The most under-rated centerfire cartridge......???

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by M14AMU, Sep 2, 2015.

1. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

Re: The most under-rated centerfire cartride......???

222 Remington....

Accurate, mild, shoots 40 and 50 grain bullets fast enough and yet is overlooked because of the dastardly poodle shooting 223 upstart! ;D

Love the Duece, and no one else seems to even remember it, much less buy one. Great brass from Lapu too!

2. Onebad06VTX

Onebad06VTX

Quote: Shoots 16 miles and can drop a T rex with one shot !
    I thought that was the 17HMR

3. djporter

djporter Silver $$ Contributor

6mm Rem.

4. NickB1075

NickB1075

My vote is for the quarter bore family. Personally picking the 25-06.

No one has added a handgun cartridge but my vote for that is the 41 mag.

Both very good cartridges and just don't get the play they deserve. Just my opinion.

Nick

5. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

O.K! Now we're getting somewhere....

22BRGUY likes this.
  6. Con

Con

True, but it's shorter cousin the 308Win is under-rated because of the 30/06s supposed grandeur.
    ;)

A few acquaintances have started loading the 7.62x39 to its potential in the CZ carbine, and whether pig, goat, small or large deer, it's performance with properly constructed sporting projectiles is a surprise packet.
    Cheers...
    Con

7. dedogs

Con, Cheers! You ever heard of or seen an M1-A American Service Rifle? I don't think our government considers the .308 to be under-rated. And there are thousands of civilians in this country who hunt with various .308 bolt action rifles. So I don't think we here consider this to be an under-rated cartridge. I'm glad your mates are realizing the potential of this cartridge-- very efficient and inherently accurate-- but not under-rated here.

Perhaps we can get RMulhern to set some guidelines and define what he considers under-rated. dedogs

8. bloc

bloc

.22 LR. Hands down.

In the hands of a good hunter who is also an excellent rifleman, it can take almost any game in the lower 48. It is also phenomenally accurate and cheap, and a killer for many animals out to 100 yards if you can hit your mark.

If I could only have one rifle, like if TSHTF, I'd take my CZ452 over any of my many other rifles.

9. Pappy42

Pappy42 Gold $$ Contributor

The .257 Roberts AI.

10. fredhorace77

fredhorace77

250 savage.

11. slm9s

slm9s Gold $$ Contributor

280, BETTER than the 30-06! 8)

12. ARW

ARW Silver $$ Contributor

I believe it is the 220 Swift, it was and still is one heck of a cartridge in my opinion. It had a tough time for a while back in the day as some so called rifle experts and writers labeled it a barrel burner.

Alan

13. M14AMU

M14AMU

Of ALL CARTRIDGES.....I would never agree that the Old War Horse is under-rated and never intended for it to be broached in any replies to my posting so possibly I should have clarified my posting better! The Old War Horse is MY FAVORITE! ;D

14. dedogs

RMulhern, No problem--My rant wasn't directed at you, it was directed at any one who thinks the 30-06 is under rated.

My interpretation of your question was "What is the most under rated center fire cartridge" of which you gave a good example. The 22/250 languished for years as a "wildcat" cartridge before any factory legitimized it. I don't really feel that this cartridge is under rated any more since there are so many people using it for it's intended purpose as a fast, flat shooting varmint killer. There was a time when it was a popular bench-rest cartridge although I think the .22 PPC and 22BR are more popular now.

I think that what you are looking for is a cartridge that has not received a lot of recognition because... (please fill in the blank so we can discuss what you are looking for). dedogs

15. XTR

XTR Gold $$ Contributor

I had to noodle on the idea of "under-rated" for a while. If the original question was "under rated by the average hunter" then in the age of magnum everything the 30-30 is probably the answer. (my brother is a huge fan, and I can't begin to total the venison he's taken with a lever gun in GA over the last 30 yrs)

I don't think the -06 is under rated by the people who frequent boards like this (though the "long range deer sniper" crowd would probably turn their noses up at it) but a lot of the average hunters out there would tell you it's just not as good as a "whaterver magnum" because, well, it's not a magnum. I have a hunting buddy who made an off hand comment that he'd never own an -06, he shoots white tails with a 300WSM.

Maybe "isn't popular for no apparent reason due to it's outstanding performance capability?" is a better question? In the US that's pretty much lots of chamberings with a dimension in "mm" in the name.

What is the most over rated cartridge? would be a good question, and to me that's pretty much anything that won't fit in a short action and/or has "magnum" in the name.

Personally I think the 7mm-08 should be far more popular than it is in most circles. I have never seen anyone write about switching away from one once they started using it for a hunting rifle. I think it's about the perfect chambering for anything bigger than rabbits and smaller than elk.

I just realized this thread is in the "Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s" forum. Not sure we are on the right track here if the question was under rated 22, 20 or 17.

16. M14AMU

M14AMU

"I think that what you are looking for is a cartridge that has not received a lot of recognition because..." MOST factory rifles in 22/250 caliber come with twist rates designed specifically for the lighter weight bullets but these 'pay off' very fast at the extended longer ranges on the backside of 500 yards whereas with the 80-90 gr. bullets and the correct twist rate....these perform very well for me all the way to 800 yards. For varmits the light weight bullets are 'deadly' that's for certain!

17. JarheadAZ

JarheadAZ

My choices are 7.62x39, and .280 Rem.

IMHO. the issue with the x39 is the rifles that are chambered for it. Designed to shoot military loadings in a sorta-military context, the cartridge's full accuracy potential seldom breaks through.

However, I have a Savage 10FCM Scout in the chambering with a .308 bore. Developed handloads in this little gem with HDY 110 V-Max, and Nosler 125 BT are pretty danged accurate, and hold some potential for smaller and medium sized game. Within 100-150yd, I'd try the 125 Nosler load on deer.

I honestly think the .280 can take on the .30-'06 and come out ahead. Faster, flatter, and further. Hornady Superformance 139 SST factory loads are deer-downers, and I think a Nosler 175gr Partition handload is strong medicine for well beyond 1000yd.

Greg

18. moorepower

moorepower

Center Fire

22 Hornet. I used to wonder why any one would want something so slow. Now I wonder why it took 25 years to figure out why I needed one, or three to be exact. .30-06 underrated?????

19. savagedasher

savagedasher

I ask a friend who is guide in Alaska and Africa He hunt all over the world also. He said 22 Hornet. He says he seen every African Game that was killed with22 Hornet. And Ever bush native has one. Alaska is no different. Larry

20. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe SSOY 2004 Gold $$ Contributor

Just my $.02 worth, but did anybody mention the 20VarTarg or the 40 degree version, 20SCC or 20-221 Fireball AI. These tiny cartridges perform way beyond what anybody would expect in the PD fields.