Thanks to Alonzo Custom Rifles and Cerus Rifleworks

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by johnnyi, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:55 PM.

1. johnnyi

johnnyi Gold $$ Contributor

Feeling super thankful of this #cerusrifleworks, #cerus Stock that Will Mccloskey put together. 7 Layer, 4 carbon fiber stringer Spalted Maple Bubinga/Wenge/Maple Burl hybrid forearm blue pearl resin. F-Open XL. Will’s creativity is shining through... so cool that someone takes the time and puts these creations together.

I had my good friend and gunsmith Omar Alonzo, Alonzo Custom Rifles to complete the build. Omar did all of the metal and finish work on the Cerus Stock, Borden BRMXD action. I had to copy this action from Erik Cortina. His action was super impressive when Erik shared how slick the Borden action is...

Omar met me at the range this past weekend to pick up. I had intended to “just get rounds down the barrel and Fireform into Shehane brass. I borrowed Peter Johns reamer to have Omar chamber the barrel. So I just loaded up ballpark based on what PJ said and added a bit. We put on the scope in the back of my truck and checked my dummy round to see how it fit. I brought my seater in case I needed to make adjustments. The lands lightly printed on the bullet. We figured it was 7-10k light jam. With the light load we figured it was good enough to form the cases. The match was out Mid Range club Match. I didn’t have any expectation as I was just forming brass. Based on other shooters comments with known load of 4831sc 54.0 grains seemed to be the common known light load to form cases.

I shot the match really no expectations I was just happy to be shooting this new beauty. At the end PJ and some others asked how I did. I really didn’t know I never looked at scores. I knew my x count was low for a 600 yard match. But I was fortunate enough to hang enough “Big 10’s’s to win.”

Cigarcop likes this.
  2. johnnyi

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew

I love that pattern for sure

Ranger007 and johnnyi like this.
  4. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

It certainly is a gorgeous rifle! There are people who can "do up" a stock. Then there are people who can make something dazzling! Omar is such a 'smith for sure! I think between Omar and Keith Weil, you can not do better. There may be someone out there that is their equal>>>but not better! Excellent job indeed!!

Cigarcop, johnnyi and vahena like this.
  5. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Love seeing that kind of creativity. Very nice looking gun.......Looks like it is going to be a shooter as well......:cool:

johnnyi likes this.
  6. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Yea....we will have to see how it performs in serious wind Johnny! :p:p:p

Congrats... Jade told me about your rifle; from the pics I see why he was impressed. Good shooting in the rough stuff. I wish I could have made it.

johnnyi likes this.
  7. NA Woody

NA Woody Gold $$ Contributor

Only Johnny can show up with an unfired rifle, scope not mounted or zeroed, ammo not tailored for that chamber and shoot well enough to win the match against a bunch of talented shooters. I know he did because I was there to see it!
    What Johnny didn't mention was how tough conditions were. Wind was gusting from 10-20 mph with gusts around 25mph. Also shifting from 10 oclock around to 1 oclock. Chairs were being blown over and shade canopies flying away. Not one clean match was shot all day by anyone that I am aware of.
    Johnny is a great shot and a great guy...and now he has a beautiful rifle on top of all that.
    Way to go Johhny….You are definitely the man!:)

8. sdeal5

sdeal5 Gold $$ Contributor

Congrats, Johnny. Beautiful rifle for sure. Turned out even better than anticipated. Take care
    Scott

johnnyi likes this.
  9. BarryB

BarryB Gold $$ Contributor

Johnny, congratulations on the win ! Will sent me a video of the flags straight out and switching directions every 9 secs. Beautiful rifle too! Looking forward to seeing it on the line next weekend.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    johnnyi likes this.
  10. johnnyi

Thanks Barry! I recall a big 9 I shot. I fired and looked up and saw the flag about 40° from when I decided to shoot. I was sure it was going to be an 8 or worse. It was tuff.

Randy Littleton kicked all of our butts with a slowly old tree’08! He had high score overall with a pretty huge X count.

11. Scott Harris

Scott Harris Gold $$ Contributor

very pretty rifle...unique. Even prettier because "pretty is as pretty does!" :)

johnnyi likes this.
  12. Stingray

Stingray

An incredible rifle and an incredible shooter. Shows up planning to fireform some brass with an untested load in a new rifles and wins. Congrats to Bayou Rifles Midrange F-open champ for 2019. Good luck in the TSRA state championship next week.

13. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie Gold $$ Contributor

Congrats on the win Johnny, rifle ain't half bad either!.......:p;):cool:

johnnyi likes this.