Thinking about building a rifle- what caliber should I get?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by skeet_man, Jan 10, 2018.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man

So I've always had a love affair with the Remington 700. I had one in 223 RH (I'm LH) that never really turned me on since now that I have real LH bolt guns I can't warm up to a wrong handed one. Plus short/narrow cases don't work so hot w/ the factory Remington extractor unless you really crank on the bolt handle.

I've been kicking around the idea of putting a LH 700 together, using a factory stainless action, or springing for something much nicer and building from a Shilen DRG or DGV action (700 footprint w/ Savage threads and floating bolt head made by Stiller, 2x the $, but much easier to change calibers down the line if desired). Anyone know how good the current crop of 700 actions is, i've heard they are much closer to spec and don't require as much "blueprinting" work as older actions.

I really don't have much of a legitimate NEED for a new rifle, but it is nice to own nice things, and sometimes the satisfaction of owning something cool far outweighs it's uselessness LOL. The rifle range at my club goes to 200 yards, not really anything longer without a long drive unless you find a friendly farmer. Not really much of a hunter, but I would like to get into predator hunting. Already have a RECCE style AR and a Tikka 595, both in 223, so I really don't need/want another 223.

Not looking for anything with big recoil either, so probably more or less limited to something 6mm or smaller..

Handloading doesn't scare me (don't really want to get into fireforming, neck turning, ect, but not a dealbreaker), esoteric calibers don't scare me, wildcats don't scare me. In fact, I'm more inclined toward something out of the ordinary.

So what direction should I look? Basically narrowed down to something in 6mm. 6BR (probably most logical/easiest), 6PPC (probably most work), 6 Creedmoor, 6XC.

2. Westhunder

Westhunder Please excuse typos, sent from my iPhone. Gold $$ Contributor

3. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

6mm Creedmoor. Good factory ammunition. Similar ballistics to .243. Low recoil.

Sitsntree likes this.
  4. retired

retired

bbl burner..stick with a 6br and 600 yards is easy.

miles13, Zero333 and LHSmith like this.
  5. Sitsntree

Sitsntree

The 6 creedmoor is also good for varmints and deer should you decide to give them a try.Plus you would be part of out special creedmoor fraternity.

6. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

If you are looking for a 200 yard informal paper puncher, and want to stick in the mainstream, do a no-turn 6 BR with a (slower) twist and (shorter) freebore for the (light to mid-weight) bullet that you settle on and never look back. It’s stupid easy.

I have a college bud that I got into reloading and then shooting paper. He was using an older 30-06. I got tired of hearing him complain and loaned him a 6 BR. He’s now a convert and is preaching to all of his friends.

Here is my really rough-cut outline. Details may vary.

1. Sell off the M700s that you aren’t excited about.
    2. Get a custom M700 clone action with a standard 473 bolt face.
    3. Pick a bullet that you are comfortable with from the application and price point perspectives.
    4. Order a barrel with a twist that will comfortably stabilize that bullet.
    5. Get the rifle built. Get it chambered in straight 6 BR with a freebore that works with your bullet.
    6. Buy a $35 Lee press, a bushing full length resize die, a seater die, and the little odds and ends and get on YouTube on how to reload. Verify by running by the folks here. My one extra suggestion is to run virgin Lapua 6 BR brass over a 6mm expanding mandrel and through your FL resize die before the first loading. It’ll make you happier with that first loading.

The folks here are great and will help you the whole way. Exactly how I got started, btw.

If you don’t feel comfortable just posting, I’ll be happy to help via PM/text or whatever.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    answerman, damoncali, mr45man and 9 others like this.
  7. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Plus one. This is a good post.

The 6BR has great accuracy and the barrel will last longer then most. It is easy to load, no fireforming and fairly cheap to shoot. Lapua brass is good and will last a long time with annealing.

8. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^
    CW

9. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I'll pile on the 6br push. It was my first "out of the norm" cartridge and still one of my favorites. I also like the 6.5x47. It has a little more umph, but it's not necessarily needed for what you're thinking about. The 6br is just so easy and it burns less powder.
    On what action: I spent(wasted) a bunch of money trying to make do with factory actions. They shoot OK but I always had that nagging question in the back of my mind. Would a custom do better? I finally got a custom and answered that question. YES!! Save yourself time and money. Make one really good gun. You'll shoot it forever. Don't get a hot rod barrel burner. By the time you get comfortable with it, you'll be ready for a new barrel. Good luck!

10. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Same recommendation as others here, the 6BR, slow twist, probably a couple hundred different light bullets to choose from including some world beating customs. Powder selection? Pick one of about fifteen or twenty. They all work. Primers? Same deal, pick one. Brass? Lapua first choice, Norma, second choice. Unless a total clutz, the worst group you'll probably see is a 1/2 inch. All in all I believe it's the easiest caliber to make accurate loads.

nakneker and Ledd Slinger like this.
  11. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Dont give him that link! I wanted to start another one of these threads all over again! It's our weekly tradition! ;)

Westhunder, hogpatrol and joshb like this.
  12. Westhunder

Westhunder Please excuse typos, sent from my iPhone. Gold $$ Contributor

the only thing I’ll say here if you didn’t read the post of which I was looking for similar info that wasn’t mentioned here is that the 6br is not 100 reliable as a repeater. It’s close and I can’t speak from experience, however a couple of the guys that commented here are the ones that told me that and I trust them. I’m going to build a 6br or variant too.

Ledd Slinger and hogpatrol like this.
  13. 357Mag

357Mag

Skeet Man -

Howdy !

How bought some strange ?

One thought is go w/ a .250 Savage:
    Proven effective on varmints, deer....

Low recoil. Works well in a repeater.

It's an easy neck-up from .22-250, so Lapua SR primed brass is of possible use; if desired.

Due to the .25" cal's popularity level, it seems like .25" cal bullets are always in-stock
    @ local gun shops.

You might also consider a " prefit barrel ", and DIY.

Just a thought.

With regards,
    357Mag

14. GSPV

Lapua 22-250 small rifle primer brass? Didn’t know there was such an animal.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  15. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Me neither

16. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Gold $$ Contributor

THIS!!!!

272 neck /125 freeboreish 6BR. 1-8 twist Heavy varmint or bull 26"

Except I would say to get a Criterion barrel and install it yourself. Install a Jewell varmint trigger, and get a Aluminum bedding system stock from Revolution from Stocky's Stocks and you are done. No need to wait for a "build".

17. GSPV

If I was going to shoot 100-200 yards, I’d build a slower twist/shorter freebore to shoot light to mid-weight bullets. The 8 twist, longer freebore is super for longer range. If you decide that you want to shoot the longer range stuff, fast twist/long freebore for the 105-ish class of bullets is the way to go.

Talking to someone that can work with you is why I didn’t suggest doing it yourself.

hogpatrol likes this.
  18. expiper

expiper

do it right,,,Kelbly Atlas,,,6 BR or Dasher,or .243 win,,,,,can change bbl quicker that fooling with savage nut,,and never a headspace issue,,,Roger

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    DCRYDER and hogpatrol like this.
  19. 243winxb

243winxb

243 Winchester with a fast twist barrel .

wholman likes this.
  20. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox