Tempilstick?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by chuckswagger, Jan 11, 2019.

1. chuckswagger

chuckswagger

Does the Tempilstick do a good job as the Tempilaq for annealing?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The brass will cool before you can rub it on there

Webster likes this.
  3. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting comment. Is the sick only meant to be used after the anneal is finished? I would have thought it went on before as does the Tempilaq.
    But then I have never used the stick and only used the "laq" in the early "learning" stages of my venture into annealing.

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You rub the stick on something and it melts at the stick’s designed temp. Since brass cools very quickly you cant go by a stick you rub on there. It would be probably 300deg cooler by the time you could. Tempilsticks wre designed to like for example rub on a gearbox thats running to see if its hot enough to melt the stick. I had a helicopter at one time and it had whats called a telatemp sticker on it. If the gearbox ever reached critical temp it lit up a certain color to let you know theres a problem inside. An assortment of sticks would tell you the current temp

5. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

Not really. You cannot direct the flame at either to get a true temperature indication. You can paint a stripe of Tempilaq on the inside of the case neck. You can't with Tempil stick

6. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 Silver $$ Contributor

I tried the stick and it no-worky.

marchboom and hambone1971 like this.
  7. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire Gold $$ Contributor

Stick is used for pressure tank welding. Rough surface of item, chalky marker. Pre heat with weed burner or other. Mark to confirm and show extent of preheat. Monitor during welding to ensure min and max temperature is met over a given area. Interesting how heat moves around on big stuff.

Dusty Stevens and hambone1971 like this.
  8. hambone1971

hambone1971 Silver $$ Contributor

Very interesting.HB

9. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

If you really, really want to use the stick, you need to use a sacrificial test case. Take 80-grit sandpaper and really rough up the test case body below the shoulder. This allows you to apply some of the stick onto the case, it won't apply to smooth brass. Then heat your neck and watch the smear on the case, while counting seconds (I use an audible metronome.) Once you know the heating time, you don't need any indicator on the production cases.
    -

hambone1971 and Bc'z like this.
  10. Webster

Webster

You cannot put a flame directley onto Templiaq or TemplStik

11. Webster

Webster

Agree with Dusty. I used TemplStik at work on hot rolled steel checking as soon as a 1/2" plate came out of the rolling mill 1300-1800F. TemplStik is used on large pieces of metal that are cooling somewhat slowly without heat being applied. Even a 1/2" steel plate will cool a 100F in 5-10 seconds. It's been 25 yrs since i did this kind of work. I used to hold about 4 stiks of different temp grades in 1 hand and wipe them all at once. Hand held Pyrometers replaced TemplStix for almost all industrial work. There is only 1 correct thing to do , use 750F Templaq on the neck I.D. It's imposible to over heat the body or head if you stop the heat at 750F. Annealing is real simple if you don't overheat. You need to be over at least 900F for more than 5-10? seconds to start more rapid softening. From my experience I noticed in a dark room the very end of the neck starts getting red before the bulk of the neck. Just use 750F Templaq and you don't needd to know anything else about annealing. Real simple.

chuckswagger and hambone1971 like this.
  12. brians356

Who anneals necks by focusing the flame on the body?
    -

13. Webster

Webster

I never said the flame was on the body I was talking about not over heating the body with 750F Templaq on the neck i.d. and the flame on the neck and upper shoulder area.

14. brians356

Oh.
    -

15. chuckswagger

chuckswagger

Thank you!
    I just buy a Tempilak