They're Cute Unless ya Grow Alfalffa

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by jds holler, Feb 11, 2018.

1. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

scan0005.jpg

This image might make good targets.:) Don't remember I shot this one or not. jd

2. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

It just looks like another kind of rat to me.;) A cousin in law visited us from New Zealand and saw a grey squirrel for the first time, in our yard. He dubbed it a "tree rat".:eek:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    GaryL1959 likes this.
  3. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

ONE CLICK UP AND ONE CLICK TO THE RIGHT DEAD ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

okie, WyleWD and MrMajestic like this.
  4. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

pop goes the weasel

brokeasajoke likes this.
  5. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

"WHAT STACY SAID.". :)

6. Timgunner

Timgunner Silver $$ Contributor

Nothing is quite as enjoyable as dispatching prairie dogs!:D

7. orbitup

orbitup Silver $$ Contributor

Need any help clearing them out?

8. jds holler

That little rascal is a Beldings Ground Squirrel. They are the most common varmint to shoot around here in the late winter through spring and early summer. By August, most of them are in hibernation.

A good field will be an incredibly target rich environment, and you can often burn many hundreds of rounds without moving from your spot. With the 22 rimfire, I have several times killed one with a ricochet, or two with one shot. They generally weigh less than a pound, and explode pretty dramatically with the mopowerfuller rounds.

My arsenal these days is generally the 22 rimfire, 218 Bee, 20-222, 22BR, and sometimes in a safe spot one of my SKS's or even the 45 Hawkin. jd

026.JPG

holstil and okie like this.
  9. snert

I really need to come visit you!

Just learned my daughter has a new "friend" who happens to live in Wyoming. Hunts. Called me to ask if he could date her. Polite. respectful. Said he shoots a buck and few does a year, couple antelope. I was thinking "good guy". Asked him about prairie dogs. He asked why i would shoot them as they don't eat so good.

He has some learning yet...;)

snert

10. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Snert: You can get a nice piece of land if you have a daughter to trade. Prolly get 5 or 6 good horses in the trade, too. Maybe times have changed? Just what I read in some old books.:confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::oops:
    Seriously: If you haven't seen Wyoming, go! You might not come back.;) Sounds like this kid has some good values. You at least have to go see what he's made of.

CTshooter likes this.
  11. snert

Ironically, we did travel thru Wy a few years ago. Now she is in OK in college. Discovered that we attended a concert in Rapid city in 2014 (just happened to be there for free Newsboys concert) and he was also there, same time. Weird how small the world is.
    Hunts coyotes, fishes. So far, so good. (Ironically, my daughter shot one woodchuck, never had any interest beyond that, likes books...but likes a guy who shoots things. I must have rubbed off a little)

Now back to our regular programming...

foxguy likes this.
  12. snert

Oh, and speaking of trading, when I got my wife her dad never told me she needed her wisdom teeth removed...cost me $800! My daughter needs hers done and I see a deal looming.

joshb, orbitup and Jesse Gietzen like this.
  13. snert

JD, I keep looking at that photo and trying to figure a way to get out there to meet up. Dang, that looks like fun.

14. L.Sherm

L.Sherm

Its about as much fun as you will have with your clothes on.

Nature Boy likes this.
  15. joed49

joed49

Where is that? In OH we have groundhogs, about the size of a large house cat. But, not in great numbers anymore. It was a good day if we got off 25 shots in a day f hunting.

My dream is to hunt prairie dogs someday, but this looks pretty good.

16. jds holler

Me and my ground squirrels are out here in Oregon. We're on the side of the mountains where some sanity still exits. It is changing though, to the point where it's getting hard to find open land that is safe shooting. A lot of farmers get to starving, and sell off pieces of real estate to save the ranch. Bingo-- you now have a California transplant with a hobby horse farm in the back forty.

Solar farms are getting pretty big around here also. And they are generally placed in areas where a guy used to go safely shooting.

I'm gonna have to up my game when it comes to finding places to shoot in the future. I've lost some good ones in the last few years, and it's hard to find new ones. Doesn't help that I've still got a job that takes valuable time away from my recreation.:rolleyes: jd

joshb likes this.
  17. joed49

joed49

I'm in OH and it is pretty much the same thing. Many farmers have sold off their a portion of their property close to the road. Leaves them a field but now you get city dwellers that build a home on the edge of a field. Kind of kills hunting in the field.

I just learned the village where I live bought 750 acres of hunting land to lease to a solar farm. So now I've lost 750 acres of hunting land.

Sad really.

18. jds holler

Yeah, and what's even sadder is how many of our local county and BLM shooting areas have been reclassified as "NO SHOOTING" because of the stupidity of our "fellow sportsmen":rolleyes: who seem to think that it's just great to take a dump load of tv's, computers, washing machines etc.. and shoot it to pieces and leave it lay for the rest of us to enjoy. I am so pissed about this that I pray to God that I never catch anybody doing this. :mad:

Bc'z and misfire like this.
  19. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

heaven must look like this...

20. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

ive traded cows, equipment, chicken litter, pipe, labor, even home grown tomaters...never a p. dog hunt--Im game for that trade

joshb likes this.