The Very Best Scope For Your Money

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by onelastshot, Aug 16, 2017.

1. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

This week I made the decision to purchase a new scope foe my Ruger No.1 in 7x57, and once again was faced with the never ending question, what is the best scope for my money? Over the years I've purchased everything from Vortexes to Schmidt & Bender scopes. What I've noticed is as I get older, the quality of glass becomes more and more important.

I've never understood spending $800-$1,200 on a rifle only to top it off with an entry level scope. The light gathering quality of the more expensive brands can be critical during the last five minutes of the day, it can mean the difference between properly identifying a trophy buck or seeing just a dark object. Some people believe that a $250 Weaver is all you need while others believe that you should spend as much for a scope, if not more, as you do a rifle.

What makes sense, is a $2,000 Night Force scope a remarkable tool that provides the absolute best in vision and clarity or is it a rich man's toy? Is a Weaver all the scope anyone really needs? How much is enough?

Eternal Student likes this.
  2. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

More expensive, better glass, ive shot more deer last 5 min of light than I have during day light. Im all for a better scope.

Lower end scopes... well my older uncles, have a fit every year because their scopes wont hold a zero, and they gotta go do the pre deer season sight in every year without fail.. buy once, wince/cry once, and get it over with, imo..

MN50Shooter, nakneker and boltfluter like this.
  3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

The Ruger #1 is a pretty lean machine. I would look at a high end scope that runs on the lighter in weight end of the spectrum with maybe with a 44mm objective so the gun doesn't feel like it wants to flop to one side or the other from a heavy scope in high rings. I like my Kahles 624 but it sits on a 300wsm in a sniper fill McM. stock.....Not a very lean machine....;)...........Best of luck.

Best Regards
    Rick

4. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

If you can't trust your scope you have nothing. In the last couple of years I have upgraded all my optics and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner..

jmatters and msinc like this.
  5. onelastshot

The key issue with my initial scope was power, it was a 1.5x6-42, just not enough power for me so I doubled it.

6. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

I would look at leupold vx 6 they have the best glass for the money . Larry

Zero333 and JBT like this.
  7. mikeinct

mikeinct

That front lens size...the 50mm min. no matter the power settings you chose..The smaller 40 42 44 mm sizes ...I struggle with in low light conditions..Be it Burris or Leupold...My Leupold V3 3 x 10 is nice but it is not the end all in hunting scopes..When I was younger I had a top of the line Lyman 3x9 a big front lens ..I should have never sold it with that Ruger m77 257Roberts..Go with the largest front lens you can find in power features you chose..I wear glasses & I'm getting older..I hate to struggle seeing the target...Mike in Ct

8. johara1

johara1

For the money the 6 x 42 Leupold is as good as you need. w
    With the Ruger no1 and 7x57 it would be all you need....... Jim

painter, a1712 and boltfluter like this.
  9. onelastshot

6 Power is not enough, that's exactly why I'm changing scopes is because I've got a 6 power scope.

10. slm9s

slm9s Gold $$ Contributor

I'm going to be selling a Swaro Z5 3.5-18. 15.9 ounces of optical bliss. :)

11. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

How much are you willing to spend on glass for this rifle?

12. C.E.Smith043

C.E.Smith043 Gold $$ Contributor

Imo, u cant beat a 3.5-10x40 leupold VX3i for the money. If that "last 5 mins of light" bothers u, get a thermal scope

IdahoSharpshooter and painter like this.
  13. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Buy the best glass you can afford the vx6 is the best glass my old eyes has look through Larry

Outrider27 likes this.
  14. johara1

johara1

I guess I've shot deer well over 600 yards with a fixed 6 x 42 power scope with out any problem. Now the only reason you need a high powered scope is to look for small horns. I can see into the woods better at prime time with the 6 power where you can't with the higher power variables. More lenses the less light, impact shift with a variable as you turn it up and eye relief change also........ Jim

a1712 likes this.
  15. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

Imo the best all around hunting scope is a Leupold VariX 111, 2.5-8. I have four of them. I have killed critters in low light to almost no light conditions (snow) with them. The VariX2, 2-7 or 3-9 is my second choice. Barlow

Rem06, IdahoSharpshooter and painter like this.
  16. Larryh128

Larryh128

Look at the new Leica line of scopes, you won't be disappointed. As to the Weavers, their high end stuff is very nice with good glass but they certainly aren't $250 scopes. There are a lot of really good scopes but a overly huge scope on a hunting rifle in my opinion is just in the way. I use 30mm tubes but I stick to stuff that is around 1#-1 1/4# in weight. As I said, look at the new Leicas, amazing glass.

msinc and nakneker like this.
  17. s100whunter

s100whunter Gold $$ Contributor

Get the VX 6 2X12 power best hunting scope made

18. Larryh128

Larryh128

Just to give you an idea, one of my hunting buds took a Zeiss Daivari off his main rifle and replaced it with the Leica. The Leica costs about 1/2 of the Zeiss.

19. onelastshot

That is my million dollar question to everyone who's responding, what would you personally buy and why?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  20. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Personally for the rifle in question I would purchase a Swarovski Z6 2.5x15x56. Excellent glass and low light capabilities. Fairly light weight.

Dub and dkhunt14 like this.