The random quality of H4895

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Curious, Jul 5, 2018.

1. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

Where there’s a will... there’s a way! No comment on need:rolleyes:

2. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

You should start weighing your primer dude. No need to even tune the loads any more. Just zing zing zing... One hole. go home.

3. dedeadeye

dedeadeye Gold $$ Contributor

I have found by using the same VOLUME from lot# to lot# helps a great deal and a good place to START. For example, my old Culvers set at 57.5 for RL15 at 32.1 grains. Any subsequent lot I would begin at the 57.5 setting and load same primer, bullet and seating depth. Strap on my magneto speed, walk to my wood chip pile and fire. While the weights can change the volumes many times are the answer. Try it sometime.
    Roger

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Terry, seymour fish and expiper like this.
  4. XTR

XTR

It isn't just H4895. Three yrs ago I had a really good load with H4350 shooting 215s in my 308. Ran out of powder, new lot is 75FPS slower than the old lot, and there isn't enough room in the case to make velocity with the new lot. Now I've got about 20lbs of it and nothing that I shoot it in.

5. Redrover

Redrover

I'm sure Australians would appreciate being described as a third-world country!!!!

blowemup, RDavies, 7.62X51 and 2 others like this.
  6. K22

K22

My experience with H4895 has been all positive, so much so that I've been using for the past several years exclusively in all my 223's (8 bolt rifles). When the lot number changes I do a quick sand bag bench test in my most precise rifle. I haven't experienced the wide variations (at least in group size) claimed by other posters. Perhaps my standards are not as stringent but I've been totally satisfied with H4895 as a powder for precise varmint hunting.

I also use it my 308 with 125 grain bullets and at least one of my 243's groups under 1/2 inch with it using Sierra 85 BTHPs.

mikeinct likes this.
  7. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Quick question for those of you who have worked through good and bad lots of H4895:
    Are you seeing the difference on short range groupings, or is the difference simply in the ES's?

(I'm working on a solid short range tune before I hike out to the long distance ranges)

Right now I'm struggling to get a good tune on my 6BRA at 100/200 and I've tried two lots of H4895, 205/BR4/450 primers, and 105 Hybrid/Hunter 106's. I'm led to believe it's the H4895.

I have some XBR 8208 on hand, or I could throw my money into the Varget lottery assuming I can find some.

8. urbanrifleman

Try AR Comp. At least once. I have no idea why this powder is not on the list.

dgeesaman likes this.
  9. farmerjohn

farmerjohn Gold $$ Contributor

Try your 8208, start with 29 grains and ease up to 2950fps farmer

dgeesaman and Mulligan like this.
  10. Meangreen

Meangreen

Powder acclimates to your area. I live in the Pacific Northwest 2 hours north of Seattle.

I had an old jug of Varget that I had worked up a load with. I had it for well over a year before I started loading from it. So, since I like to stay at least one jug ahead of my self, I got another.

Out of random curiosity, I loaded some cartridges with the new jug. The new lot was noticeably faster than my old lot. No problem, I'll rework my load when I get there right?

Well, by the time I got to that jug another year later, it was as slow as the first. I didn't have to rework my load at all.

I have heard much anecdotal evidence from shooters concerning the opposite effect. When I lived in the Arizona desert I heard about powders speeding up as they dry out and acclimate to the low humidity.

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you guys are experiencing, but it was an eye opener for me. If you have a "bad" lot of powder maybe give it 6 months or so before you toss it.

11. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...nges-in-humidity-can-alter-powder-burn-rates/

Humidity is part of the equation.
    CW

holstil likes this.
  12. dgeesaman

I understand the humidity variable. I trust that if a lot of H4895 that doesn’t shoot well was a simple matter of the container taking on or losing moisture content, the conversation would be all about humidity control. In any case my jug is stored tightly closed in a climate controlled room and i haven’t managed anything resembling a tune in the two months I’ve been shooting it.
    I’ll be loading up some 8208 XBR this morning and if the weather continues to rain, make a trip to the well stocked shop for AR Comp or Reloder or something else.

Mulligan likes this.
  13. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

Spent the first half of this year struggling to get a tune on a few different rifles with a new lot of H4895. Switched to Varget and groups got smaller. Tested a new lot of H4895 (ends in 7138) and it looks promising.

Good shooting

Rich

14. dgeesaman

The powder ladder with 8208 XBR ran groups half the size of the H4895. Very promising.

15. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

I use H4895 for many of my rifles ,when I can't shoot for crap I never blame the powder...my heart never lies to me,I know when I suck .

16. dgeesaman

This morning I fired two sets of loads: a powder range of XBR 8208 / Berger Hybrid 105's and a fine seating depth range of H4895 / Roy Hunter 106's. The fine seating depth target should have been the more refined target because I had already done a powder charge ladder first, but the 8208 behind Hybrids were better this morning.

I think it's essential to always look at the nut behind the wheel, but I've been regularly shooting other rifles as well. My Sako varmint 6PPC has consistently gone under 3/8" groups at 100y and even my 17HMR Sako can shoot tighter than many of the H4895 groups with the 6BRA. Anyways, I'm off to the powder races for now. Not sure what I'll do with that extra 7 lb of H4895.

17. urbanrifleman

Cook it. It's easy. 135 degrees for two hours

18. biggun2869

biggun2869 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm w/Don, don't understand why you'all refuse IMR 4064. It doesn't meter well maybe that's it.

Evan and dogdude like this.
  19. foxguy

foxguy Gold $$ Contributor

What size group would you expect to shoot with a 6BRA using 105gr class bullets @ 300 yds.
    1/4 MOA ??

I ask because I'm testing my 6MM BRA at 300 yds. its the longest yardage I can shoot.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  20. dgeesaman

What, like to dry out the H4895 powder?