Texas vs Australia Fly Shoot Entry

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by mikecockcroft, Jun 20, 2017.

1. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft Gold $$ Contributor

Rules and entry form attached for the Texas vs Australia Fly Shoot
    September 23, 2017
    Pine Valley Benchrest
    Huntsville, TX

Attached Files:

Rushty and comagutsa like this.
  2. Mega

Mega

Reading your posted rules...

I do hope in all fairness that you keep those that are using "Muzzle Breaks" well away from the serious shooters that are trying to concentrate on the job at hand. Those with "Sound Moderators" not the same game but not in the game as per our rules.

I hope you all ..hang on (y'all) is that the TX word... Have FUN... Rule 10... HAVE FUN and compete equally... Bloody Yanks.... always trying to win at all cost... All in jest Guys.

Look very much forward to the posting of the results.

The next match in NSW, Australia 500M & 200Yard Rimfire is near booked out. A number of new shooters to Fly Shooting... Male & Female.

BTW... I saw a mention of someone not liking being called a "Yank" .... Okay... The Wiki is that English/British people call anyone from the USA a "Yank" and that's the way it will be... All in complete respect. Like it or not.... :)

Rushty likes this.
  3. JoeDuke

JoeDuke

We shoot a series of clay bird matches here (www.texasbenchrest.com) where muzzle brakes are allowed and just deal with it. It is what it is. So, we are not unfamiliar with having a brake on either side of us while being serious shooters who concentrate on the job at hand. And, while we compete seriously, we do indeed have fun at it.
    BTW, the wiki may state that anyone from the US is a yank but you have to remember, this is TEXAS, and we rightly don't take to being called yanks. :)

joe

JLT and jdh47 like this.
  4. mikecockcroft

As the picture of my range shows, there is a triangle shaped baffle between every bench that diverts the muzzle brake blast forward and keeps it off your neighbor. I have been hosting matches since I built the range in 2010. We have always allowed muzzle brakes and about 35% of the rifles have them. Seeing your hit on a clay bird is very important in knowing how much to hold off for the next shot. I did not want to alienate that many shooters who have supported this range in the past. They understand that their scores will count in the local match but not be sent in for the postal match with Canberra.
    Mike, the non-yank native Texan

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/cockcroft/media/IMG_6785.jpg.html?o=19

jim_k likes this.
  5. mikecockcroft

6. mikecockcroft

Benches are also spaced much further apart then at most ranges
    [​IMG]

comagutsa likes this.
  7. mikecockcroft

targets arrived today, picked up 18 AR500 plates from Travis yesterday so we are getting everything ready

Attached Files:

comagutsa and AlloyTargets like this.
  8. Judd

Judd Gold $$ Contributor

Mega is scared to shoot against the muzzle brakes but yet implies they aren't serious shooters :p

9. mikecockcroft

I think we will have our hands full trying to best the Aussies at their own game. I am opening the range for practice days to get ready at no charge. The Aussies have 30 years worth of practice and match experience, we have 3 months to learn this game and get ready!!!!! Official targets will be available but you will have to purchase them. You can shoot at steel plates or bring your own targets. Bring white spray Kilz to paint your plates.
    Practice days will be:
    July 15
    August 19
    September 9
    Other dates can be arranged for shooters pre-registered in the match to come out to Pine Valley to practice.

Judd likes this.
  10. ebb

ebb

What do you mean steel plates?????? When I shot flies at the Indian Hammock range, we always shot live flies. A little sugar water on the paper target and being next to the stables helped ensure we had plenty of volunteer targets. No one ever tried to shoot with anything over 30 caliber as it was thought that there would be no evidence of a hit. The 30 BR and 6PPC we the favorites, however the 22 waldog had a following.

11. mikecockcroft

Uh......ok
    The steel plates are for practice and sighting in. The Fly is printed on the target
    If you will bring 1500 trained flies to the match I will let you put them on each target but they must be trained well enough to stay in the center of the targets for each shot

Judd likes this.
  12. JoeDuke

JoeDuke

Trained flies. Now that is Funny, I don't care who you are.

Rushty likes this.
  13. varmtr

varmtr

Fly shoots are fun we also have a mosquito shoots as well

Rushty likes this.
  14. mikecockcroft

Had some questions about how match winner is named.
    The overall match winner will be the shooter with the highest aggregate score of five targets regardless of class. So the winner could be a light gun or a heavy gun. Shooting both classes in not required to be the match champion. The match champion will also be the winner of what ever class he or she shot in.
    Awards will be for:
    Match Champion
    Light Gun Winner (five target agg)
    Heavy Gun Winner (five target agg)
    Highest scoring (single)Target light gun
    Highest scoring (single)Target heavy gun
    Smallest (single)group light gun
    Smallest (single)group heavy gun
    2 Gun Winner

Cash payout for 1st thru 4th overall scores

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. tbeasley

tbeasley

Folks
    This is gonna be a hoot!! Please tell others to come out and try this. The rules are pretty easy, meaning you can darn near shoot anything no matter weight wise and caliber (stay .338 cal and under ). There is class for all.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Rushty likes this.
  16. mikecockcroft

Moving the July practice day to July 22
    Sorry for the mix up. Hard to pick a day that doesn't have a conflict.
    Pre-registered shooters can call to set up other practice days.

17. mikecockcroft

donors have started sending items for the prize table. I will put together the list of donors and post it here.
    The Aussies are getting everything ready in Canberra for their match day too.
    Next year we will have matches every other month with the September postal match with Canberra being the final match of our season and will name the shooter of the year after that match
    July 22 is the first open range day to practice at 500 meters on the targets used for the match
    Mike

comagutsa and Rushty like this.
  18. mikecockcroft

Had another question about cash payout and prize table.
    The match at Pine Valley and the match at Canberra are stand alone matches. Each range will payout winners and have their own prize table. The combining of the scores for the postal match are for bragging rights only.
    Prize table donations for the Pine Valley match are starting to come in:
    Alloy Targets
    Sierra Bullets
    L.E. Wilson
    Whidden Gunworks
    Solid Accuracy
    Pine Valley Precision

comagutsa and AlloyTargets like this.
  19. JoeDuke

JoeDuke

Looking forward to this shoot. Mike has a good fair range. No honey holes that I have ever found. Just a wide open pasture to shoot across. Mirage will most likely be a strong factor come match day.
    I can tell you that Mike is working hard to put on a good shoot as always. You only get one chance to shoot the inaugural shoot.

Joe

20. mikecockcroft

Couple more donors
    K&M Precision
    Burris Optics

comagutsa likes this.