The Mighty 22-250

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by rebel, May 26, 2019.

1. ckaberna

ckaberna Gold $$ Contributor

Deers? LoL where u from?

2. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Boomshakalaka:)
    Quick patrol tonight netted this young one.
    [​IMG]

JLT and long40shot like this.
  3. fyrewall

fyrewall

From a struggling immigrant family originating from a far off land and determined to enjoy the fruits (do real good) of the American experience. I suffer from an occasional cultural hiatus now and then, especially when involved in reminiscence of critical and exciting events like shooting deers:eek:. Would the smack of a .224 62 Speer Gold Dot kill deers better than deeper trauma inflicted by a .224 62 grain Barnes Tipped 3X shock bullet at the same velocity?

4. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

"ten dollars sez he picks his nose"...Caddyshack.

Another fine Bill Murray film.

Nice shot Reb

JLT and mikeinct like this.
  5. long40shot

long40shot Gold $$ Contributor

mikeinct and Mark W like this.
  6. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

I own a 22-250 and a 22-250AI. Awesome predator and chuck round. That said, I don’t have the necessary barrel replacement funds to use a 22-250 on colony rodents.

fyrewall likes this.
  7. Bojo

Bojo

Do they always sleep outside of thier dens belly up like that ?????:rolleyes:

blackwidowp61 likes this.
  8. rebel

"I got twenty sez he eats it."

mikeinct likes this.
  9. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Once them kids graduate, you can fill that gun safe back up !

10. snert

Or build the car that has been in storage waiting since 1985

Shoebox and mikeinct like this.
  11. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Haha...ya that's just about as enjoyable. I sold a 1971 R/T Challenger back in 1995 a year or so after my son was born. It was a young man's dream car I purchased in 1978. Had the infamous 426 hemi w/cross ram manifold (twin 4x4 carbs) and looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Purchased it from my uncle. Figured time to sell it with a family starting. Could use the money and didn't need the extra maintenance. We'll, it's a move I regret to this day. Can't Imagine it's value today but as important, my son would have drove it on graduation day and it would be a great summer toy. At least I have the memories.

mikeinct and LarryDScott like this.
  12. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Gold $$ Contributor

6XC zero freebore, small rifle primer.... Coming soon!!!

Mark W likes this.
  13. snert

Ya, I have a similar habit. I sell guns I regret, keep ones i shouldn't. And I sold the Cuda, kept the Firebird. The firewall of the Cuda is worth more today than the Firebird. i always pick the wrong ticket, the wrong car. And a few weeks ago my daughter got a call from autozone. Asking for me, on her phone. She says, sorry, wrong number. After hangs up, remembers she entered me in a sweepstakes for a 2019 Camaro. Yep, the drawing was that day. i have rotten luck.

14. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

What kinda Firebird?

15. snert

1967 coupe, 4 sp, sprint ohc6, fold rear seat, early spring color, console, parchmment interior

Tommie and Mark W like this.
  16. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

I have a 69

17. Legionnaire

Legionnaire Silver $$ Contributor

Enjoyed the thread. I'm waiting on an 8-twist 22-250 Ackley barrel from McGowen to build my first 22-250. Ya'll have me really pumped!

18. fyrewall

fyrewall

I have a number of McGowen barrels, including a 8 twist .22-.250 that has some 2800 rounds thru it since 2012, my wife shoots steel with it using the 68 grain Hornady HPBT & H414. Great performer but now up for a re-barrel job. No rifling for first 1/4 inch or so but still shoots MOA @ 300.

mikeinct and Legionnaire like this.
  19. rebel

Just when I thought everything was settled with my load - 55 gr Sierra Varmiteers at about a 1/3 minute of angle - my buddy gives me 53 grain Vmaxs. We have been toying with a new secret squirrel powder. He also sent me a pic of how they perform.
    [​IMG]
    Thats at 265 yards.
    So at loaded 3 and went over to his place to try a group at 200 yards. He trotted up to see how I did, came back and said you're done. Mine is the group on the left in the circle. This is one hummer of a factory gun. Curious the Hornady manual states that they aren't stable in a 14 twist, they are in mine.
    [​IMG]

17VLD, shooter65 and CT10ring like this.
  20. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Picked up a Cooper 22-250AI 2 years ago. The recipe is 55 grain VMax's pushed by a stout load of RL17. By far the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. Looking for a good place to hunt ground hogs.