Three Way Trimmer

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Ccrider, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

What are you guys using to trim and chamfer your cases with. I have been using a RCBS electric trimmer and prep station. Sometimes I will chamfer/debur using a hand tool.

Is there a reliable three way trimmer that you is a must have for ppc/br cases?

Thanks

2. 46and2

46and2

No help here really, I just want to say that the motorized RCBS three way trimmer setup is probably the best, most time saving device I've ever bought for reloading.

Ccrider likes this.
  3. waltk

waltk Gold $$ Contributor

I don't know if you can get a case holder for ppc/br brass for this unit but you can't go wrong with a Giraud.

Ccrider likes this.
  4. jthor

jthor

Giraud or Henderson precision gen 2 which uses Forsters tri trimmer bits. If Henderson precision would drop the price on their units it would be quite successful and push volumes out.

Ccrider likes this.
  5. johnmyers

johnmyers Gold $$ Contributor

21st Century is very good

Petros284 and Ccrider like this.
  6. Ccrider

To now, I have been trimming with the RCBS Lathe and then using the prep center or a hand tool to debur and chamfer. Somewhat slow but I am not doing a lots of cases.

Got to thinking that precise chamfering may have some bearing on accuracy and that using a triway may be more consistent. Then again, it may not matter at all. Just wanted to know if there is a better way. I though about having the trim it II make me a ppc set up.

7. 46and2

46and2

8. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve only used the Forster 3 way but it’s worked very well for me.

David

Ccrider likes this.
  9. 46and2

46and2

10. Ccrider

11. Ccrider

12. Ccrider

13. 46and2

46and2

It's a bit of a learning curve but once your dialed in its great.

Ccrider likes this.
  14. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Giraud offers a 3-way cutter that one mounts to a motor or drill press. Same head as their motorized unit but $300+ cheaper.

Ccrider likes this.
  15. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

how well does this trimmer work

16. bsekf

bsekf

I use a plain old chamfering/deburring tool chucked in my drill press to take the burr of the cases after I trim. I do use a VDL chamfering tool before bullet seating.

I trim to square the case mouth and I chamfer to keep from marking the base of the bullet and deburr to keep from marking the chamber. Are there other reasons? Other than correct case length.

Bill

17. JMS597

JMS597 Silver $$ Contributor

I have the same trimmer without the power attachment. I use a drill motor or electric screwdriver to provide the power. Once you have it set up the 3-way cutter does very well. You still need to touch it up with chamfer / deburr but it doesn't take much.
    The RCBS Trim-Mate takes care of it pretty quick. I can also do it manually with RCBS or Lyman tools.

18. Straightshooter1

Straightshooter1 Gold $$ Contributor

I've been using the Giraud Tri-Way mounted in a corded drill for quite some time and and it works great giving very consistent cartridge lengths (as long as the shoulder's are bumped back to a consistent length) and very good and consistent chamfering and deburring. One thing I do to keep any shavings from getting into the case is to simply hold the unit vertically so their no chance of this. It's fast and easy all the way around.

19. Switchbarrel

Switchbarrel Gold $$ Contributor

I agree. Bought one years ago when they first came out and never took the time to adjust it correctly and wasn’t happy with my results...no surprise. Kept the powered trimmer, returned the 3-way cutter.

Just recently, so tired of trimming, chamfering, etc. all in separate operations. I researched all the 3 way cutters I could find. I couldn’t decide if I liked the idea of trimming based on case OAL or some shoulder datum. On a whim, I bought another RCBS 3-way cutter head.

This time I read the instructions & took my time adjusting it.

It actually works great with the powered trimmer. So much so, that I bought several more for each of my calibers.

-Rick

46and2 likes this.
  20. 46and2

46and2

Yep. Got one for almost every caliber.