Thoughts on the northland shooters and Bat partnership?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Falfan2017, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Falfan2017

Falfan2017 Gold $$ Contributor

On the nss website it says they will soon offer bat actions that will work with the remage barrel but set up. Would this be worth having over a trued Remington action? How much would you be giving up over a true custom fit barrel with a Bat?

2. boltfluter

boltfluter

Personally , I don't understand buying a Bat action and going cheap on the barrel. I would just do a Remington with a barrel nut system.

Paul

Danley, Stan Taylor, JBT and 4 others like this.
  3. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

There are several other custom actions that will work with Savage and Remage type set ups. How are they working out?
    There is a market for this and many seem to be satisfied for their purposes. If they weren't satisfied, the market would go away. But instead, it just got larger.
    And as for how much would you be giving up, 90+% of us can't shoot the difference, me included.

4. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Yup! The only reason for the “nut system” is to be able to buy cheaper prechambered barrels that you can install “without a Smith”. Don’t forget that you have to buy and use the go and no go gauges and fiddle around with getting your headspace set right. I change barrels on my guns all the time but they’re shouldered barrels from my smith. They cost a little more, but I get a custom chamber. Then, I don’t need the gauges. I don’t even have to take my gun apart to do it. That saves a lot of time.;)
    Now, if you break the bank buying a Bat and can’t afford the custom barrel right now, go for it! Personally, I’d wait a few more Paydays and get the full custom.:)

hoz53 and Jet like this.
  5. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy

Boltfluter How do you come up with cheaper?
    My cost for a barrel blank are no different regardless of which action it is for, the only thing now the barrel makers figured out they can make more $$$ if they thread and chamber these same barrels for the DIY crowd.
    Do you honestly think the person pulling barrels for shipping knows what they are going on.

BigKev likes this.
  6. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I think the meaning was, remage and Savage barrel nut barrels are sold thru Midway, Brownells, Eabco etc. They are not all custom barrels that need fitting to that system. They are prefit nut style barrels. Definitely the economical way to go.

boltfluter likes this.
  7. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy

I have 6-7 after market barrels for my Savages and only 1 is from NSS, all the rest were chambered and threaded by a GS but done to fit the Savage nut system. They are all select match quality or whatever the maker calls them and none are any cheaper than one that is fitted.
    I've never bought from those sellers listed.

BigKev, Mark W and remdriver like this.
  8. boltfluter

boltfluter

Groggy,

From what you are describing you are not buying a pre-fit barrel. You have a custom, fitted barrel, with a nut. The better option of the two. A pre-fit is usually chambered by the manufacturer of the barrel and is a universal fit for most receivers. Usually a step up from a factory barrel but not as good as a custom fitted one. Yours is the better option. In my opinion.:D:D

Paul

9. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

That's hard to say without trying one out however in my opinion a custom action like Bat is machined to tighter tolerances no need for trueing or timing. Any mention of price point.
    J

mikeinct and Taildrag15X like this.
  10. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

You don’t have to have a special action to work with the remage system. You can use it in any Remington 700 and any custom action that has Remington threads in the tenion. For most of us accuracy from a trued Remington or the bat both with remage system would probably be about the same. But it’s the same old story the bat would hold much of its value but the Remington is always going to be worth what a Remington is worth 3 to 400 bucks. If I was you I’d get one of the new CNC machined Remington’s and try it with your remage barrel. If it doesn’t meet your expectations you can get most of your money out of the rem action and then buy a custom. I wouldn’t pay to true a Remington these days.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    TC260, mikeinct and SPJ like this.
  11. hoz53

+1. Me neither

12. hoz53

I would only ever buy nutted barrels that are the prefit drop in ones that are available out there. I’d never pay a gunsmith to turn a blank into a nutted barrel. If I’m paying to have the barrel fitted I’d get a shouldered barrel. I don’t buy nut jobs anymore either because I fit my own barrels and I wouldn’t make any barrels I fit nutted ones. Inless I got a good barrel for nothing that didn’t have the diameter to make a shoulder and I felt like messing around with it.

13. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

I like NSS. I have bought 3 Criterion barrels. All shoot great. They offer a lot of options for the person who wants to buy the parts and build their own rifle. They offer an easy way to build an excellent semi custom rifle.

14. Baddog0302

Baddog0302 Silver $$ Contributor

In the Marine Corps,and other armed services that teach marksmanship the term Maximum Effect range is used. M.E. is also used to refer to the shooter ie;ME, or what can the individual shooter do. As to the OP's question,As the distance to a target increases from 200 yard , the abilities of 90+% of the shooters matter more that if they were shooting a $ 5000.00 set up or a $ 1000.00 set up.

15. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy

Well Hoz I don't have a machine shop, or a lathe or mill, or surface grinder, so I send mine out to have them done for me and to have the best possible fit IMO.

NorCalMikie likes this.
  16. Falfan2017

I'm using a savage with criterion and nut now. It is pretty competitive with all but the best customs I've come up against. Shooting groups close to one inch at 600 a couple calm days. However I wish I'd gone with a bat or other Remington clone or even a Remington. The aftermarket trigger options are so much better for the Remington clones and the bolt lift even without a round chambered is hard enough on the savage to rock the gun in the bags.

17. Falfan2017

No not yet just said coming soon

18. ridgeway

ridgeway

I highly doubt BAT is partnering with them. They are asking BAT to make something to their specs...

KMart and hoz53 like this.
  19. hoz53

Exactly my point and I’d get them shouldered so you get the best possible fit

LRPV likes this.
  20. hoz53

I like NSS to I’ve bought barrels from them in the past.

mikeinct likes this.