This rifle shooting avocation is all consuming.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by velocette, May 19, 2019.

1. velocette

velocette Silver $$ Contributor

Today, after leaving home at 7am and arriving at Manatee 620 yd range at 10:30 I enjoyed a morning and early afternoon of clanging steel targets of varying size, from 2'X3' down to 3" diameter. Great fun, rewarding, satisfying, etc etc. Then drove home. 376 miles round trip. $27.00 range fees, $56.00 in gasoline, $3.00 in tolls, about $50.00 worth of bullets, primers, powder etc. And I had a great time.
    The thing is, many of my friends go A LOT further, A h--- of a lot further. Of course all for the same satisfaction, well maybe. Several of my friends make a yearly pilgrimage to Camp Perry. (1200 miles one way and at least a week and a half including travel) Some come back with Gold, Silver and Bronze. Others come back with memories.
    The point is, we spend hard earned $, drive many miles, get punished by hard kicking rifles or capricious winds that turn that X into a (cursed) 9.
    And we come back for more.
    Dam- I had a good day today.

Dgd6mm, Al Lu, Rushty and 5 others like this.
  2. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

are we having fun yet.it's all a state of mind,,lose your mind you don't care anymore,,go for it.

'Freak, PatMiles, rwj and 1 other person like this.
  3. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Love to chat but I have about 20eleben things to do.

4. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

Absolutely... especially for me as there are fewer good days ahead than behind...

5. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Suggestion: Make that drive to the range with a friend.

Small Benefit: Save money by sharing the gas costs.

Big Benefit: Enjoying the camaraderie of shooting at the range with a good buddy or family member.

Hanging out with my older brother (a VN vet) is how I got "re-acquainted" with shooting 30 years ago. Without that incentive this site might not exist -- and I wouldn't have made hundreds of good friends in many countries.

My 6mmbr -- the "Poor Man's Hammer" that really was the inspiration for creating 6mmBR.com, the predecessor of AccurateShooter.com

[​IMG]

dgeesaman, rckendall, foxguy and 17 others like this.
  6. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Some of my most recent fond memories are trips to the range . I shoot with my Son now,we belong to 3 ranges within a 25 miles from our homes so it gives us a chance to get together . I enjoy the solitude of having the range to myself as the sun comes up...perfect time for testing before the wind kicks up...but I am finding it just as much fun loading for his rifles and watching that smile come to his face when we are dialing that load in. Some days I don't even get my guns out of the truck , just cool to spend time with him.

7. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

you think rifle shooting is bad, wait until you discover Harley-Davidsons. The HD sign over the door actually stands for "hunnadolla!".

pirate ammo and Bc'z like this.
  8. velocette

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
  9. velocette

Tried to answer in your post, Forum Boss, but fumble fingers with Arthur screwed that up.
    Your rifle looks just like my .222 with its Richards microfit stock.

10. linekin

linekin Silver $$ Contributor

Shooting can become a mindset. It has for me anyway & there isn't a day goes by that I don't embrace it somehow. Nothing better than a day at the range irregardless of how well we do. Toss in some friends & all the better.
    Keith

BenPerfected, Snuggie, joshb and 2 others like this.
  11. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Wow what dedication you are the man. Not sure I could do that,My range is about one beer up the creek

Bc'z likes this.
  12. velocette

Idaho, It ain't just Harleys. I've owned, built, restored, raced, rode, shown, etc etc motorcycles for a bit over 40 years. Sad to say that arthritis, and 75 years of living has ended my love affair with 2 wheelers. (The horrible drivers in south Florida added to the problem a LOT) Fortunately I can still shoot fairly well.
    Keep on riding sir!

13. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah, but at the end of the day you can look back and say "I did that and loved every second of it!" Think of the many, many people who draw their last breath and say "is that all there was?"
    Don't EVER stop finding and doing new and interesting things!

New Gun, 'Freak, hpshooter and 7 others like this.
  14. FFEMT

FFEMT Gold $$ Contributor

Actually (HD) hunnadolla doesn't sound that bad,
    I have a (BOAT) Break out another thousand.

BenPerfected, joshb, MislMan and 4 others like this.
  15. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Mine was bust out another TEN.
    We need to get together n shoot, your side of the hill or mine!

mikeinct and muleman69 like this.
  16. Bully

Bully Silver $$ Contributor

What ammo box is that? It's awesome!!!

17. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

Brett's a lot closer,I know for a fact.Start pricing the tier 3 EMD V-16 645 E2's or move to Cats you will have a heart attack,,Capt.Dan

18. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Yeh sounds good, need to find time to do that for sure.

mikeinct and Bc'z like this.
  19. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

hunnadolla is just the minimum; call it the equivalent of the ante in high stakes poker...

BenPerfected and Bc'z like this.
  20. FFEMT

FFEMT Gold $$ Contributor

I fully understand the "minimum", my boat serves the same purpose.... in the high stakes poker game onboard my "YACHT"..... ;~}

Bc'z likes this.