The Perfect Deer Rifle

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by onelastshot, Apr 16, 2017.

1. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

For quite a few years my deer "rifle" was a 357 herrett Contender 14 inch, 2x Leupold, 180 Grain SSP and a healthy dose of IMR4227 because NY did not allow rifles for deer hunting...but allowed pistols over 35 cal....I guess they thought most of us were going to take a Colt 38 into the woods...but we overcame that stupid law with 35 caliber "pistols" like the XP and the TC. I dumped 19 with that Herrett and only one required follow-up...a deer I shot left-handed, running, and hit the liver. He made it into town, and the TC came in handy as I shot him in a backyard (permission obtained) and no one saw the gun till i plopped down and whacked him. Exciting times....

Now I hunt them with a 7mm Mag, if I hunt them at all.

2. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Oh i know that! I was talking antler mass! Hes heavy horned. Deer in texas would be licky to break 180 to 200lbs body weight. We shoot tons of does that dress out at 65lbs-72lbs. Aint much to them. More meat on a great dane!

3. savagedasher

savagedasher

That about the the average size in Florida . But our bucks don't have the horns like Texas . I got one that weight 192 lb 12 point scored 123 . That a cull in your area .
    Larry

Sniper338 likes this.
  4. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

Sentimental rifles are the ones I enjoy the most. Some rifles have been with me a long time, not nearly as fancy as others in the safe but they represent memories, great shots, deer camps from my youth. I use to show cattle when I was a kid, won Grand Champion three times at the County fair. All that hard work and effort went into rifles. I ended up buying a .243 ADL, then the next year I bought a 700 classic .270. Our little gunshop didn't have much of a selection and the people in my little town didn't have a lot of money, I thought that .270 was as nice a rifle a guy could buy. It's been with me ever since, it's been on pack trips, four wheelers, Strapped to a super cub wing in Alaska, rode many miles in many different trucks, my Grandpa used to shoot the last big game animal he harvested before he passed. Is it the perfect deer rifle by today's standard, probably not, but when I take it out hunting and I still do, it is perfect in many ways. I have seven kids who have all corned me at one time or another trying to get out my hands. Not yet kiddos..... I still have few good years left, not yet.

5. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Our plump & lovely, cornfed central newyawk whitetail does can get upwards of 145 lbs dressed weight, and bucks 160-200, dressed. Good sized animals, but they're still just deer :) I have no qualms grabbing my 6x45AI peashooter for <200yd opportunites while "woods" hunting. For open field shooting, would opt to grab the 6.5SAUM 4s, though...

I think for many, its more about using the right tool for the job at hand, than finding the "perfect" tool for every one. If I had to choose between the two I mentioned, 6.5SAUM can do in a whitetail from the muzzle, to as far as you'd care to shoot one. But to whack a deer thru the hardwoods @ ~100yds with the 6.5 SAUM, is waaaay overkill. The peashooter has much better "woods" manners, and has no problem making two holes in a deer...

Drop Port and MrMajestic like this.
  6. snert

ya, POP, flop...:)

MrMajestic likes this.
  7. msinc

msinc

Everything is big in Texas...reminds me of the guy that kept telling that to the barmaid. Later when they finally "got together" she said, "well, I thought you said everything was big from Texas???" He replied, "it is...by the way, what part of Texas are you from????"

varmintshooter and 284winner like this.
  8. Barlow

Barlow

I have my Grandpa's favorite deer (and other stuff) rifle in my safe. It's a model 81 Remington, 300 Savage. This rifle has killed a lot of deer and a lot of bear. Barlow

9. K22

K22

Yea I think you're right. He uses an old lever action with a detactable box magazine so that Spitzer bullets can be used. I know for sure it's a 308.

10. snert

The 99 had a rotary magazine. The Winchester 88 had a detachable box and was way sexier.

MrMajestic likes this.
  11. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Got one that my Son chose when he became of age! Deer killin' machine and many Chucks with the Speer 130 grain HP's. Used to amaze family and friends with those doorknobs! Whole new meaning to "flying ashtrays"! Calm winds and dial up....

12. K22

K22

My Uncle used a 300 Savage in a lever action with a 2 1/2 X Redfield scope and was quite successful hunting white tail and black bear in the big woods of central PA.

13. snert

a 99 or an 88? i have 2 88's (well I did before I traded them for fly rods, ya know) in 308 Both early production...first and second year and both is great shape. Terrible triggers but fun to shoot. True open sight rifle. feels like a shotgun

14. snert

Did I mention that in the 70's, the only bullet worth shooting was at least 180 grains and round nosed, cause deer back then were damn tough and it took a howitzer to knock em off their feet. That 88 kicked like the stick of Satan. I have since learned that deer are more progressive now...they eat flowers and die when shot with little 130 grain pills. And the 88 does not kick like it did, being sissy-fied since then I am grateful. ;)

MrMajestic and msinc like this.
  15. rebel

rebel Silver $$ Contributor

Every deer, no matter the size, no matter the state, can be be laid in the dust with a 22 Mag to the brain housing group at 100 yards and under. Anything above that that you have confidence in is "perfect".

16. TC260

TC260

Nice to see a few handgun hunters in here. In the public land swamps where I hunt a handgun works pretty darned well. The ability to carry holstered and hands free works so nice for the different ways I like to hunt. Mostly 10"-12" Contenders are my favorite, in particular the 357 Herrett.

For rifles, like the OP, one of my favorites is also a Ruger #1 light sporter in 7x57.

snert likes this.
  17. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry, an 88. 1957 vintage.

18. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Cull buck my rear end, that's a shooter anywhere in my book. Please post up pics of those South Texas giants. Now I will admit that I have never whitetail hunted South Texas and will admit if I am wrong. :rolleyes:

19. snert

Mine two...till I took up fly fishing...:rolleyes:

TC260 likes this.
  20. mmcu

mmcu

timeout,

Here's a representative deer from South Texas.

Jason's Buck I 112912 23.8675 wide 183.375 B&C.jpg

MrMajestic likes this.