The Ugly Duckling

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by kolar55, Aug 23, 2017.

1. kolar55

kolar55 Silver $$ Contributor

This sure isn't the prettiest rifle I've owned but it looks like it will be a prize. Built on a Savage 10 Predator my vision is to double or maybe even triple as a deer, coyote, and, maybe paper puncher. It started life as a .243 and I had Lee Gardner rebarrel it to 6XC. Brux barrels contoured this to match the factory contour in a 9 twist 4 groove .236 and Lee shouldered it up instead of using the nut. The recoil lug was replaced with a Northland Shooters Supply version. Minor stock relieving was needed to get it to slip in. It bolted up pretty nice so I decided to not bed it. Savage used aluminum pillars so I Thought what the hell, lets try it the way it is. The fireform load was decided upon by using Quickload. It is pretty stout but fills the brass out nicely. I used 45.0 IMR4007(because I had a lot of it with no place to use it) behind some 67gn flat base bullets custom made by Jim McGowin, jammed .020 with about .003 neck tension using Norma brass and Fed 210 primers. Average velocity for the nine shots is 3680. 95gn Nosler BT's will be used for a deer load, probably with WW 760 or IMR 4350. Time will tell. The first shot was fired off the deck to check the load. The target shown is the next 9 shots including a scope adjustment, cleaning after the third shot. OD of the circle is 20mm. Not bad for a sporter style stock using my cheapo Caldwell front rest and no flags. Very satisfied so far. A big thank you to Lee and Brux barrels.
    Lonnie
    P.S. If you're wondering about the scope adjustment, heres the deal. I bore sighted it in the basement on my 50' range. Took it outside to the 100yd range and fired the first two shots holding on center of the target paper. It looked like I needed to move about 2" left and made the correction. The next shot I used the circle for the aiming point and the following 7 shots went right where they should. Must have been my lucky day so I went and bought a Powerball ticket too. We'll find out what happens with that tonight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    JLT likes this.
  2. 370bc

370bc

Nice. What length is the barrel??

3. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

I don't see what's so ugly about it. Looks pretty nice to me.

4. kolar55

kolar55 Silver $$ Contributor

Barrel is 24". Waiting for my Whidden sizer die so I can get some loads developed. I fired a few groups with WW760 but some of the brass was a little snug so I stopped wasting components until I can properly size the brass. It looks like it will be a shooter. That Brux barrel does not collect copper at all. As far as the "ugly" goes I guess I'm just not used to the camo on a rfile. That stuff chips off pretty easy.

5. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

All accurate rifles are beautiful . . . .

bloc and pacificman like this.