Thinking about building a rifle- what caliber should I get?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by skeet_man, Jan 10, 2018.

1. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

For 100-200, another obvious choice, but a hair more out out of the mainstream, would be to do a 6 PPC and buy prepared and hydroformed brass from a brass service like DJ’s (no affiliation here).

If I did that, I’d 100% get a clone with a combo bolt face that would also work reliably with standard-boltface cases.

If I did that, I’d get a 13.5 twist. LV or HV profile.

I’d specifically avoid doing a no-turn PPC with Norma brass unless I could get a reamer and dies that would work with Norma brass. The dies would be “PPC USA” dies, IIRC. Norma PPC brass and brass made from Lapua 220 Russian or similar are not the same animal.

Once again, if you wanted to also shoot longer range (like more than 300 in this specific recommendation) I’d do things differently.

Greg J

2. expiper

expiper

hogpatrol likes this.
  3. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I am very happy with my No Turn Neck 6mmBR Norma with a 1:8 twist barrel. It loves 90 Grain Lapua Scenars as well as 105 Bergers, though I have a 1:13.5 twist on my 6PPC that I will be shooting 65-68 grainers with. If I was a hunter, I think I would like the 6BR over the PPC. Also have a 6.5x47L, which I love too.

Lapua .22-250 small rifle primer pockets? I guess you could buy Lapau .308 Palma Brass with the small rifle primer pockets and neck them down to .224?

Bob

4. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

No feeding/ejection issues with the BR case if you go this route, either.

5. expiper

expiper

this is the shizzel ,,,,,there are lots of folks out there who say this isnt possible,,,,they need some experience in gunsmithing,,,not blacksmithing,,,,,I have a Kodiak that runs just like this,,,,
    Roger

Dgd6mm likes this.
  6. Midnightmedic

Midnightmedic Silver $$ Contributor

Go custom (above atlas is very nice) action in a 6mmBR. I would go with a 1:8 twist; .272 neck and a .090”-.103” free bore. Why? 8twist will shoot 105 class bullets into .2’s moa groups with little load work and 30.0 grains of Varget. Here’s what I’ve found with my 6Br.
    -105 amax excellent on pdogs/coyotes
    -105 berger VLDH drops 300# mule deer
    -105 berger hybrid earned me Master in 1000 yard f-class
    -Every youngster 10 years and over has been able to connect on moa sized steels out to 1000 yards or but 3 to 5 shots in one ragged hole at 100 yards.
    Very accurate, easy to reload, and even easier to shoot and enjoy. Build a beautiful rifle and ask to take the farmers kids out to the pasture and show them how to shoot. Opens doors for the next generation, a place to shoot steel, varmints and big deer!

expiper likes this.
  7. JimT

JimT Gold $$ Contributor

WOW!!! What "caliber" is that? I mean WTF "CARTRIDGE" is that?? I relish the day when neophytes understand words really do have meaning!!

8. retired

retired

what part of
    "The rifle range at my club goes to 200 yards,"
    so you people not understand ?

atleast the second person to design a long range rifle for his
    TWO HUNDRED YARD RANGE.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. Twicepop

Twicepop

How about the 6XC, it's kinda' like an Ackleyized version of the 6MM International, or a 22-250 Ackley necked up to 6MM. If you have or can get the Feb 2018 edition of Handloader, there a multi page story on it.

10. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

6XC is a good round, but the shoulder on the 6XC is 30 degrees. Not 40 deg like Ackley improved cartridges

11. Midnightmedic

Midnightmedic Silver $$ Contributor

Just pointing out that a 6BR with an 1;8 twist barrel and 105gr bullets will shoot .25 moa or better at 100-200 yards and give you the opportunity to "think about" trying any other shooting sports (including some hunting) out to 1000 yards. That is good enough to compete at most local clubs. If your need and ability requires you to shot in the .1's at 100-200yards only, I would build a 6ppc or 30BR for that.
    Just thought that a retired man that states he likes to travel in his profile might want options. Say come out to my country in June for world class fishing on the black canyon of the gunnison (some type of hunting all year) or one of the 300 reserviors on the Grand Mesa; enjoy mild camping at 10,000'; awarding winning local micro-brews or vinyards if you like that; 600 yard f-class first weekend and 1000yard f-class the next (march-november) with high master level shooters that love to give pointers for the new guys. Thats the joy of this site; the opinions and the ideas they create! Best of Luck and God Bless to you sir.

12. Twicepop

Twicepop

Hence "kinda' like" not just like.

13. retired

retired

and why not take advantage of what he HAS..a 200 yd range.
    14/12 twist 6br and lite bullets will eat up 200 yds...
    you are way past the asked question

14. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Why not let each person present their own opinions and alternatives to give the OP some options and help him figure out what he wants. Your opinion is no more correct than anyone else’s on here.

15. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

For the OP, I found this video on reloading. It's a decent introduction.

16. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for the 6BR, everything you need to know about it has been said in previous posts... you won’t regret it.

17. cjames

cjames Silver $$ Contributor

Since your range is only 200 yards. 6mmbr...or 300 Win Mag. ;)

300_whisper likes this.
  18. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 6mm BR on this thread??? That's what I would build for 200 yard paper punching and varmint hunting.....You're welcome ;)

Rushty and hogpatrol like this.
  19. 6xcshooter

6xcshooter

yeah they work with loaded ammo. now shoot those and see how it ejects them

20. JimT

JimT Gold $$ Contributor

I'm sure he has.

Ledd Slinger likes this.