Terrible Day Shooting

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by clunker, Jun 15, 2018.

1. clunker

clunker Silver $$ Contributor

Just joined the forum and hoping for some answers.

I bought my new Tikka Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor on Monday, and today I finally got to shoot it. Worst day ever shooting a rifle. I tried out three different types of factory ammo (Hornady ELD Match, Norma HPBT Match, and Federal Premium with Nosler Accubond). Had problems with all three. Groups looked pretty good until I came across a round of Norma that wasn't hollow point. It looked like lead was filled all the way to the tip. I should have thrown it out because my groups started getting bigger after firing that round. One grouping later, I shot a round of the Hornady and I could barely eject the casing. Turns out that the primer blasted out of its pocket and welded itself to the bolt (not literally). It took about 40 minutes to remove the carbon scoring from the bolt after I got home. Frustrated with Hornady and Norma, I switched to Federal which would not even load into the chamber. The box says 6.5 Creedmoor, but the casings definitely have different dimensions than the other two. I was really looking forward to seeing the performance of Nosler's Accubond because I have heard so many good things about it and was hoping to use it for hunting whitetail this year.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to vent. I never had any of these issues (even with cheap ammo) with my .223. Are these manufacturer defects normal? Do you think it has something to do with the Creedmoor being fairly new to the market? I love the rifle, but maybe it's cursed.

2. Falfan2017

Falfan2017 Gold $$ Contributor

Don't bother with factory ammo. Load your own you got a lot more control

Jacob.A, 22BRGUY and 6.5creed like this.
  3. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

If you are destined to shoot factory ammo, look in Prime ammo, they make a 130 gr load with a Norma bullet, good stuff. From my experience I would not recommend it as a hunting bullet, but others like it.
    Be sure to clean your gun before you proceed, sounds like something went awry on that one round. I really don't have proof to back my theory up, but I will clean the barrel before I switch powders and especially bullets.
    Like the above poster said, loading your own ammo will bring a level of satisfaction not found in factory ammo, if feasible.

pirate ammo likes this.
  4. clunker

I am definitely planning to load my own, but I am still new to this game. Probably won't invest in the equipment for another year because I don't buy cheap tools, and the good stuff is expensive. In the mean time, I need to find a hunting round that shoots well enough in the Tikka for whitetail. 2" groups at 100 yards are not acceptable. I'm a novice, but I still have my standards.

5. clunker

Milo, I will look into Prime ammo. I always thoroughly clean the bore after every target practice session, but the bore did not seem too bad after cleaning today. Better cleaning solvents should be arriving within a couple of days, so we'll see if there is some copper/lead that I missed. Were you suggesting that I clean the bore at the range before I switch ammo? Not opposed to the idea, but I didn't think it was necessary.

6. Milo 2.0

I guess I would not clean at a range, you can if you want. I would never try 2 diff things in the same outing, that's just me. Once you get a few more rds down the barrel and a few cleanings, I would not over clean, barrels can go quite a few rds between cleanings.
    Like I said upfront, may not be many that share my thoughts. I look at it like this, carbon from one powder may not interact good with another, jacket from one bullet may get worn in a certain pattern and deposit copper, then you change bullets and add a new pattern in your barrel.

7. Falfan2017

2" is fine for hunting at 100

8. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

something is wrong. you shouldnt be having those kinds of problems with factory ammo in a factory rifle. I never had a factory rifle that wouldnt accept a factory load. OF coarse i never had a 6.5 creedmoor either. do you have a caliper you can actually measure the ammunition with and is that how you know the federals are different? If i was you i believe id take the gun to the dealer you bought it from or a gunsmith to check it out. The hornady case that blew the primer was a sign of a very over pressure load. it may have caused a problem in the chamber and thats why you cant get the federals in. did the whole hornady case come out of the chamber? Of coarse it could be just because its a 6.5 creedmoor(that last part was a little joke)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    'Freak, wbm and 22BRGUY like this.
  9. Milo 2.0

Not from a Tikka.

10. Falfan2017

Could it do better? Of course. Does it need to do better to whack a deer at 100? No

11. clunker

Your suggestions make a lot of sense. It usually takes a few rounds before any new ammo stabilizes. After I find the right cartridge, I won't need to keep switching, but with so many options on the market, it might take years to find a factory ammo that works if I only try one at each outing. I already know that when I start reloading, I want Lapua or Norma brass and Nosler or equivalent bullets. CCI primers look pretty good, and the company is located very close to home. I don't have a clue about powder, which is probably the most complex of all reloading ingredients. Thank you for your help.

12. Evan

Evan

2" may do it just fine, but I don't like the thought of injuring an animal because a shot was misplaced. I would not take a rifle that only shoots 2" hunting because it doesn't give me the piece of mind that a rifle that groups 2" at 300 does. The OP probably feels similarly.

clunker: something is wrong here: check your cartridges carefully, but I think something is wrong with your rifle chamber. If you can't find anything wrong with the cartridges, then I would take the rifle to a gunsmith to have him check, if nothing else, the headspace and straightness of the chamber.

13. Milo 2.0

I do not recall where the op said anything about shooting deer inside 100 yards, a 2" group at 100 was mentioned?

14. johnfred1965

johnfred1965

If I just bought a beater at the pawn shop, 2 inches might be ok, dropping a bundle on a tikka that only shoots 2 inches is a travisty weather it is accurate enough to hunt with is beside the point, that rifle should shoot cloverleafs.

15. Falfan2017

Just because the rifle is capable of sub moa doesn't mean it will happen. For a new shooter we don't know anything about the optic, the rest or bipod situation the skill involved etc. I was at the range the other day and this guy was blasting away with a savage in 338 lapua at a 50 yard target hitting it every other time. Decided to start at the top I guess.
    My point is if the ops goal is to knock down deer 2 inches is fine. If the goal is to shoot small groups than we need to know more to see what's going on. Could be the ammo could be a lot of things.

16. clunker

hoz53, sorry I missed your post. I have a very precise digital caliper, but the obvious difference between casings can be seen with the naked eye. All dimensions are virtually identical (including an exact .2640 bullet diameter) except for one measurement at the base of the casing. I tried the bolt from my .223 since it is identical to my Creedmoor, and it had the same results. Will not load.

Falfan, very few hunters in my neck of the woods are fortunate enough to see a legal buck within 100 yards during hunting season in their lifetimes. Then, take into consideration that 2" at a stable benchrest is a lot different than it is in the field. If I can't reliably shoot sub MOA at the range, then it isn't ethical to take a shot at 400 yards in the field.

'Freak and timeout like this.
  17. johnfred1965

johnfred1965

He obviously knows how to shoot his 223 with factory ammo, since he isn't handloading yet, so I am not going to put the blame on the shooter.

18. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I found an article stating Hornady has already downloaded their ammo 3 times because primer pockets were blowing out and being stretched. I was searching for Creedmoor dimensions and the article came up. It said they first loaded at 60,000 PSI then dropped to 59,000 and then down to 58,000. It is funny nobody has talked about it. Matt

seymour fish likes this.
  19. hoz53

ok clunker that very well could be if your comparing unfired factory loads. should not be that way though as they should be within saami specs so that is something wrong. also the bolt from your 223 is not identical to a 6.5 creed. to start with the case head sizes are different. also dont try a bolt from one rifle in another. there are tolerances and the dimensions are not necessariy the same. you should have never blown that primer with a factory load so that is also something wrong. it could be an ammo problem like matt says in another post or it could be something else. one thing is for sure-your rifle isnt cursed- there are some explanations for what is going on.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    timeout likes this.
  20. hoz53

if the guy has a rifle that factory loads wont chamber in he has more basic problems then worrying about the group sizes dont you think?