The random quality of H4895

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Curious, Jul 5, 2018.

1. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot H4895 all the time .I sometimes have "Bad eye days" and can't shoot for crap ,now I have another excuse for those days .

AckleymanII, Delfuego and Stan Taylor like this.
  2. johara1

johara1

I saw lots of VV133 that are only good for fire forming, and others that shot the lights out. I really don't think it is any better or worse than any one else. I will say I think is one of the hardest to stay in tune with..... jim

WyleWD likes this.
  3. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

The more I learn the more I learn how dumb I am.

Picking up my new chambered and installed BRA barrel tomorrow. Trashed the old/new one because I just could not get it to shoot with H4895 and any bullet. Varget had some promise but after I did near 1,000 rods in frustration.

Education is learning how much you don't know.

mikeinct, dedeadeye and TZaun like this.
  4. TZaun

TZaun Gold $$ Contributor

Boy is that true. I look back now and wish I had done a whole ton of stuff different. This site and the information that is given so generously by the guys that have "been there, done that" is so invaluable. Thanks to everyone. I donate $100/year to the site and, at times, I feel like a tight-ass.

CaptainMal and Link like this.
  5. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I am still learning every day too. Im thankful, because as soon as you stop learning it will get boring, then I'll have to find a new hobby.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

Isn’t this shit hard enough without having to deal with lot to lot variation in powders?

mikeinct, Idaho-Lefty and Alexander-M like this.
  7. rwj

rwj Silver $$ Contributor

Yup... but everyone could do it if it were easy... being difficult is part of what makes it interesting!

mikeinct and Idaho-Lefty like this.
  8. Alex Wheeler

Dont ever start tuning with components that you do not have enough of to wear out the barrel with.

9. Si-Snipe

Si-Snipe

In theory that’s the best way to achieve consistency but the hard part can be testing the individual components to test the accuracy/quality before buying from that same LOT.

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  10. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Alex that bad lot of H4831 you got if any of the boys from east coast comes to the nationals send back here by them to me.LOL

11. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

I may have seen the variance in H 4895 in person today. After 104 rounds on my new BRA barrel, I cleaned it well with Iosso. After cleaning with Iosso, I like to shoot several loads before I trust the barrel in competition. I had some loads ready for fire forming and I shot 7 of those and then decided to shoot a few loaded with 2 lots of H4895 and Bart's 105 gr. VLD. I loaded both with 30.6 gr, and the bullets seated about.008 into the lands. The older lot of H 4895 registered 2918 average for three rounds, but the rounds from the new jug that I just opened averaged 3011 fps !!! This was shot in 95 degree / high humidity LA weather. This was measured on an Oehler 35 set at 10 feet in front of the muzzle. I expected some variation but not this much. I guess for the upcoming match I will shoot a reduced load of the new lot or perhaps use Varget. Puzzled in LA !!!!!!! Good shooting.... James

Mulligan and dmoran like this.
  12. johara1

johara1

James, I have a new lot of H4895 that is hard to hit 2900 without pressure. The next new lot was easy to hit 2977 with 31.0 gr and 2997 with 31.1 gr. and well over 3015 with 32.2 gr. and no pressure or hard bolt lift. The H 4895 seems to vary as much as Varget now... jim

dmoran likes this.
  13. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

I have written an e-mail to Hodgdon about this variation from lot to lot but have not received any response yet. It may not be a big deal to some folks who are better suited financially to buy other powders, but having just bought an eight pound jug of powder with shipping and hazmat puts a large hole in my shooting budget. I only have 1/2 pound of the older lot of H4895 left, and I guess I will have to waste bullets trying to make the new lot shoot. It seems to me that a company as large as Hodgdon should be able to get their suppliers to do better than ~100 fps variation from one lot to another. My old lot was from 2017(velocity 2918) and the new one is from 2018 (velocity 3011). Both were Australian powder and I hope that the powers at Hodgdon will address this situation. Good shooting...James

Mulligan likes this.
  14. johara1

johara1

Do you want to bet on it..... lol....I buy 1 lb. at a time on the different lots and if they work I go back and get a bunch.... jim

15. Alex Wheeler

I called and tried to get them to care when I used to fight with Varget issues. We are .001% of their sales.

hpshooter, WyleWD and simo hayha like this.
  16. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Gold $$ Contributor

Buy a 55 gallon drum. Then you won't have the lot to lot variation, or switch to VV powder :)

Idaho-Lefty and Rick300 like this.
  17. Alex Wheeler

VV is not the answer. Was just talking with a top sr shooter about large 133 variations.... Its just part of shooting.

Mulligan likes this.
  18. urbanrifleman

The discussion of the "magic batch of powder" is as old as precision shooting.

I would bet that VV has the best track record as far as consistency over time as any company in the industry.

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  19. dskogman

dskogman Gold $$ Contributor

This graph show multiple combinations of bullets and powder lots. All H4350, 180 Berger Hybrids in a 284. It will drive you crazy...
    H4350.JPG

dmoran, Boatschool02 and Nature Boy like this.
  20. urbanrifleman

That could simply be the air density changing the velocity. Not the powder or bullets.