Thoughts!!

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by butchlambert, Oct 4, 2017.

1. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I had spent an hour in the bank with my dad, as he had to transfer some money. I couldn't resist myself and asked...

''Dad, why don't we activate your internet banking?''

''Why would I do that?'' he asked...

''Well, then you wont have to spend an hour here for things like transfer.
    You can even do your shopping online, everything will be so easy!”
    I was so excited about initiating him into the world of Net banking.

He asked ''If I do that, I won’t have to step out of the house?

''Yes, yes''! I said, I told him how even grocery can be delivered at door now and how amazon delivers everything!

His answer left me tongue-tied, he said: ''Since I entered this bank today, I have met four of my friends, I have chatted a while with the staff who know me very well by now. You know I’m alone... this is the company that I need. I like to get ready and come to the bank, I have enough time and it is the *physical touch* that I crave. Two years back when I got sick, the store owner from whom I buy fruits, came to see me and sat by my bedside and cried. When your Mom fell down few days back while on her morning walk, our local grocer saw her and immediately got his car to rush her home as he knows where I live. Would I have that 'human' touch if everything became online? Why would I want everything delivered to me and force me to interact with just my computer? I like to know the person that I'm dealing with and not just the 'seller'. It creates bonds and relationships. Does online deliver all this as well?

*Technology isn't Life .
    Spend time with People .. Not with Devices*

MQ1, roninfl., dbduff and 43 others like this.
  2. powderbrake

powderbrake Silver $$ Contributor

That is so true.
    I still "bank" at my bank.
    (But I do buy a lot on Amazon):rolleyes:

3. BP1

BP1 Gold $$ Contributor

Gotta give your father a big Amen brother for keeping it real and he is 100% correct.

gambleone and perry42 like this.
  4. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Lol, he is right, but the bank is one outing I can survive without doing in person. Web suffices.

5. divingin

divingin

I buy stuff online, as it's easier than searching locally for those items. Anything I need that I can find locally I buy locally.

My social life pretty consists of work, the bar, and the range, and the odd face to face with my neighbors.

6. moondog

moondog Silver $$ Contributor

So true! I've never used an ATM, never will. We do our banking Saturday morning with the Dogs in tow.
    The tellers know the dogs and vs versa. Bought a trigger from a member here and got the wrong
    one, my bad. I was dealing with it through P.M.s and put my number in the text. Got a Call and had a
    GREAT conversation with the member. Oh Yeah, he sent me the right trigger without payment or
    return of the wrong one! Good luck doing that on Amazon!

7. pdhntr

pdhntr

Kurt Vonnegut circa 1996:

"I work at home, and if I wanted to, I could have a computer right by my bed, and I'd never have to leave it. But I use a typewriter, and afterward I mark up the pages with a pencil. Then I call up this woman named Carol out in Woodstock and say, “Are you still doing typing?” Sure she is, and her husband is trying to track bluebirds out there and not having much luck, and so we chitchat back and forth, and I say, “Okay, I'll send you the pages.” Then I go down the steps and my wife calls, “Where are you going?” “Well,” I say, “I'm going to buy an envelope.” And she says, “You're not a poor man. Why don't you buy a thousand envelopes? They'll deliver them, and you can put them in the closet.” And I say, “Hush.” So I go to this newsstand across the street where they sell magazines and lottery tickets and stationery. I have to get in line because there are people buying candy and all that sort of thing, and I talk to them. The woman behind the counter has a jewel between her eyes, and when it's my turn, I ask her if there have been any big winners lately. I get my envelope and seal it up and go to the postal convenience center down the block at the corner of Forty-seventh Street and Second Avenue, where I'm secretly in love with the woman behind the counter. I keep absolutely poker-faced; I never let her know how I feel about her. One time I had my pocket picked in there and got to meet a cop and tell him about it. Anyway, I address the envelope to Carol in Woodstock. I stamp the envelope and mail it in a mailbox in front of the post office, and I go home. And I've had a hell of a good time. I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different."

hogpatrol, Riesel, spclark and 2 others like this.
  8. chuckshooter

chuckshooter Silver $$ Contributor

I had an interesting situation with banking. I am fortunate enough to have had some successful businesses. one of them, my partner and I decided not to sign up for internet access. we thought it would be safer. what we found out is by not signing up for online access, anyone who has our social and other pertinent data could easily set it up and then of course drain the account. in today's world we all know getting some ones data is not all that hard. so I recommend even if you don't use it, set it up, so someone else can not. just my 2 cents. it actually cost me a little than that, but "oh well"

9. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Like anything else, there's a balance, at least there should be, between automation and person to person interactions. Automation by way of computers and other devices allow us to better use our time and complete busy schedules. At the same time, the ability to interact socially and reinforce relationships can never be replaced by automation. Every individual has to determine what that balance in their life will be.

10. T-shooter

T-shooter

I've heard older people (I'm retirement age too) are afraid that direct deposit could steal their money. My father when he was alive would cash his check, then run to each individual location to pay each bill in cash. Then store all the receipts. What took him half a day takes me less than 10 minutes. My brother still insists on paying all bills with checks and depositing checks physically at the bank. Online is so much easier and you get a confirmation number instantly. Besides sending out a check with your name, address, probably a phone number, banking account and tracking numbers is just asking for identity theft. Plus you never know if they got their payment or not until they send you a non-payment letter. How many millions of letters are lost each year? No issues for me in over 15 years paying online. When buying use Paypal and they will protect you, as will eBay. I've never had a case where I didn't get my money back, but several where I didn't get the product, usually from China. Use a credit card, not a debit card whenever possible for extra safety.

11. Rsadams

Rsadams

I think he is right.. I blame this disassociated society on the internet.. you never meet people face to face anymore like you used to.. On the internet you can say anything you want normally with out getting a beating so people have zero conflict resolution skills any more...

GrocMax likes this.
  12. knguyen

knguyen

Your father is a very smart and wise Man.
    with how fast the world is moving and how we have all become attached to our Smart Phones, tablets, internet banking, shopping(amazon: to your house in practically the same day: if you order by *** time):
    as with grow on how we are so all connected to each other by electronic means: we have all in essence become more disconnected to each other:
    we are losing quickly the meaning of life,: we as humans: need companionship. we need to talk to others around us, we need support(not just by texting). we need to hold our elders hands, we need to be more involved in their lives daily.
    I am just as guilty as all people: i try to not touch my phone during the day when i work: but i end up checking it anyways: shame on me.
    disconnect from your devices and reconnect with people.
    Your Father is a Wise Men.
    Khanh

Jet and butchlambert like this.
  13. T-shooter

T-shooter

I agree and especially Social Media. I refuse to ever get on Twitter or Facebook. If I can't say it in an email or on the phone, it doesn't need to be said. Facebook is one of the worst thing that ever happened! Younger people are so consumed with their online "friends". They aren't friends! They couldn't live without their phones. I have a cell phone. It's always turned off unless I expect a call when I'm not at home or need to make an emergency call. If it rang and annoyed me, I'd take a hammer to it.

dogdude, Shawnba67 and Rsadams like this.
  14. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

Butch, as I was reading this, it kind of reminded me of Andy Griffith's town Mayberry. Good for your father.

Don Dunlap

15. Rsadams

Rsadams

I use Facebook but limit my friends to only people that are actually friends and am not afraid to shorten that list..I also keep my post were only those people can read or even see them... And once a year do a purge of people who are just collecting friends and don't actually read what I post.. I do reserve the right to blast mall Ninjas when they post crap like the other day when one said if you drop a Glock it will no longer work..lol..

But you are right sir , I go to even a bar and people are sitting right next to each other and on their phones.. Hello , you have a friend next to you... It's everywhere I went to eat the other day and watched a lady who was there before I got there and she never said a word to the people she was with and never stopped with the phone..

16. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

You have a wise Father! The electronic world has diminished human interchange is so many ways. I raised seven children and my Father lives with us at home. Cell phones are always in their hands and often times they totally tune out even when family and friends all around. Cell phones were constantly ringing and text alerts were always interrupting. It frustrated me. About 7 years ago I pulled out a bucket and placed it on the kitchen counter and initiated a new rule. When we eat or have company over, everyone must put their phone in the bucket, powered down. They didn't like it, I even had to get use to it. Instantly the positive effects became obvious though, everyone become much more engaged and instead burying their heads on social media and text messages with their phone they found that family and friends offered pretty good conversation in person. We stuck with it and now my Children who are starting their own families have carried the rule over to their own homes.

Phones and computers are convient but the diminish the human experience in many ways. Your Father should be commended.

Nice post.

17. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Guys,
    My very best friend of 58years sent this to me. He wrote it, but that was my Father. He was very much a people person. Being a 28yr Military person he did as the post said and enjoyed his Buds at the NCO club.
    Lots of great memories. Maybe that is the reason that I have a pre flip phone. Mine is for conversation only, not my life.

waynemac likes this.
  18. Intheshop

Intheshop

Good story Butch.

I'm about as bad in that,although there's several branches of our bank.....the only one I go to is the first one in this area.Been seeing the same teller for 25 years.Can pull up to the window on a sportbike,full face helmet,head to toe race leathers.....quite often on a different bike,she still goes "how are you today Mr. ____ "?

It's eye contact,a smile,a wink,a handshake....hard to do that online?

19. dickn52

dickn52 Silver $$ Contributor

I'd give anything to be able to walk into a bank with my father again. I like your father Butch. (Charles?)

Jet likes this.
  20. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds good to me. I go to my bank because my woman is very quiet unless I anger her,LOL She is Irish and so am I.