This is a fine kettle of fish - NOT!

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by TheOtherZilla, Jul 9, 2018.

1. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I was out pdawgin and coyote gettin yesterday. Made a loop to Adobe Town , then on to the Powders. Was havin a great day just me and the dog and nothing for as far as you could see.. I get the idea that my 17 HMR needs some cleaning for some reason. So get my bore snake out and a bit of solvent. Pull the bore snake through and..... *&$**! It gets stuck.. WTF? I am sure it was the proper one cause I keep em in the correct package when not in use.. I look with a flash light and it is just in the chamber almost to the lands.. Gonna take the barrel off and see if I can snag it with a crochet needle.. I have been using bore snakes since they came out and no problems. Good thing I carry more than one weapon.

2. steve123

steve123

I hate surprises!

I have a nickel plated 223 case stuck in my Lee die, not the first time it's happened. I even put extra die wax on it???

3. Rsadams

Rsadams

Why I don't use nickel plated cases , plus the nickel flakes off and scratches the inside of the die eventually......

dickn52 likes this.
  4. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Maybe you could use a good sized fish hook with a large barb. Straighten it out and see if you could hook the bore snake. Maybe glue it or tape it to the knitting needle so you could handle it better.

5. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Now that is thinking outside of the box. Great idea.

6. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

Got it out, and it wasn't easy. I tried a hard piece of wire bent on the end. Nope, all I ended up doing was pinching my hand in the pliers. Next up a crochet needle, a small one. Even more nope. So I got a small long deck screw and screwed it in and pulled. A little progress. Finally I could get the pliers on it and it came out.. For some reason the loop on the end of the bore snake hung up. No knot or anything. I straightened it all out and tried it again. I am a dumbass.. It stuck again. Dug it back out and threw it away.. Thank god this was my CZ 455 and the barrel is easy to remove.

The fish hook woulda been the deal.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Popped a hernia trying to pull out my Bore Snake. I threw it out lest I be tempted to try it again.

8. B23

B23

I've read on multiple occasions where guys have the pull string break off and they get them stuck in there barrel.

I think if a person uses them along with a barrel cleaning solvent it'd probably be a good idea to wash the solvent out after every use because I think if you don't, the solvent eats away at the fibers and they are more prone to breaking after multiple uses.

9. steve123

steve123

I guess it's one of those live and learn type things??? There is something weird about this one size die, maybe is wasn't hardened correctly, I've been putting up with it for 25 years, lol. It's in the trash and I'm buying a higher quality set of dies.

OP, glad you got it out!

10. Rsadams

Rsadams

They definitely have a life span... I am guilty of not taking proper care like I should... I dont think mine will last 25 years..lol

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  11. Rsadams

Rsadams

I will admit my .22 bore snake is not exactly easy to pull through... You have to wrap it around your hand several times...

I had a bronze brush pull out of the threaded end and halfway in the barrel , luckily the wire end was sticking out enough to grab with pliers and pull out and yes I managed to get my finger also.... I will never pull a brush back through a bore again , can't imagine what would have happened if it was in the middle of the barrel....