The Ground Hog Man

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by K22, Jul 12, 2018.

1. K22

K22

So yesterday I go to a farm that I've hunted groundhogs for years. While I have open permission, I always like to check in with the farmer to let him know I'm there - its promotes good relations.

Anyway his wife answers the door and without greeting me she hails her husband saying, "Harold (the farmer), the ground hog man is here. I couldn't help smile. I have a reputation.

Harold comes out and leads me to a soybean field about 200 yards from the house and says, "These (expletive deleted) are chewing up my bean patch. Sure enough I see a strip about 20 yards wide extending out from the tree line and about 100 yards long.

I don't hunt this field because its too close to the house but Harold is insisting that I do some exterminating. This is the first time I can remember that he planted beans in this field, usually it's either wheat or corn. Another reason I don't spend time trying to hunt this field.

To keep Harold happy I set up about 150 yards from the tree line shooting into the tree line - all safe shots if I see any hogs. Because of the lay of the land this as far as I can get from the tree line and still see it. Beans are about 5 inches high, not ideal. If I see any I have to take a shot at the tree line as they peek out before they get into the bean or I'll never see them.

I used my Rem Model 7, 223 for this hunt since the distance is short. Took four monster hogs in the first hour and half, two pups later. Saw one off to my right at 142 yards in the bean field bobbing up and down. I timed the shot when he stood up then shot. Didn't know if I got him. I walked down - found the hole in the patch and check the hole and around it - no hog or blood. I missed - bad shooting - just no other way to say it. Anyway got two more later in the tree line, medium size hog boys.

Harold was happy the ground hog man showed up yesterday.

2. Nomad47

Nomad47

Great story. As I was reading it, I kept thinking about similar events that have happened to me.

thekriebles, rebel, hogpatrol and 2 others like this.
  3. varmintshooter

varmintshooter Silver $$ Contributor

Hey now, my farmers say I'm the groundhog man, is it possible there Is more than one groundhog man

4. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Ya, ditto

5. mikeinct

mikeinct

Nice Story, Ground hog Man...I still like my farmer Buddy Albert's comment to why he lets me shoot his fields..He Says to a local.. " Cause, fo a City Boy, He Can Shoot ! " That same day, earlier, he had me turn my gear quickly 180 degrees & nail one 500 yds from my spot..then In the afternoon He had me run around my truck, kneel & shoot one running 250 yds uphill & across the road from a spot we had set up on... He calls me when he cuts his fields...Grin, Sorry guys I just love telling that story..Mike in Ct

6. Webster

Webster

Don't know what the rules are in PA. In Ohio you need written permission. Even if you prove verbal permission you can get big fines. The game warden can enter any farm in Ohio without the owners permission.

7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Private property I hunt is all on request, theirs. :D In Pennsy, you need permission to hunt inside the safety zone. I got lucky when one farm owner wanted them whacked around the house. Killed eight in around two and a half hours within 100 yards all with the Annie pistol. There's still three more I didn't get but I know where they live. ;)

8. K22

K22

As far as I know, there is no requirement for written permission in PA nor would I ever ask a farmer for it unless he volunteers it. The farmer's I know would resent me asking them for it. They consider their word good enough.

I'm very respectful of their property rights and always thank them for letting me hunt on their land. I've know most of them for many years.

painter, MrMajestic, mikeinct and 3 others like this.
  9. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Hey now, I'm the "Groundhog Man" in southern Lebanon County...

hogpatrol likes this.
  10. mikeinct

mikeinct

Dude
    Whew, my first thought was, Oh Crap...Then I found you on the map..you might as well be in "God Forbid" New Jersey...Grin ..Mike in Ct

MrMajestic likes this.
  11. mr45man

mr45man Gold $$ Contributor

10889.jpeg Haven't shot a ground hog for 20 years or so,
    But I do t recall them having a long tail like this guy.
    This is in Rochester Michigan.

thekriebles likes this.
  12. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

Now ya gotta change yer handle

13. Marksman

Marksman

There's something wrong with your dog.

MrMajestic, hogpatrol and snert like this.
  14. K22

K22

I'm the guy in Berks County ;) Also known as the vulture's best friend - they eat when I go hogging. :p

MrMajestic likes this.
  15. drags

drags Silver $$ Contributor

I helped start a groundhog shoot at a local club that I belong to and when the President of the club referred to me he said Joe the groundhog guy. I also hunt live groundhogs and have hunted them for 59 years, one farm that I hunt had a dog named George and he was usually tied up. He would get loose once in a while and bit me two times and the farmer said I must smell like a groundhog and that's why he bit me.
    Drags

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  16. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

I take candy for the farmer's kids and biscuits for their dog...

snert and Mark W like this.
  17. Ohio Varmint Shooter

Ohio Varmint Shooter

Ohio farmers know the drill. They know hunters need written permission or face big fines. (and you must carry it ON you..no leaving it in the truck) They either ask for the state form first, or have no problems when I hand it over for their signature. I keep a ziplock bag with all my permission slips. I was stopped a few years ago, Warden asked for it. When they saw the bag they pretty much knew I had my act together.

18. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I would love to wander aimlessly around in the noggin of the legislator who thought up that rule...i bet I wouldn't even step on anything in there of consequence. o_O

K22 likes this.
  19. K22

K22

A few years ago the PA Legislature passed a House Bill exempting landowners who permit free access to their property for recreational purposes (including hunting) from liability for accidents occurring on their property. Sometimes law makers do get it right.

20. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

K22.....Well then, there will not be any confusion with MY name here in regard to yours with the local ranchers.....as I'm known as "The Rock Chuck Guy". Guess it's just as simple as geography, right? West vs. East with almost the same critters, cousins anyway.

A good morning last month with my Cooper M38 Phoenix in 221FB.

[​IMG]

All one-shot kills courtesy of the Nosler 40gr Varmageddon over 20.0grs of A2200. All shots were taken at roughly 200 yards, give or take. Another good morning, just like yours. Good to see you here again doing what we all love to do the best. :)