The Right Action

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by onelastshot, Dec 23, 2018.

1. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Looking to put together a 6x47 for hunting. I can't decide which bolt action to go with. If you had your choice of actions for a deer rifle which bolt action would you chose? I've already picked out the barrel, now I need an action to match with it.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

What's your budget?

Rick

3. onelastshot

This is my Christmas present to myself so the budget is going to be pretty open. If I like it I'm going to buy it.

Milo 2.0 and jimmymac like this.
  4. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

Then you are wide open. My choice would probably be a BAT B R/R. Doesn't get any better than that.
    Rick

5. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

My choice might be kinda weird in this crowd, but for a hunting rifle, nothing fits me better and operates slicker than the old Ruger tang safety M77's.

I love the profile of the trigger guard, the integral scope mounts, the slick two position safety, -- they are just flat out a light and handy hunting rifle. jd

brians356 and Boyd L. like this.
  6. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

A Borden Alpine would be my first choice, with a Jewel trigger installed and timed by Jim at the same time. :D:D

Paul

muleystalker, swd, jamesh and 6 others like this.
  7. Dan Hall

Dan Hall Silver $$ Contributor

Legendary Arms is making a really slick hunting rifle these days and a custom barrel chambered for your favorite cartridge would really put the frosting on that cake. 1/4” or better controlled feed multi purpose rifle. A great Christmas present to your self. But if you have the money boltfluter’s idea would be my first choice. Everyone should own a Borden built rifle at some point in their life. I know I love mine.

8. geraldgee

geraldgee Gold $$ Contributor

Deviant Hunter. I have a cpl of the Defiance actions and recommend them without reservation. I also recommend Kelbly and Stiller actions as well. Having said that, I will buy a Borden for my next build.

Gerald

9. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

If your already wanting one made up, I noticed Bullet Central has quite a few medium.308 bolt face action’s. Like Defiance Deviant, Bat VR, and several others.
    Edit: Not sure of the firing pin size on them.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

VZ-24 or 1909 Argentine Mauser 98. Nothing, with the exception of a nice Pre-64 Model 70, beats a sporterized 98 cradled in a gorgeous Walnut stock.
    DST's would be the icing on the cake.

260AI and Don like this.
  11. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

My primary coyote calling rifle is based on a Kelbly Atlas Tactical. Pros: excellent dimensional tolerances, melonited for resistance to galling, TG mechanical ejector that doesn't put pressure on the case head in battery (makes setting up dies or checking bullet touch point a breeze), 0.062" firing pin standard, AW magazine cut standard, extra bolt clearance to deal with field conditions, trigger hanger, fabulous company to deal with, $925 (a bargain, if you ask me). Cons: hideous bolt knob, non-integral (but double-pinned) recoil lug.

Atlas coyote rifle L pre-paint.JPG Atlas coyote rifle L.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    OmegaRed, MTSLW, brians356 and 2 others like this.
  12. Steelnecktie

Steelnecktie

A13E45A0-C616-4E61-BDF0-0D497B8EFC9B.jpeg Here is another Kelbly’s, this one is a Black Bear Tactical 6.5x47

boltfluter likes this.
  13. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Did it turn speckled with age? That's happening to me, too.
    -

370bc and jimmymac like this.
  14. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

I've got a 1978 Model 77ST (round top, tang safety, iron sights) in 270 Win with an action as slick as a Mexican barber's hair. I find the tang safety, like that on my Browning Citori, the most subconsciously easy to use in the field.
    -

15. Toby Bradshaw

I'd be thrilled if my age spots were camo so I could ditch my face mask and gloves! Those coyotes have a keen eye, and I can't afford to cut them any slack.

Atlas tactical coyote rifle in situ.JPG

coyote kill 40 with Atlas.JPG

16. Drop Port

Drop Port

You can't go wrong with any of the high end, I was in the same boat and was considering, BAT, Borden and Kelbly and went with a BAT HR which is Melonite treated.

holstil likes this.
  17. onelastshot

I'm impressed with what Borden offers, I'm tempted to let them just build the rifle instead of piecing it out.

muleystalker and McGraw like this.
  18. Toby Bradshaw

I shot my first competition group in the zeros with a Panda/Hart LV 6PPC smithed by Jim. Impossible to go wrong having him build your hunting rifle.

Borden LV 100yd.JPG

boltfluter, jmackey, Evan and 4 others like this.
  19. jobie

jobie Silver $$ Contributor

Whichever one you pick the .062 firing pin is a must with the small primer and high pressure loads. I learned from experience

Attached Files:

muleystalker, swd and boltfluter like this.
  20. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

100% Correct ..
    My .270 1938 Mauser Banner Action Custom Bolt Handle 24" barrel .
    Fagin Fiddle Back Walnut Hand Checkered ( In the day I paid for that Stock Blank What you can buy a rifle for today )

98 Actions a timeless Master Piece …..
    2nd Model 70 Pre War and 64

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.