Texas fly shoots

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by mikecockcroft, Jan 28, 2018.

1. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft Silver $$ Contributor

Match dates for 500 meter Fly Shoots at Pine Valley Range in Huntsville, TX
    March 3
    May 5
    July 7
    Sept 15

2. mikecockcroft

Texas Fly Shooter of the Year will be based on your top 3 match scores added together. You can miss one match and still be eligible or your lowest score out of four will be dropped.

For some reason I cannot attach the entry form for the March shoot. I am trying to figure out the problem.

Pre-registration highly recommended.
    Because you can shoot both light and heavy class in one day and you can have a spotter, it is quite a process to get the bench assignment figured out. No way to do it the morning of the match. You are welcome to show up and shoot but you will be placed in what ever relay and bench that is open and no guarantee that you will share a bench with your spotter.

These matches will also be informal postal matches with our Australian friends shooting on weekends as close to the date we are shooting.

3. mikecockcroft

registration attached

Attached Files:

AlloyTargets likes this.
  4. Rushty

Rushty Gold $$ Contributor

Good luck with it all this year Mike hope you get some good numbers attending, it’s a great shoot I’m sure all will enjoy.

Cheers

5. Kyle Schultz

Kyle Schultz Gold $$ Contributor

September date conflicts with F-Class Nationals in Raton but I should be able to make the other 3 dates. Thanks again for putting this together.

6. RWilson

RWilson

Looking forward to the matches this year.
    Mike, thanks for all the work you put into these matches.

7. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

My entry is in today's mail to you. Thanks, Mike!

8. mikecockcroft

Thanks Travis
    I realize having to pre-register is a pain in the ass, but the bench/relay draw for a match where you can shoot two classes and are teamed up with a spotter sharing a bench makes it almost impossible to draw Saturday morning and get started early enough to finish before dark. I do not have enough help on Saturday morning to accomplish that either.

Bench draw will be the Thursday night before the match. Friday before will be a practice day and you can set your flags out then.

These matches take longer then I would like but I don't see how to get finished any faster. Makes for a late drive home for some of you guys I know.

If anyone is one the fence about coming, send in your registration and if you cant make it I will send your money back. Much easier to scratch you off the list then try to fit you and a partner in Saturday morning. Only stipulation is you call me and draw out before the benches are drawn on Thursday night.

This March will only be my second Fly Shoot to host. Please be patient, I know I don't have all the bugs worked out yet.

Thanks
    Mike
    936-661-1636

9. AlloyTargets

I like having the paperwork out of the way ahead of time. I’ll be driving down from Dallas early match morning. That’s 15 min more sleep and one less thing to forget. Now if I could only find a day or two to tune/ practice...

RDavies likes this.
  10. mikecockcroft

the Aussies will be shooting at Canberra the weekend after we do. I've challenged them again to a postal match.
    I will send our scores after our March 3rd. shoot to compete with their scores shot on the 10th. and see who wins this year. As everyone in the free world knows, we beat them last year. I'm sure they want revenge.

11. AlloyTargets

With the weather we've been having, I propose a new rule. No tuned rifles or competitors with confidence allowed. See you Saturday! Hope ya'll are dryer in Huntsville than we've been in Dallas.

12. mikecockcroft

Been raining here just about like Dallas.
    Sun came out today about noon. Beautiful afternoon but rain coming back tomorrow. Friday and Saturday forecast is warm and sunny

13. mikecockcroft

3-3-18 Fly Shoot results attached

Attached Files:

comagutsa likes this.
  14. Rushty

Some good scores there Mike, any pics from the comp?

Cheers Rushty

15. Kyle Schultz

Kyle Schultz Gold $$ Contributor

A couple that I took. It was a beautiful day with some interesting wind.

Firing Line.jpg Scoreboard.jpg

16. mikecockcroft

17. Rushty

Cheers fellas.. lovely day for a Fly shoot

18. orbitup

orbitup Silver $$ Contributor

Nice. But like the barriers between benches. Keeps the guy with the muzzle brake from blowing your glasses off.

AlloyTargets likes this.
  19. Mega

Mega

Which poses a burning question.

In the results, who is or who is not using a Muzzle Brake (even a Sound Moderator) and what calibre.

Since in Australia we certainly are not allowed to use either at a competition so the only way to find out information is to ask you guys. Anyone prepared to say if you have an advantage or not..??

BTW...I was hoping that anyone using a Muzzle Brake would have that noted against their entry so we in Australia can discount that score against anything shot over here.

We don't have those nice baffles between benches, some benches are so close together that anything up in the big calibres near blows your glasses of anyway if you are sitting next door and just about to fire a round.

It's still great fun though.

So, waiting to hear about a 200 Yard Rimfire Fly Shoot. There are a number of them happening here this year.

20. AlloyTargets

Thanks for another great match Mike! Beautiful day & the mirage didn’t really pick up until about 9am. I’ve gotta learn where to point in the soup.