Texas 500M Fly Shoots 2019

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by mikecockcroft, Jan 10, 2019.

1. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

The first two 500M Texas Fly Shoots of 2019 will be March 9 and May 4 at Pine Valley Benchrest in Huntsville, TX.
    Both matches will be postal matches against the Aussies shooting the same weekends at Canberra and Melbourne respectively.
    Up to now, the Aussies have us 3 to 2. We plan on embarrassing them through out this year. An unnamed source told me that they have all sworn off alcohol for 2019 just to be sure they don't loose a match to us. Good luck with that mates.
    The dates for the 3rd. and 4th. shoots will be posted soon.
    Entry form attached.

Attached Files:

Evaed, snakepit, comagutsa and 2 others like this.
  2. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

Your unnamed source needs to wash there mouth out, I would imagine the plan would be to drink more due to celebrating more wins for 2019 :)

blowemup, comagutsa and SPJ like this.
  3. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

Starting to dry out here. At least not raining every day. Will have a few work days at the range to prepare for the upcoming Fly Shoot season.
    First shoot March 9th.
    Range open for practice on the 8th.’
    If you live close enough and would like to practice at 500 meters let me know. Can make arrangements for those entered to practice.

Field & Cave likes this.
  4. 15T

15T

I love shooting at Pine Valley and would like to come down and practice one day in February. Maybe I can talk West into coming also. See you soon Mike.
    Denny

Field & Cave likes this.
  5. sdeal5

sdeal5

Looking forward to the upcoming Fly season, Mike Hopefully we can give the Aussies some stellar competition again this year. They are a tough bunch of shooters though, so we've got to bring our "A" games for sure. Seeya in March
    Scott

Field & Cave likes this.
  6. blowemup

blowemup

This season will be interesting.
    You guys picked up the fly shooting game quickly & weather permitting will no doubt post some big scores.
    Hopefully we give you a flogging all the same though.

Cheers Ken.

Rushty likes this.
  7. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

I'll be there on the 9th shooting both classes, even if it costs me 1/2 of my worldly possessions. It's the first weekend of my kiddos' spring break. Not sure how pleased the wifey is about it... Are there any beaches in Huntsville??

Add my entry $ to my gunsmithing/ transfer tab and tell me how many Benjamins to bring.

Having seen some of the tuning targets of my fellow competitors, I have mid-pack expectations at best. What the hell. Let's burn some powder, talk some smack & curse the conditions.

boltfluter and Rushty like this.
  8. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

get serious Ken, the first year was just a casual warmup, most of our shooters were drunk or hung over, were using their deer rifles and shooting off bipods.
    This year we’re breaking out the good shootin irons. Remember “God blessed Texas with his own hand” as the song says.

Evaed and blowemup like this.
  9. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

Travis
    Remember her parents told her not to marry you. She was warned.

waybones and Field & Cave like this.
  10. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

Come to think of it, I still haven’t gotten that dowry. I think u may be right!

11. blowemup

blowemup

Mike you guys got to shoot off a bench ?? we were told to shoot from the hip last season to give you guys a chance.
    & you best call a priest to your next shoot as you Texans will need all the blessing a man can get.

mikecockcroft and Rushty like this.
  12. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

now you’ve hurt my feelings

blowemup likes this.
  13. waybones

waybones

Are rifles even legal in Australia? I thought it was a prison colony?

14. Rushty

Barely legal to model citizens!!

waybones likes this.
  15. waybones

waybones

If anyone from Texas wants to go shoot one of the fly matches in Australia, I found this helpful map. Just turn right at Kangaroos with guns ;)

lolsclub.com-Australia.jpg

dmoran, Field & Cave and Rushty like this.
  16. Rushty

Just no politicians we’re already well over our required limits...

17. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Can someone give me a brief overview of a fly shoot? How is it scored? How many rounds do I need to load? What are the rules regarding rifle classes?

18. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

Light gun- 17 lbs and under
    Heavy gun- any weight as long as you can carry it to bench without assistance
    Can shoot a light gun in both classes
    Any sight, any rest except one piece and return to battery
    Each class shoots 5 targets, 5 shots on paper, 3 shots allowed on steel sighted plate under target, so 8 x 5 is 40 per class
    Target has scoring rings, each hit is scored then the group is measured and bonus points awarded according to group size. A 0 to 1 inch group gets you 10 bonus points. 1 to 2 inch group gets 9 bonus points. This goes down to 1 bonus point for a 9 to 10 inch group
    The fly in the 10 rings acts the same as the x in vfs. A hit on the fly adds .01 to your score. So a shot in the 10 ring that hits the fly is scored as 10.01
    If there is less then 5 hits on the target then you do not get points for group size, must be a 5 shot group.
    Shooters are paired on benches and can spot for each other.
    Under each target is a steel sighter plate. You have 3 rounds available per target to shoot at the plate to get your wind call. The sighter shots and record shots on target can be fired in any order.
    The same equipment you would see at 600 and 1000 Benchrest and F class is what you see at Fly shoots
    No muzzle brakes
    Quick answer so ask more questions if need needed.

Go to 500Mflyshooter.com and go to “rules” for complete info

Nature Boy likes this.
  19. mikecockcroft

mikecockcroft

20. Mega

Mega

Not sure about Texas but over here every event starts off with an "optional" warmer target. Not counted for the match and used for practise, sighting in or anything you want. Unlimited rounds within a 10 minute time frame.

From one of the guys over here that was in the initial start of the "Fly Shoot"....

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/500-metres.html

Stuart and his wife Annie have supported the Fly Shoot for many, many years and still do but don't compete much in it these days. Extremely nice people, Hall Of Fame Members and have always been at the top of their game locally and internationally.