The best scope at under $500

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by shot410, Nov 15, 2010.

1. shot410

shot410

I know everyone likes NF, March, etc. However, some people can't afford those prices. So, what is the best bang for the buck for a variable power target scope for use from 100-500 yards on a 6mmBR? No high end stuff. It's out of my league.

2. pintopete

pintopete

A Sightron....Peter.

3. jr600yd

jr600yd

Nikon

4. CJ6

CJ6 Site $$ Contributor

Weaver

5. huffmanite

huffmanite

Presently, the best bang for the buck for a very good scope at a very reasonable price are the Nitrex by Weaver discontinued model scopes available only at Natchez Shooters Supply. Nitrex also has Rebates of $50 or $100 on these scopes, depending on model. The Nitrex are basically Weaver Grand or Super Slams...both made by LOW of Japan who may be best scope maker in Asia. Outstanding Japanese glass in them. Have two TR2s and I've been told by owners of Nikon Monarchs, Leupolds, Burris, Sightrons and even a Zeiss Conquest that they match their scopes for clarity/brightness and found nothing wrong with adjustments when they sat down at bench with my scopes at range and played with them.

I've had them for over 2 months now, on different rifles trying different loads, so lots of adjustments to windage/elevation by me....pullup turrets nice feature for that and they track well with good feeling clicks to them. Only knock I've read on the Nitrex in optics sections of sites like Sniper's Hide, Predator masters, Rimfire Central and others by their owners was an occasional mention of them being on the heavy side for a scope.

Worth taking a look at the Nitrex. Here is the web page at Natchez on the TR2 3-15x42 Side focus that had a final cost to me of $218 after rebate and shipping. You can view all models available from this page. By the way, have a lifetime warranty...handled by Weaver.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE94520&prodTitle=Nitrex TR Two 3-15X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

6. navyrad8r

navyrad8r

Shot410,
    Vortex Viper from
    http://www.cameralandny.com/
    6.5-20x50 with a chunk of scope shade delivered for ~$400. These are no factory re-furb!! they threw in 1lb of coffee, a baseball cap and a bumper sticker for the gun box. Not a NF or March but came recommended from Gary Elesio in lew of our previous plan of Weaver T-36 for my .260 tube gun, take a look at the website.
    cheers, Doc

7. mr70ss

mr70ss

For me the best bang for the buck has been Sightron.

8. Otter

Otter

I found my Sightron IIs and Nikon Monarchs are about equal at the same price point, all below $500. For less money and nearly an equal are the two Burris Fullfield II scopes I've recently bought. Incredible values. Leupold are great scopes but you pay a premium for optics of the same quality as any of the above.

9. GermanS1

GermanS1 Site $$ Contributor

Call Bruno's www.brunoshooters.com they always have an inventory of used Leupold scopes - lifetime warranty. I saw a couple of 36X with Kelbly rings for $395 the other day. Can't beat that! There was a Weaver too and I think even a Leupold Mk IV.

A used scope, like a used car, can be a real bargain if it's the right one for your needs.

10. snert

snert Site $$ Contributor

I bought two Leupold VariX2 6-18 with target turrets, fine plex, used. Each cost me less than $400. I love them. Track well,a nd are as good as the older generation vari-x 3, IMO.
    Try varmintsden.com and rimfirecentral, as well as the optics forums here and on benchrest central. All have good regular sellers.
    Snert