Texas vs Australia Fly Shoot Entry

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by mikecockcroft, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Ghansen

Ghansen

Looking forward to this very much, I'll be there in Oz with a Grinch

2. Ghansen

Ghansen

GPS position
    35Deg 12'40.4"S 149Deg 12'00.9"E

3. Intheshop

Intheshop

Impressive prize donor list!

And yes,please be respectful with the "Y" word,haha.

4. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft Gold $$ Contributor

11.5 inches of rain from Saturday night till noon Sunday
    Much more coming. Range is a little wet

comagutsa and savagedasher like this.
  5. Tiger73

Tiger73

Hi Mike, have seen the rain in Texas reported on the news here in Canberra, hope you're all ok.

Dave G

comagutsa likes this.
  6. mikecockcroft

Dave,
    We have had 26 inches of rain as of 8am this morning. Many roads and highways in the county are closed due to high water. We are north of Houston and at a higher elevation. All the rain here flows to Houston. Starting to have power outages in the area due to ground saturation and trees falling on power lines.
    Pray for Houston and the coastal counties
    The people of Texas are acting heroically to save the lives of strangers.
    Many Huntsville residents have taken their boats to Houston to rescue those in flooded homes
    God Bless Texas

Tiger73 and AlloyTargets like this.
  7. mikecockcroft

IMG_0739.JPG IMG_0740.JPG Road to my range

8. JoeDuke

JoeDuke

Mike, you drying out any?
    My son is still doing high water rescue in Houston. He is law enforcement and spent all day in a boat yesterday. He sent pics of houses with water nearly over garage doors. This is 35 miles northwest ofdowntown Houston. Looks erie boating past stop signs with only the tops out of the water.

9. Mega

Mega

Gee, I hope all you Guys are okay... ??

Quite different here with the driest seasons ever seen. Since retired with a few Cattle (20) it's buying feed big time to keep them going.

Anyway, I haven't shot competition for a few years but the nomination is in for the ACT Fly Championship. Being ACT (Australian Capital Territory), the little place where our politicians hide to make rules....

We will have to see how Texas goes, I might even wear my big hat to remind me who is on the other side of the little world.

I've got some ammo that was loaded a few years ago for two 6.5x47L's so why not use it to have some fun. Probably for medical reasons the last time I may ever go Fly Shooting again. Light Gun will be a Stolle Grizzly @ near 17lbs and the funny one is my Varmint Rifle...entering Heavy Gun, it weighs about 14lbs but it's nice to shoot as a factory rifle.

Wish you guys all the very, very best and thoughts are out to those in various not so good conditions weather wise.

10. mikecockcroft

Starting to dry out here. My son and friends have been going into Houston every night manning a boat. Have deputies with them at night, deputies are armed to the teeth. All kinds of stories about looking down in the water and seeing the tops of cars below them . Lots of guys getting their boats/motors damaged hitting cars and brick mail boxes under the water.

comagutsa likes this.
  11. mikecockcroft

Saturday the 9th of September will be the next scheduled practice day.
    The range is set up for the match now so you can practice on the actual targets with the sighter plates below them.
    Pre-registration is highly appreciated due to the complications of drawing benches with shooters shooting two classes and sharing equipment.
    Bench draw will be Thursday before the match. Those arriving Friday and Saturday morning that haven't registered will draw benches from the available benches in C and D relay.
    Friday the 22nd will be a practice day also. Registered shooters can set their wind flags out Friday and leave them set for Saturday.
    Prize table items will be given away by random drawing.
    Attached is a photo of the embroidered patches that will be given away numbered with the number of flies you hit during the match.
    Mike

Attached Files:

12. RDavies

RDavies Silver $$ Contributor

The weather will likely be much warmer by the shoot day, but then being Canberra it could be snowing as well. We often get calm weather in Canberra, for about 1 minute or until straight after you have fired your last sighter.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  13. mikecockcroft

Danny Keeney has donated a set of 4 wind flags and stands to the prize table.
    Thank you Danny

14. trevort

trevort

I cant wait to get back into this. A 300m mozzie shoot at Melbourne Benchrest Club on the 17th to whet my appetite with my varmint rifle.
    I suppose I should start neck turning some brass as the comp light gun will be arriving any day soon.

Hope fly catches on in Texas, its a lot of fun

comagutsa likes this.
  15. Jennb

Jennb

Wish it wasnt while I will be at F Class Nationals. It sounds like fun!

16. mikecockcroft

Jennb
    Sorry about the overlap with the nationals.
    Its very difficult to find a date that doesn't conflict with another match or personal events.
    I guess its a good thing that there are so many opportunities to shoot these days.
    Next year I will have several fly matches and a finals. Hope to see you then.

Rushty and comagutsa like this.
  17. mikecockcroft

IMG_0776.JPG
    Darrel Martin was at range this morning testing some ammo. From the benches it looked like a 50 plus 9 for group. At the break drove down to check targets.
    Damn !! Where did that flyer come from

Rushty likes this.
  18. mikecockcroft

Thank you Bryan Litz.
    Received your package today with books and DVD's for the prize table.

AlloyTargets likes this.
  19. mikecockcroft

Thank you PMA Tool, the shooters in Texas appreciate your donation to our prize table.

20. David 0306

David 0306

Just curious how many shots to you get per sitting or round ?