The Very Best Scope For Your Money

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by onelastshot, Aug 16, 2017.

1. ImBIllT

ImBIllT Silver $$ Contributor

You specifically asked about people who say "a Weaver is all you need". Weavers have quite good glass. I would suspect that the older your eyes are, the less likely you are to be able to tell the difference between quite good glass, and the best glass. I don't doubt that the Ziess and the Schmidt are better, but the title asks what is the best scope FOR YOUR MONEY. You purchased what is likely the best scope at any price. You won't be disappointed. You might however look through a friend's Weaver Grand Slam or Sightron S-III and have to really struggle to see the difference.

For nighttime varmint hunting my 6x42 Docter is no brighter than my Japanese Weavers.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    300_whisper likes this.
  2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

So I suppose that this Bushnell Banner 6-18X that I'm trying to turn is totally out of the question??:p Don't forget that those 63 year old eyes may need a nice fat crosshair to stand out in dim light. ;) jd

3. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

I'm beginning to think you choose to misunderstand and misquote on purpose.

I specifically said "don't ask an expert or an old-timer what is the best scope?" Instead, I urged the newbie to ask "what features/qualities/specifications do want in something to accomplish the task at hand?"

In other words, learn from the expert/old-timer, don't just get a glib answer.

Then you proceeded to reinforce my exact point, go figure.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  4. msinc

msinc

Then maybe it wasn't you I was referring to. Figure THAT. No one cares what you think...hasn't that been posted a few times????

gtl1946 likes this.
  5. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

Best scope for the money?

crazy question.

raises many other questions

how many different scope manufacturers are out there? how many different models and price ranges do they have? obviously they are selling or they wouldn't be in business. today most scopes have quality glass, features you are looking for are easy to find and durability is not a problem.

first question is what are you using the scope for.

second what is your budget.

third what features are you looking for.

back in the 60's i had a .308 with a 4X redfield. hunted with that rifle all my teenage years. Killed more deer with it then any other rifle i ever owned since. still have it over 50 years. Funny thing is never once since i owned it have i ever had to adjust sight in. Always the same year after year. of course in South Georgia cypress swamps most shots are well inside 100 yrds.

These days my main hunting rifle has a luepold vx6 2-12. still keep it set on 4X until more magnification is needed.

now my bench rifles sport nightforce and even a lowly vortex golden eagle. would i like a March grand master? Sure. do i really need it. probably not.

no reason to argue about scopes. it is all in what works for you.

JRS and Rogmay like this.
  6. Rezalute

Rezalute

Impossible to answer without a budget. When identifying the best item "for your money," the discussion can't be meaningful without knowing amount of "your money."

7. BobTR

BobTR

Hello! What does it mean the very best scope for your money? I use atn x-sight II hd 5-20x and I'm sure that this is the best sight, which can be bought for $699. Everything depends on personal preferences.

8. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

If you honestly believe that a Meopta or MeoStar provide better optical performance or better glass than Schmidt and Bender, we've got nothing to discuss.

boatbum101, JRS and msinc like this.
  9. Don Fischer

Don Fischer

Love this subject. No one could ever convince me to spend more that say $250-300 for a scope. I have a couple very old Redfields still in service today, very old. Bought them both brand new about 1971. I have a couple new Redfields and love them, both 2-7x. I have two or three Nikon's and they do all I ask. I even have an old Bushnell Banner that has never failed me. Oh, one of those Nikons is a 4 1/2-14x and I don't hunt with it. Don't compete either just fool around.

300_whisper likes this.
  10. pikespeakgoat

pikespeakgoat Gold $$ Contributor

The very best scope for your money is the scope that has all the attributes you need/want for your specific situation at a price you are happy with.

Since individual eyes are quite different, glass quality often becomes a very subjective topic. Go with the tool that does the job that you need it to do.

11. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I have a pile of the old 6-18, 5-20, and 6-24 Japanese Tasco scopes I use for varmint rifles. Found most of them for $80-$125. Glass was excellent back then and still very nice today. Dont really have any of the bells and whistles found on modern optics, but as far as the glass goes, they most certainly can't be touched for the money. Even my Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 struggles to outperform the old Japanese glass.

Just ordered a Kahles K series 10-50x56 to dabble in competition

12. steve123

steve123

Which S&B 3-12 did you end up buying?

This was a entertaining read for sure with all the varied responses. It just goes to show how we all think differently about our rifle scopes and how they are used.

My comments are just for conversation going forward so I'm just shooting the bull so to speak.

For whatever reason rifle scopes are very interesting to me. Have I ever been back and forth as far as what scope to use on what rifle. The mag range, the quality levels, the price, the size and weight, the features that I prefer, the amount of over all travel, do I need illumination, or close focus and what reticle do I pick.

Cutting it short, after using most brands, I got S&B's as well for my nice rifles. It was because I could afford them and that they can be very very versatile depending on the model.

Reasons for my choice were, close focus 10M to 25Y if I wanted to put one on a 22 or PCP air rifle, illume for night matches, H59 reticle for holdovers to a mile(I hold over a lot), superior glass than most scopes, built tough and reliable, they aren't huge scopes, some even compact, fantastic turrets(some locking), zero stop with 2cnd rev indicators, huge amount of over all travel, dead nuts tracking, euro style diopter for fast focus of the reticle and matching mil turrets to go with the mil reticle.

I could only afford so many though being I'm not made of money.

So what did I discover, I hate not having a good portion of the specific combined features I like in a rifle scope, it actually got frustrating to me when I considered other brands that didn't offer them in their lines.

Many of us have inexpensive rifles that don't really require a ton of money to be spent on scopes, I know I do. Well, I found Athlon Optics Co which solved my dilemma/ shameless plug, sorry. I got the close focus I like, decent glass(really is), nice holdover reticles, reliable tracking and mil/mil FFP. For me it's awesome having these features on the cheap rifles because I use them often!!!

Well anyway I'm kinda old myself almost being in the late 50's. Remember all the old 2.5 and 4x scopes on our hunting rifles. Then the 3-9's became popular, then, then, then, look how far scopes have come!

My latest dilemma is finding a compact and lightweight 1" tube scope that is FFP mil/mil, heck I'd settle for SFP and a 3-12x36 would work but it's got to have a decent holdover reticle. As far as I know this unicorn doesn't exist - yet anyways. And this one is for small 7 lb carbine bolt rifles used for hunting out to 500Y or so.

300_whisper likes this.
  13. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

That's a loaded question. Best for the money. I went looking for a good pair of binoculars planning to spend in the 500-800.00 range. I planned on buying on advice. Decided to go to the local optics outlet and look thru all the models. To my surprise the pair I bought were much clearer and brighter in most conditions when I tested them than some twice as much money. Had no regrets since that purchase. If you can find an outlet that sells most if not all the scopes you may want to consider, go look thru them all inside the store and at longer ranges outside the store. You won't regret it.

14. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

15. 300_whisper

300_whisper Silver $$ Contributor

Nightforce BEAST boom one and done!

Best scope for your money...all of your money.

16. 307 Wyoming

307 Wyoming

There are a lot of great scopes out there. Everyone's eyes are different. I use Night force. I'm a dope and dial shooter. Night force is trusted for this style of hunting. I have friends that like the VX-6. It seems to work very well for them. A Friend of mine loaned me a Burris XTR 2. I have no complaints about that scope. I'm running it on a 243 for hunting yotes. A guy that owns a gun shop and builds guns is supposed to send me a Sig and a leica scope. He said for the money Sig is a very tough scope to beat. He also said I have to look at a leica. He said they have the best glass on the market and he is a night force person. He was very impressed with leica glass in there rifle scope. I'm sure there are other great scopes out there. These are just the scopes I'm around and see used daily. Best of luck to you. Hope this helps.

17. CamTheBam

CamTheBam

My money would go on a 30mm S&B 8x56 Hungarian. No frills, just the kind of out-and-out performance that you can only get from a fixed mag scope.

Or if I was feeling particularly flush, anything Swarovski. There's just something about their glass!

What do you think?

msinc likes this.
  18. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

Anything Kahles. I've owned about 9 of their hunting scopes and just bought 2 of the K1050's and there is a reason in Europe why they are considered the Rolls Royce of scopes. The optics are that good.

msinc likes this.
  19. boatbum101

boatbum101

I too am older & a diabetic so my eyes aren't as good as they once were . I only have 1 Leupold left a VX3 2.5X10X50 Heavy Duplex & when it goes out I'll replace it with another Euro scope . Currently have 2 Kahles , 2 Swarovski & 4 Zeiss on my other rifles . More than what's needed...........probably . Fact is I'm not hampered in my ability to take a shot regardless of light / weather conditions . Vast majority are 3X9's or 3.5X10's with 1 fixed 6X & 1 fixed 10X ( Anschutz 22 ) . Here in America one can only hunt during the day for majority of our prey . Other places night hunting is common . Lens & coating quality makes a huge difference in those circumstances . That's what costs . It's also true that one can get 90 - 95% of that capability for half as much if one shops carefully . Can't say about tactical / target scopes as I'm a hunter . FWIW Sightron lenses are made in the same plant as Nightforce in Japan .

20. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Depending upon the scope model, and the availability of lens quality in quantity, Nightforce sources the lenses from Europe, Japan, and China. During the early stages, though Nightforce scopes were made in Japan, the glass was sourced from Schott in Germany.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018 at 1:45 PM
    dkhunt14 and Turbulent Turtle like this.