop in the throat. I've got a few .308 barrels that I've brushed, patched, tried JB on patches, JB + VFG pellets, even the 'aggressive' version... still have big black streaks up the middle of the grooves - streaks that look like broken asphalt in the bore scope, and get longer as the round count goes up. Gun seems to shoot regardless, so I'm not too concerned... more just irritated that I can't get rid of it.

15. T-shooter

T-shooter

Has anyone tried a product like this made for car engines? If you've ever worked on engines, the carbon on the valves is hard to remove.

Carbon.jpg

16. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

Ummm... read the list Larry provided above ^

At least 1/3 of those are engine cleaners.

17. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie

Same here.

18. boltman13

boltman13 Gold $$ Contributor

I now use C4 every time until patches come out clean then leave some in at least 2 hours and if the patch is clean I use Alcohol X 2 to remove any C4 and finish with Butches for copper. I used to think Butches got the carbon as well but my Bore Cam showed otherwise. I was able to get out the hard carbon by using Flitz Bore Cleaner a 7mm brush and patch over it in my 30 cal barrel and a lot of passes. I now plan to do this every 5th match or so and check with my Bore Cam. Hopefully the C4 will keep the hard baked on carbon from my barrel.

RandyTBallenger likes this.
  19. nmkid

nmkid Silver $$ Contributor

I have to ask...How can you tell if you have a 'carbon ring'? Is it visible to the naked eye?

20. noload

noload

I'm not concerned with a carbon ring, unless it is so much as to keep my neck from expanding. I just do some extra brushing now and then to keep it in check. You are going to to get a carbon stain after 1 shot, just keep it in check. I have a piece of tubing turned the same size as my neck so I can check how bad the carbon really is.

gotcha likes this.