Tensioned barrels?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by boltfluter, Jan 9, 2019.

1. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Just wondering if anyone has any experience messing with the tensioned barrel set up? Seems like an interesting concept. Thoughts? :D:D

Thanks, Paul

2. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

Yep many moons ago in 1k BR rifles.
    Tension as well as compression. Even tension with a barrel block (s). That didn't work out so well.
    They work but have a personality all their own. That personality can change every time there's a barrel mod.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Some vintage 40x stocks had two set screws at the forend to put pressure on barrel. The 40x I had...I could never get repeatable results with them touching barrel. Do a tuner.

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I have done it. Aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium. I think its ok on a rimfire barrel but not a centerfire. I did it for weight and they looked cool but wow did they shoot bad.

boltfluter likes this.
  5. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Tried it , it just added one more variable . Tried sporter barrels that I kept the muzzle at 1.25 " to thread for the outer 3 piece tube . In the middle of the outer tube , well it was basically a turnbuckle . Left threads and right threads to adjust pressure .
    At first I thought it was an improvement , but realized after much fussing ( aprx 130 rds ) not a viable design or idea . I was shooting a modified 6.5 Remington Mag at Williamsport , long long ago .
    Hope this makes sense , no COFFEE yet

boltfluter and DaveTooley like this.
  6. bcarico

bcarico Silver $$ Contributor

World records have been set using them.

7. Dusty Stevens

do you have an example of one set with one? ive never seen anybody using one in any discipline besides the STC in rimfire.

8. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

Joel Pendergraft and Charles Bailey absolutely wore us out with there's. Joel's worked for one barrel then he never could duplicate the performance. Charles made several barrels work. I built a 30 BR rail gun for a guy. I don't think it shoot that well. All the tools you know about making a rifle shoot are null and void. It's about engineering and a bit of luck.
    Sorry no pics.

dmoran and bcarico like this.
  9. bcarico

I have some pictures of the guns Tooley mentioned I’ll dig them out tomorrow. Joel’s gun held the HG 1000yard record for quite some time.

boltfluter and Dusty Stevens like this.
  10. cem

cem

Dan Wesson revolvers with their interchangeable barrel system had a variety of tensioned barrels. Dan Wesson revolvers were also the most successful brand at handgun metallic silhouette to longer ranges with powerful cartridges. Anecdotal only. May not have been an improvement but a suggestion of did not hurt.

11. bcarico

I took these pictures in 2008 at Hawks Ridge in NC. The first photo is a picture of Joels gun that held the HG 1000yd record. The rest he used are on the table in front of the rifle. The second picture is the gun being shot. (sorry this photo didn't turn out well)

Attached Files:

• 056.JPG
      056.JPG
      File size:
      2.4 MB
      Views:
    • 048.JPG
      048.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    Evlshnngns and Dusty Stevens like this.
  12. Dusty Stevens

Man that was an exercise in machining for sure. The butt pad is a nice touch.

Ramblerman likes this.
  13. alinwa

alinwa

Craig Kensler, Larry White, Charles Ellertson, Robbie Carnell, Jeff Rogers ......... Belleville washers, jacking screws, zerk stretchers...... useta' be quite a thing.

fat ones
    carnellrailgun1.jpg

skinny ones

jerryK stretcher.JPG

I'm betting Boyd's got a hunnerd pix in his files if you get him interested.....

bcarico likes this.
  14. Dusty Stevens

That one of rob’s there was a water jacket if i remember right. A few did it around the same time. It had an ammo can full of water and a little bilge pump

15. savagedasher

savagedasher

It should be a simple process
    Any good Cylinder repair shop can make it and you could increase the tension with hydraulic pressure

16. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria Silver $$ Contributor

Saw one set up for Palma style shooting a few decades back. In that case, he was searching for a method to get more barrel length (and velocity) without upping weight. It turned out it was no better or worse than he could achieve conventionally.

savagedasher likes this.
  17. savagedasher

savagedasher

A friend who rebuild hydraulic
    Cylinder says it wouldn’t be much problem to build
    And he said 1/2 ton of pressure
    And oil filled

boltfluter likes this.